Jack Swarbrick speaks out about the future of the NCAA

Yes our AD is speaking out to the media trying to get NCAA/ Government to act before college sports are changed forever.

https://apple.news/Aos67bFDESpisiOYvqsntFA

Without resolutions to name, image and likeness from itself, Congress and professional sports, the NCAA is in jeopardy of eventually breaking apart, says Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick.

In an Op-Ed in the New York Times, as well as an interview with Sports Illustrated, Swarbrick painted a stark picture of the future of college athletics if NIL continues to evolve without governance and college athletes are deemed employees—something he expects to happen in the coming months.

Despite many of his colleagues petitioning for significant Congressional intervention, Swarbrick and Jenkins call for only “limited” federal legislation. They say Congress should rule that college athletes are not employees, preempt differing state NIL laws and allow college athletics to create NIL rules for the sake of competitive equity. They also believe the NFL should create a minor league for young players, and that the NBA should eliminate the one-and-done rule.

Swarbrick and Jenkins also write that the NCAA and its member schools should establish more stringent rules to police NIL endeavors. Without such legislation and enforcement, Swarbrick suggests to SI that the years-long splintering of the association will reach extremes, with rich, like-minded college programs breaking away.

In a view shared by many within the industry, Swarbrick expressed his intention on protecting the century-old educational mission of college athletics, which, at its highest level, is drifting toward a professional model where boosters and booster-led collectives are distributing salaries to players under the guise of NIL. The evolution of NIL has created an unregulated free agency and false market where college athletes are signing five-, six- and even seven-figure contracts to play for certain schools, administrators say.

Among Swarbrick and Jenkins’s other suggestions in the op-ed: The NCAA should also (1) establish a national class-miss policy that limits each team’s travel schedule to avoid missing too many classes; (2) create a national medical trust fund for those injured while playing college sports; and (3) honor scholarships for athletes who wish to return to school to complete their degree.

Edited by NYGoldenDomer
Added quotes from article to give some context for the OP

Read his article earlier this week and thought he was spot on. College athletics needs to be about student athletes not a minor league for the NFL or a one and done stepping stone to the NBA. It should be incumbent on the professional organizations to create their own systems for those that can’t obtain or don’t want a higher education. Stop free loading off college and universities and finishing what institution of higher education are first and foremost. 

Do I think it is a pipe dream site due to the insane amount of money being made sure. There is far too much money to be made in college athletics that filters down all the way to selling parents of 4 year olds to pick one sport and stick with “x” league and they too will get a scholarship. Which is all complete nonsense. 

BL - College athletes should be students first and schools should be penalized for each player that doesn’t get a real degree in an accredited major in five years (four should be the standard though). 

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Josh pate had an interesting take on this he said Alums feel like ND is a University with a football team. Fans feel it needs to be football first.

Where do you guys stand? I'm in the middle I want a competitive football program that still graduates players who are ready for life after football.

It makes sense what Josh said. After spending years there as a student you learn there is so much more to the University than just football. Although I am a big fan of college football and football is what first attracted me to Notre Dame at first . I guess I am somewhat in the middle myself because I would like to see a GREAT football team and still be a great academic/spiritual institution. I know I might be highly delusional but I am happy.

• Heart 2

51 minutes ago, ND_JACK said:

It makes sense what Josh said. After spending years there as a student you learn there is so much more to the University than just football. Although I am a big fan of college football and football is what first attracted me to Notre Dame at first . I guess I am somewhat in the middle myself because I would like to see a GREAT football team and still be a great academic/spiritual institution. I know I might be highly delusional but I am happy.

I'm right there with you.  Biggest challenge in the modern era. All the sweeter it will be when it works. I said "when" not if by choice.

For reference.

I have no interest in anything Swarbrick has to say.  I believe he has done a lot of good for ND athletics but I think his ego is now out of control.  I'm hoping now that he's seen ND out of the pandemic and hired the next men's basketball coach that he will be convinced to step aside and allow someone new to come in with fresh ideas.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

I have no interest in anything Swarbrick has to say.  I believe he has done a lot of good for ND athletics but I think his ego is now out of control.  I'm hoping now that he's seen ND out of the pandemic and hired the next men's basketball coach that he will be convinced to step aside and allow someone new to come in with fresh ideas.  

He'll get to choose when to retire. He's like a model AD for most of the country. Hope ND's next hire is bold.

• 2 weeks later...

I mean, the NFL basically does have a minor league system now.  Two, in fact.  If players don't want to play school, go become a free agent in the XFL or the USFL.  Show your worth there and hope to be picked up by some NFL scouting radar. It shouldn't be hard to be seen.