Coach Rees MIA?

30 minutes ago, Irish_Thunder said:

He is mia in all the recruiting pictures this week... 

Do you think he's on a mission to bring home a grad transfer QB, or interviewing for HC gigs?

I'm really torn on my feelings about him as a coach, but he's definitely well respected in the industry. 

I would think a Grad transfer. I think when the Irish get the players to have a balanced offense Rees will have a year or two that surprises a lot of people.

• Heart 2

34 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I would think a Grad transfer. I think when the Irish get the players to have a balanced offense Rees will have a year or two that surprises a lot of people.

Agreed. No play caller is perfect. Give the guy a real QB and see how he does (I know it’s his job to find a real QB and between Minchey, Carr, and hopefully a top-flight transfer, he’s crushing it there all the sudden.)

• Heart 2

Rees's true test is in the next 3 years. So far, he's had limited options at QB, and has been handcuffed. Now in 2025, no excuses if Carr sticks and continues to get top 5 grades next season in HS. I hope he finds a legit grad transfer this offseason. Regardless, if not in ND, he'll find a good job. 

4 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I just saw too many players open to be too critical of Rees. Coaches can't make the play. They can draw it, help practice it, call it, but when the time comes only the players can make the play work.

Very true faith, Ian Book was another guy who didn't see a lot of open WR. He was much more gifted with his legs and dominated the okay to bad teams. 

• Heart 1

I won’t miss him if he goes. Kind of hope he does leave. 
ND can find a proven OC. The program has an upward trajectory. There would be a lot of interest.

To me, Tommy is kind of like Kelly. He’s a perfectly adequate OC. Limits on the ceiling. I don’t think ND will ever reach the heights with TR as OC.

If he is the OC next year and ND goes 8-4 again, will people still blame that on the players?

Players gotta make plays, but coaches have to create schemes that suit the players, and coaches have to be able to adjust during games. 

Edited by AnTostal

I’m indifferent. Pyne did progress during the season. And Rees has been hand-cuffed at the position.  But who’s fault is that?  His or Kelly’s at what they have right now.  I’ve also seen that Rees is working for things later on. There were numerous times Lenzy was open deep and someone overthrew him. That’s good play calling when you set things up. But I also seen Rees befuddle me with some decisions this year. The USC gameplan. 3rd and 1 jet sweep to open the game, the Marshall gameplan etc. So, he has his faults. I also haven’t seen many exotic designs to break up things. I get it…you can’t design your offense every game like that. But you have to be creative and know when to be creative. He’s been limited in that regard imo. Then, back to Pyne. He focused mainly on Mayer. Could Ree’s offense been better if he spread the ball out more?  Next year should tell me more about if Rees should stay or go?

He's been in pursuit of a grad transfer QB. Sounds like Leary and Card are the main two. Pratt (Tulane) if he enters the portal. Not sure of any other realistic targets right now.

I would bet 2023 is his last season. It will have been his 4th season as OC, which is incredible rare at ND - can you name the last OC to make it four years? He will be a HC of a lower-tier P5 team or he will be an NFL OC.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

He's been in pursuit of a grad transfer QB. Sounds like Leary and Card are the main two. Pratt (Tulane) if he enters the portal. Not sure of any other realistic targets right now.

I would bet 2023 is his last season. It will have been his 4th season as OC, which is incredible rare at ND - can you name the last OC to make it four years? He will be a HC of a lower-tier P5 team or he will be an NFL OC.

Pratt just took his name out of the portal. 

5 hours ago, tneun89 said:

I'd love to see Card at QB for ND next year.  He has 2 years of eligibility left(?).  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ndomer4 said:

I didn’t think he was ever in the portal. Do you have a source? 

I'm guessing that there were rumors of him entering it sometime.  I think Big alluded to someone who was going to wait until after bowl season, though I don't know if it was him.

He had a good year, folks probably think he could do better with NIL and get more eyes at a P5.  Who knows.

• Heart 1

I think Shaw is a very talented play caller and QB developer.  Don't think he has the ego that Rees has either.  Shaw embraces the running game which is important for ND with their OL strength.  I think he's smug and a bit annoying too but I can see the talent and look past it.