2023 Fighting Irish X's and O's Thread

Mike
This post was recognized by Mike!

FaithInIrish Forever was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

Since @Baldy  was nice enough to take a bulk of the Fall Camp Updates on and we're winding down the countdown. I'm going to start a thread I truly enjoy.

Disclaimer: I'm not an X's  and O's expert. I'm not and never have been a player or a coach. I just like the strategy aspect alot and do think I observe the game very well.

Wide receivers: For the fist time in years the roster has the right number of athletes to run a truly spread offense. Alexander's recruiting is being replaced by Stuckeys on a fast track. Stuckey knows that  WRs need to know Mutiple positions and is recruiting guys who can catch the ball before worrying what they do after the catch.

@Mike if you think this is too repetitive or needs a better title be my guest.

This drill is a play-action drill Stuckey wants the receiver to sell the route a bit more.

These wheel route drills are typical of this year but new since spring. So I expect more "Wide and Fly" type plays. Thats not an official play name but the outside wide receiver will clear out deep. and The back will go right behind the outside receiver. Makes a linebacker run a long way, or allows the back to hitch(stop) before he gets to the safety.

• Heart 2

@jessemoore97 You'll like this one. This is  a seam route. Alot of spring, national writers were calling Greathouse a tight end because of this route. You see a GA out there to be a linebacker, He's locating the linebacker following his reads and getting to the correct spot in the seam(between the backer and safety)

• Heart 3

8 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Here's a new Biagi(Special teams) drill where they are trying to get a legal block or the defender wins by getting to the returner (tackling device)

Thats pretty awesome to see.  The dude looks the part.  I feel he is going to be a stud with a QB like Hartman.   I have never been one to countdown the days...Who am I kidding....I have always counted the days!   LETS GO IRISH!!

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

"Then there’s the “Aztec” who lines up in the middle like a free safety but often plays more like a nickel or even a true linebacker Then they played a lot of coverages in which they’d create varieties of quarters coverages on the outside with Baldwin playing either in a “robber” role in the middle of the field..."

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/7/5/15893384/the-aztec-defender-san-diego-state-rocky-long-3-3-5

The kids safties were talking about an Aztec.

DJ brown and Carter, So I think we'll see some 3-3-5 nikel with 3 safeties this year too.

27 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

How does Estime fair in a wide open Hartman type offense?

A. Its Football. Estime is good at football, he'll make it work.

B. It will take a minute for where estime once had 7 blockers he will now have 5 or 6. 

A.

A spread out offense usually also spreads out the defense so hopefully less in the box.  Add in the threat of Hartman going deep at anytime, should be a nice recipe for success.

This guy is a load to bring down, once he hits the second level it will be fun to see him pummel guys.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

B. It will take a minute for where estime once had 7 blockers he will now have 5 or 6. 

I would say A as well.

Estime is too big and too much of a bruiser, so he will make it work.

His yard per carry are crazy high too! However, his only downside last season was ball control, but he appeared to get a handle on it after the Stanford game. So, should stay the same. 🤞🏼

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

On 8/8/2023 at 1:53 PM, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Agreed with my bros above.  Estime is just going to end up doing even more damage with the spread offense.  More room to run equals more speed to blow up defenders 

• Heart 1
  • Flames 2

Starting this week, the scout team will be facing the Irish #1 and #2 D.  Saw that Freeman mentioned that the scout team had been practicing Navy's O after hours so the coaching staff could focus on getting them ready to give the Irish D a good look. I assume that they hold the scout team out of other practices so that they do not violate the maximum hours of practice limits. In any case, smart coaching and I hope it pays dividends.

Edited by jbrown_9999
  • Heart 2

Just now, jbrown_9999 said:

Starting this week, the scout team will be facing the Irish #1 and #2 D.  Saw that Freeman mentioned that the scout team had been practicing Navy's O after hours so the coaching staff could focus on getting them ready to give the Irish D a good look. I assume that they hold the scout team out of other practices so that they do not violate the maximum hours of practice limits. In any case, smart coaching and I hope it pays dividends.

He'll get them ready. Hopefully it goes smoothly. 

• Heart 1