Where's It All Headed?

Penn State players are now demanding a share of BIG10 conference revenue, as well as other benefits.  NIL isn't enough(?).

I love college football.  But, not sure if I like where all of this seems to be going.  The times, they are a-changin'.

https://thespun.com/big-ten/big-ten-football-players-have-reportedly-made-serious-demands

Edited by AnTostal

It is definitely more along the lines of an employer-employee relationship than institution - student / athlete. If it were me, I would go ahead and share but put the players under contract. If they leave a year early for the NFL they have to return a portion of the revenue and benefits to offset the loss. If they transfer after one year, they have to return a portion as well. As far as healthcare goes, it is probably long overdue. I don't think there is an argument to be made anymore that football doesn't cause long term damage to these players and I hate to see them disabled for life or, worse, dead young due to CTE related issues.

There is an air of entitlement to all of this that makes it feel more like reparations than a negotiation. The grumpy old man in me has a problem with that.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, EddieAngel said:

It is definitely more along the lines of an employer-employee relationship than institution - student / athlete. If it were me, I would go ahead and share but put the players under contract. If they leave a year early for the NFL they have to return a portion of the revenue and benefits to offset the loss. If they transfer after one year, they have to return a portion as well. As far as healthcare goes, it is probably long overdue. I don't think there is an argument to be made anymore that football doesn't cause long term damage to these players and I hate to see them disabled for life or, worse, dead young due to CTE related issues.

There is an air of entitlement to all of this that makes it feel more like reparations than a negotiation. The grumpy old man in me has a problem with that.

I know what you saying. The arrogance I feel is perceived that just because I play football that you owe me a million dollars or an NIL deal. 
Shit, I had full time classes, played baseball full time, and had classes full time in college. “That’s the old man in me.”  
But now everyone in college football gets paid. The players, the coaches, the AD’s, commissioners..   so much money from boosters. BUT, somehow schools are still in the red. Maybe these tv deals will help with all that. I just have a hard time believing that that this much money will result in a better product for everyone. 

I just see my Saturdays getting more freed up each passing year with no slowing down.  I'm actually happier now that my youngest says he wants no part of college and wants to go to work in the trades etc where they are begging for bodies and no one wants to work.  No crushing debt or worthless degrees.  He decided against playing football after freshman year, which was upsetting because he had a lot of potential at 6'06.  But long term with all the seismic changes to amateur athletics and other crap, I think he's made the better and more mature decision for him.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, EddieAngel said:

Totally agree on the employee/employer relationship. If this is the route it goes down, you’re now an employee. Poor performer? You can lose your full ride and your spot. 4 year scholarships no longer exist and you’re now held to a contract. I know you’re in school now, but now you need to hold up your end of a contract you signed for a sport. Would like to see them giv ehewlth benefits and everything, but all the other “gimme gimme gimme” air around this isn’t a good thing

"student-athlete" is no more, which many of us stated would happen if NIL became a thing. People always seem to fail to see the slippery slope these things produce. If college athletics fails due to this, I hope you "piece of the pie" people will sleep well knowing you supported it.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1