How to Govern NIL and the Transfer Portal

I really think things are going to get out of hand with these changes to the CFB landscape. It’s like the Wild West out there, some schools are promising salaries and others are taking 15-20 transfers each season. Do you now sign 25-30 kids each season anticipating transfers when kids are upset they’re not number 1 on the depth chart by their sophomore season? 

How does the NCAA get a grip on this? We are seeing some guys transfer 3-4 times throughout their college career and to me this seems a little ridiculous. The NIL is going to be much tougher to regulate. We know the SEC schools were tossing bags of money at these kids prior. Now they can justify that under the guise of the NIL. 

I’m curious to see everyone’s thoughts on how to navigate this. It’s not going anywhere and the sport will be drastically changed, for better or for worse. 

10 minutes ago, Tailgate Approved said:

I side with the players. If a coach can go to a small school to develop their skills and get poached by a bigger, better school later, why shouldn't the players?

Yes, this makes it easier for the rich to get richer (Gibbs to Bama), but it also allows the players to get richer.

I am all for giving the players some power. I will argue however that the majority of players commit to a school because of the school and not the coach. There are a few exceptions of course, but you can bet the majority of guys commit to ND for ND, not the coach.

I think the problem comes when guys are transferring to other schools because they are being offered more money. How do we know that money is legit? This is where the problem lies. 

Not when money is involved. There were rumors of a massive NIL deal for Caleb Williams to come to Georgia to play. Whether it is true or not:

1) He is a starter, it is not like he buried in the depth chart

2) It is a money grab, so when a 2nd or 3rd tier team finds that diamond in the rough, they could very easily lose him the next year.

The point is that college is becoming too much like a business for the STUDENT athletes, which it should not be and is the main reason why many people prefer college to the NFL. It has given too much power to the STUDENT athlete and made it all about money.

College sports is a business (and a big one). The fact that these kids are finally able to take advantage of the fair market value that their hard work and talent has made possible is a great thing in my estimation.

All of the institutions and other people associated with the game(s) have been able to make money off the student athletes for decades. Why shouldn't the athletes be able to cash in on that?

I am wondering when they have to draw a line and consider these big schools to be in a semi-professional non-collegiate league and then ultimately how long before they go the route of the NBA and allow kids straight out of high school or 1 year removed to join in a D-league model. 

The money is a big deal with recruiting. No one is going to convince me that A&M got 4 5 star recruits off of reputation or coach. The money is flowing and NIL just made the bagman profession a legitimate one.

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

Not when money is involved. There were rumors of a massive NIL deal for Caleb Williams to come to Georgia to play. Whether it is true or not:

1) He is a starter, it is not like he buried in the depth chart

2) It is a money grab, so when a 2nd or 3rd tier team finds that diamond in the rough, they could very easily lose him the next year.

The point is that college is becoming too much like a business for the STUDENT athletes, which it should not be and is the main reason why many people prefer college to the NFL. It has given too much power to the STUDENT athlete and made it all about money.

It’s always been about money now there’s a problem because you just don’t like who is getting the money.

Kyle Hamilton’s two INTs against Florida St. weren’t any less exciting because he sells rhoback shirts and does a podcast. 

Edited by Pregame

5 minutes ago, Pregame said:

It’s always been about money now there’s a problem because you just don’t like who is getting the money.

Yes, when it turns students into professionals and makes it all about money. The point is that they were NOT professional yet. they were playing for a FREE Education and the chance to play a sport as a professional.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

Yes, when it turns students into professionals and makes it all about money. The point is that they were NOT professional yet. they were playing for a FREE Education and the chance to play a sport as a professional.

And now they’re getting much more than a free education. Why does this bother you?

2 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

They're still not professional athletes. The schools don't pay them to play.

They're professional famous people. They're getting paid because people know who they are, like influencers or the Kardashians.

Yes, people know who they are because they play sports. However, it's an important distinction.

The schools and NCAA don't want them to work as employees. Ok, but they can now make money for being celebrities (which they are).

• Heart 1

I agree the days where tv stations, schools, coaches make all the money and the kids only get the education should be behind us.

We all knew this would be the wild west when it hit. Is that a bad thing? In my mind no. It comes with drawbacks (rich get richer, bidding wars, transfers, etc).

I think what it really means is our mindset as fans of college football has to change. Most ppl on this site invest a lot of their time and energy into the kids, recruits, players in addition to the team? I think that will change. Players are going to transfer more and more and the idea that they will commit and be at that school for 3 or 4 years is going to be the exception, not the rule. 

It will be an adjustment for us to support the "team" on saturdays rather than the players we know so well that are on the team. Kind of weird honestly. I don't follow the NFL or have a team, but Id imagine it's more akin to this in the NFL

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

I agree the days where tv stations, schools, coaches make all the money and the kids only get the education should be behind us.

We all knew this would be the wild west when it hit. Is that a bad thing? In my mind no. It comes with drawbacks (rich get richer, bidding wars, transfers, etc).

I think what it really means is our mindset as fans of college football has to change. Most ppl on this site invest a lot of their time and energy into the kids, recruits, players in addition to the team? I think that will change. Players are going to transfer more and more and the idea that they will commit and be at that school for 3 or 4 years is going to be the exception, not the rule. 

It will be an adjustment for us to support the "team" on saturdays rather than the players we know so well that are on the team. Kind of weird honestly. I don't follow the NFL or have a team, but Id imagine it's more akin to this in the NFL

Maybe, but I don’t think transferring is or will be nearly as widespread as you think, especially once we’re a few years into this. For every Jameson Williams there’s probably 10+ Jordan Johnson types. 

37 minutes ago, Pregame said:

And now they’re getting much more than a free education. Why does this bother you?

Ya know, when I think about it I can’t be mad at the kids or the system but rather mad at ND for all the same old reasons. They aren’t going to change or bend their old ways to be competitive so you won’t see the same lucrative crazy deals in South Bend as you would in College Station.

2 hours ago, Pregame said:

It bothers me because it is going to change the college game I know and love.

I also dont like it when CEOs raise their prices to get more money. I dont care who is getting paid, if it is affects me, I'll have an opinion on it.