Phil Jurkovec

Anyone care to give their opinion on what Pitt can expect from Phil Jurkovec?  I live in Pittsburgh and follow Pitt as well as Notre Dame, but I didn't see much of Phil either at ND or BC, and I'm curious about how the ND fans who did follow him view his prospects.

I think Phil has a good amount of physical talent. He was a Top 100-ish recruit. But he has always struck me as someone who doesn't have the mental fortitude when things get tough - although, that may be too harsh. He also can be a bit reckless in terms of putting his body on the line, which is probably why he's dealt with his fair share of injuries throughout his career. He can be a really good running QB, but he's a mediocre passing QB. He had some weird mechanical issues at ND, which is part of why he left (he and his family thought Tommy Rees hurt his development, although I'm sure part of that had to do with Tommy's coaching style, which can be in your face and harsh - "Do your f**king job." 

I think he's a good pickup for Pitt. He has NFL talent (I doubt he'd ever be a starter, but he has the tools to get drafted and hang around for 5 years). Maybe being back home will give him an extra boost. But I don't think he's going to light the world on fire. Put it this way, I don't think he'll be much better than Kedon Slovis was last year.

Phil is gonna be mediocre.  He’s one of those guys who hit his ceiling in high school.  Enjoy Sweet Caroline at the end of the 3rd and then leave to hit the bar, because you’re not gonna see much from him that makes it worth staying for the entire game…

Phil showed flashes of elite talent, but played behind a terrible line and couldn't escape the injury bug. In my opinion, Phil could make a splash and make Pitt a better team than most predict. He wont be a NFL QB in my opinion because he is too chaotic, but he could be a great college QB.

Thanks.  Kind of a mixed bag.  Slovis held them back, in my opinion, so I hope Phil is better.  Maybe he'll be motivated by this being his last chance.  I'm coming out for the Pitt game, , between my two favorite teams.

• 2 weeks later...