2023 Fighting Irish X's and O's Thread

Depth Charts came out today

What they did say

Thomas has moved to an outside receiver position, backed up by Colzie. So I assume thats Lenzy's spot.

Tyree starting at what I am going to call z(slot), He's backed up by Greathouse. So I assume its a Small z for their motion/RPO stuff and A Big Z for their 3 and 6 in a crucial situation stuff.

They're starting Tobias  Merriweather at the #1. Can't teach 6'4 with speed. Just hope he is ready for the increased responsibility.

What it doesn't say.

ND runs a base nickle defense. No mention of the nickel back. I guarantee we won't be in 4-3 much against Ohio State, USC or Clemson.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

What they did say

Thomas has moved to an outside receiver position, backed up by Colzie. So I assume thats Lenzy's spot.

Tyree starting at what I am going to call z(slot), He's backed up by Greathouse. So I assume its a Small z for their motion/RPO stuff and A Big Z for their 3 and 6 in a crucial situation stuff.

They're starting Tobias  Merriweather at the #1. Can't teach 6'4 with speed. Just hope he is ready for the increased responsibility.

What it doesn't say.

ND runs a base nickle defense. No mention of the nickel back. I guarantee we won't be in 4-3 much against Ohio State, USC or Clemson.

I found this interesting too, because I thought they would mention it. This whole Aztec Position that I thought Lewis would be in. 

14 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

What they did say

What it doesn't say.

I wonder if future depth charts with include the nickel - can't remember if they did last season. Maybe because they're running a 4-4-3 on Saturday, they didn't include it. 

Regardless, I believe the nickel depth chart would be: 1. Harper 2. Lewis

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, tneun89 said:

I wonder if future depth charts with include the nickel - can't remember if they did last season. Maybe because they're running a 4-4-3 on Saturday, they didn't include it. 

Given that they have at least 3 different defensive packages (base, nickel, dime - or whatever they call them these days) and at least two different offensive packages (one vs two TEs), it is possible that someone will start (i.e. play in the very first play of the game) who is not technically listed as a starter on the official depth chart.

In any case, I believe that you are correct regarding Harper and Lewis at the nickel.

Edited by jbrown_9999
  • Heart 1

image.png

Here is the Estime/ Hartman Effect. If I was predicting a play up top its a 90 percent running formation. You have two tight ends acting like fullbacks inserting blocks into the line of scrimmage to lead Estime for a gain. Except Sam Hartman's on the field. By reputation we better keep two safties back. The percentages are correct your down a hat in the run game and you just gave up ten yards and a first down on the ground

image.png

Well next play. Sam's throwing for sure. Navy  is in soft zone. Well there's a 10 yard throw available to Jayden Thomas, But what are the odds he rips it wide side his first throw? Very good actually. Snap, Rocker(thats a Brian Kelly term) and fire in between the corner and safety for a second straight 1st down.

Later in the Series there is a 3rd and 10 where they just call a hand-off because 1) they wanted to use 4 downs and 2.) with off coverage and 2 safeties deep its such a good run look.

image.png

Hartman's passing complimenting the ND running has me smiling.

• Flames 1

On 8/22/2023 at 6:46 AM, tneun89 said:

I’m just taking a wild guess and thinking that they didn’t care about Navy throwing and wanted to preserve(keep guys fresh) for future opponents. I think we’ll see more done and nickel coverage once ND plays Ohio State and probably NC State. 

Wasn’t Harper coming back from a shoulder injury?  Maybe the need to thrust him into a hit first role against Navy wasn’t needed. 

Lastly, it looks like this defense is going to be prepared to play all types of exotic looks and fronts. We may never see the same defense weekly- 4-4-3, to 4-3-4, 5-1-5.  And so in. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

Here's NCST first 3rd down stop. They  have the "center fielder" single safety and the corners playing "half-way"   To me there's 3 types of cornerback depths. Press, halfway, and off. To me the guys to the Field are half-way the guy to the bottom is pressed, and the running back and safety are "off". The corner takes the guy behind the LOS and the safety takes the wideout on the. It look like if he threw the in-breaking route the drive would have continued but he went for the wheel route and threw it out of bounds