Improved run blocking

I’ll give credit where credit is due.

I thought he was basically an incompetent frig as an OL coach during his first tenure. 

im glad to see HH lines reach into the bag and run the ball at will.. regardless of perceived competition.

Push can be related to its competition. Cohesion was irrefutable as these guys for the most part knew who was doing what and where to go.. for that I applaud them. Will they be able to man handle more capable fronts? We’ll see..

mixed in power, inside zone and some split zone concepts to get easy completions to Pyne. 

Edited by JTennant

3 minutes ago, JTennant said:

I’ll give credit where credit is due.

I thought he was basically an incompetent frig as an OL coach during his first tenure. 

im glad to see HH lines reach into the bag and run the ball at will.. regardless of perceived competition.

Push can be related to its competition. Cohesion was irrefutable as these guys for the most part knew who was doing what and where to go.. for that I applaud them. Will they be able to man handle more capable fronts? We’ll see..

mixed in power, inside zone and some split zone concepts to get easy completions to Pyne. 

You threw me a changeup there @JTennant! That 2nd half was a very well executed rushing attack. Mixed the plays, repeated what worked, I had no complaints, unlike the 1st half and 1st two games.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

You threw me a changeup there @JTennant! That 2nd half was a very well executed rushing attack. Mixed the plays, repeated what worked, I had no complaints, unlike the 1st half and 1st two games.

Just calling that shit like I saw it. I'm not saying they're back, or HH is the greatest OL coach, but I saw great improvement and better performance against a solid power 5 team that's averaged top 50 recruiting rankings over the last 4 years where as we saw much worse performances against much worse competition in the first tenure here. The fact that he did it with much scrutiny and noise around the program taking over for an atrocious OL coach gives me optimism. 

I let the door open to this in my first assessments years ago, but also admitting I might have been wrong about him being an over rated piece of hot garbage shit bag OL coach, go irish. 

• Heart 2

On 9/17/2022 at 7:50 PM, zemaniak said:

Granted. But it’s Cal.

if we dominate UNC, I take it back.

the biggest issue with the Oline was missed assignments/free defenders into the backfield. It's not like the Oline was getting pummeled, they were just not putting hands on the right people. That has nothing to do with which team they are playing against. A high school team could look pretty good if they have free defenders able to get into the backfield. The blitzes/stunts that got ND early on were because of missed assignments. If ND can fix that (which it seems like they improved it mid game after the first stunt blitz by my MLB worked on them) then they have the horses to compete with anyone.

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

20 hours ago, JTennant said:

Just calling that shit like I saw it. I'm not saying they're back, or HH is the greatest OL coach, but I saw great improvement and better performance against a solid power 5 team that's averaged top 50 recruiting rankings over the last 4 years where as we saw much worse performances against much worse competition in the first tenure here. The fact that he did it with much scrutiny and noise around the program taking over for an atrocious OL coach gives me optimism. 

I let the door open to this in my first assessments years ago, but also admitting I might have been wrong about him being an over rated piece of hot garbage shit bag OL coach, go irish. 

I think you are always fair(if its good you say its good, if its bad you have a specific example and a solution), and have a great eye for the game. I'll always really enjoy talking to you.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

the biggest issue with the Oline was missed assignments/free defenders into the backfield. It's not like the Oline was getting pummeled, they were just not putting hands on the right people. That has nothing to do with which team they are playing against. A high school team could look pretty good if they have free defenders able to get into the backfield. The blitzes/stunts that got ND early on were because of missed assignments. If ND can fix that (which it seems like they improved it mid game after the first stunt blitz by my MLB worked on them) then they have the horses to compete with anyone.

Great points, but my take is a bit different I guess?  I was seeing them getting no push first two games, but maybe that’s just my untrained eye

17 hours ago, zemaniak said:

Great points, but my take is a bit different I guess?  I was seeing them getting no push first two games, but maybe that’s just my untrained eye

Yes. You're correct. They weren't getting push and pass-pro was turning guys loose on almost every series. In zone run blocking, communication can be the culprit from lack of push. if you're not trusting where you're supposed to go you're gonna play hesitant and get slapped around and both turning guys loose in pass pro if you don't know where the pressure is coming from. Many teams get those calls from the QB and or Center and some might even be from the booth. 

In HH first tenure they failed to get good push against really week teams and that really comes down to trusting the call, trusting your teaching and communication with the other guys on the line. The zone run can be the most effective run play because lineman adjust the blocking assignments based on the front and what side the ball is going to. Power is blocked to a gap mostly regardless of alignment.

30 minutes ago, zemaniak said:

Makes sense. So…. Zone blocking not ideal if “student-athletes” don’t have enough time to practice it?

Football 101: The zone blocking scheme - The Phinsider

So zone blocking is where the line takes a step and determines if they are covered or Uncovered and either blocks or doubles accordingly. As you can see, each zone play gives the back three options. As I understand it @JTennant uncovered lineman help double and then work to release to the linebackers

RB reads(I did not mean to imply an order of operation)

a. Hit it right at the front side Guard

b.  bounce it outside toward the tackle.

c. Cut it back towards the center or farther

20 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Football 101: The zone blocking scheme - The Phinsider

So zone blocking is where the line takes a step and determines if they are covered or Uncovered and either blocks or doubles accordingly. As you can see, each zone play gives the back three options. As I understand it @JTennant uncovered lineman help double and then work to release to the linebackers

RB reads(I did not mean to imply an order of operation)

a. Hit it right at the front side Guard

b.  bounce it outside toward the tackle.

c. Cut it back towards the center or farther

And this diagram shows exactly why teams have been successful in blitzing the A gap. Or at least showing why there has been confusion on who’s blocking the A gap. 

On 9/20/2022 at 3:56 PM, FaithInIrishForever said:

Simple Rules for the Pin and Pull Play | Blocking Scheme

Here's pin and pull 

Just like it sounds in this one

The TE(Labled Y) and the Guard (pin, create a seal), the RT and center pull around to lead block

I read and article where Aaron Taylor said that Quinn was a big proponent of pin and pull, but Hiestand isn’t. I haven’t watched closely enough, but it will be interesting to see how Hiestand differs from Quinn. 

25 minutes ago, Frankus said:

I read and article where Aaron Taylor said that Quinn was a big proponent of pin and pull, but Hiestand isn’t. I haven’t watched closely enough, but it will be interesting to see how Hiestand differs from Quinn. 

Heistand will run gap as many coaches call pin and pull, but he does like inside zone, outside zone and stretch more.

We ran gap quite a bit to start the season, we were swinging and missing the lead blocks quite a bit.

Last week he seemed to to say we're running our inside zone play until we block it correctly and by the 2nd half it looked like a picture out of a coaches clinic. So I don't see him losing his inside zone play anytime soon.

• Flames 1