McElroy thinks USC should call Brian Kelly

19 minutes ago, Dardo said:

Dude we’ve played the name game for years now. Many people here and elsewhere have named possible replacements and you and your ilk say “HE SUCKS!” or “HED NEVER COME TO ND!” like you are both every coaches agent and can see the future. Nobody gives a shit that you are demanding we give you names, because you don’t want to have an actual discussion, you want to bitch and moan about how much more intelligent you are than all of us “idiots.” 

The question isn’t “Can I/anyone name a name that you believe is both realistic and 100% better than Kelly?” 

The question should be “Is Brian Kelly a good enough football coach to win a championship?” If he isn’t then he shouldn’t be here. If you believe he is good enough to win a title then that’s fine, and we can just agree to disagree. 

Your casual dismissal of finding a realistic replacement is exactly what’s wrong with college football fans. Firing an objectively successful HC with no replacement is peak stupidity. As I said earlier, I’ll bet my life there’s going to be a good portion of UGA fans ready to push Smart out the door if they don’t win it all. Fans need to get a grip on reality or at least be mocked mercilessly when they say stupid crap. 

And I do believe Kelly can win a title, but the stars are going to have to align correctly where there’s no dominant team in CF that season. ND is never going to beat a team like ‘20 Bama or ‘19 LSU bc those are two of the best teams of all time. They could eventually have a team that beats a ‘17 Bama or ‘16 Clemson. 

Edited by ELDER06

1 hour ago, ELDER06 said:

What names? I likely disregarded them bc they were stupid and proved you didn’t give much thought about it. 

I’ve said many times, my loyalty lies with ND. I just happen to not be totally ignorant of how insanely difficult it is for ND to compete with the elite in this sport. I would push Kelly out for Urban Meyer, but he seems to have sabotaged himself so badly, I can’t see anyway ND would be able to hire him. 

And Dusty Baker is going to the WS, and they have a legit chance to win it regardless if it’s LA or ATL.

I’m a Cubs fan and have had this discussion many years about Dusty. Just like you, they wanted to keep Dusty because he got them to the NLCS and it hadn’t been dont in quite a while. Like you, they thought that was some huge milestone. That is Cubs fans should just be happy we got to a big game that hasn’t happened in 20-30 years. Well, guess what?  Dusty didn’t win it with the Cubs have since won a World Series without him. Looks like they made the right choice in letting him go. Now Dusty has landed in an amazing spot where the Astros are pretty much the same team minus a few pitchers and Springer and he’s back to the World Series. Good for him. BUT, will he win it?  Or will he show his true colors just like every year and bomb?  You know he has the most wins as a coach to never win a World Series don’t you?  Doesn’t say he’s not a good coach. Just means he doesn’t motivate or push the right buttons when it’s time to shine. Remind you someone?  Again, Kelly will retire so it’s moot. Enjoy watching Kelly win 9-10 games a year for the next 4 years only to get blown out in every big game that isn’t tainted by Covid or injuries or some crap. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, coltssb said:

I’m a Cubs fan and have had this discussion many years about Dusty. Just like you, they wanted to keep Dusty because he got them to the NLCS and it hadn’t been dont in quite a while. Like you, they thought that was some huge milestone. That is Cubs fans should just be happy we got to a big game that hasn’t happened in 20-30 years. Well, guess what?  Dusty didn’t win it with the Cubs have since won a World Series without him. Looks like they made the right choice in letting him go. Now Dusty has landed in an amazing spot where the Astros are pretty much the same team minus a few pitchers and Springer and he’s back to the World Series. Good for him. BUT, will he win it?  Or will he show his true colors just like every year and bomb?  You know he has the most wins as a coach to never win a World Series don’t you?  Doesn’t say he’s not a good coach. Just means he doesn’t motivate or push the right buttons when it’s time to shine. Remind you someone?  Again, Kelly will retire so it’s moot. Enjoy watching Kelly win 9-10 games a year for the next 4 years only to get blown out in every big game that isn’t tainted by Covid or injuries or some crap. 

Yeah, they’re so awful losing in the playoff 2 of the last 3 yrs to the eventual national champ. Blow everything up and hire the hot new young coach, regardless if he’s interested in the job. 

2 hours ago, coltssb said:

I’m a Reds fan, I’m well aware of his reputation, but he just turned the table a bit by getting to the WS. 

And you keep acting like there’s a magical replacement, there’s not. Freeman might be that guy, but he needs a lot more experience and we still need to see what he can do schematically with his own recruits. The D has been better, but still not performed at all that high of a level. Fickell at UC is a great Coach, but he’s likely going to Penn St or USC. Campbell at ISU is a good coach, but I don’t know if he fits the culture of a major brand name program. So then who are you left with? Lane Kiffin? Not in a million years. Hugh Freeze? Not in a billion years. Urban Meyer & Jon Gruden, both out. Joe Brady from Carolina? He hates recruiting, wants to stay in the NFL. Bill O’Brien? Maybe, but he’s in the running for USC and LSU. Matt LaFluer isn’t leaving the NFL until he’s fired, which isn’t happening anytime soon. But he wasn’t that great in his 1 yr at ND and he might not even be that great of a Coach. Aaron Rodgers might be carrying him. 

22 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

I’m glad someone got the reference. Still, what a absolutely unbelievable hire. Just can’t imagine the thinking that went into that. 

I had the pleasure of meeting Gerry Faust at ND years ago. I have never met a more humble, gracious and thankful man in my life. 

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, ndmike88 said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Gerry Faust at ND years ago. I have never met a more humble, gracious and thankful man in my life. 

He recruited better at Moeller than ND. And he wasn’t very humble conning his way into the ND job.

44 minutes ago, coltssb said:

Uh. Should we bring up Tulsa…..

Kelly’s 1st season vs Fleck’s 5th. And BG is actually a lot worse than that Tulsa team. That Tulsa team finished 10-3 with Todd Graham as HC, BG is 2-6. No excuse, bc Kelly did lose that game with his idiocy, but Fleck isn’t the savior you build him up to be.

Edited by ELDER06

18 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

Kelly’s 1st season vs Fleck’s 5th. And BG is actually a lot worse than that Tulsa team. That Tulsa team finished 10-3 with Todd Graham as HC, BG is 2-6. No excuse, bc Kelly did lose that game with his idiocy, but Fleck isn’t the savior you build him up to be.

Ah, facts. The downfall of responses with no thought

54 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

You mean the same sorry Graham whose on his fifth head coaching job in about ten years?  The one who’s beat Kelly twice. The guy who couldn’t couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag?  Yeah, I live in Arizona,  I know all about the great Todd Graham.  No excuse whatsoever for Kelly to lose to Graham and Tulsa. 
You really don’t want to go here. What about Kelly in his “6th” season going 4-8?  How does that happen?  Did you forget about that?  What about in his third season when they had to vacate all there wins?  Or who puts a kid up in a lift with 50-70 mph winds?  I mean, I could go on.  You know why it’s so easy to go on….because although Kelly has done nice things at ND, he still hasn’t done it on the big stage. So cry all you want about Fleck, but he isn’t coaching a Nationally recognized program that has all the benefits to help him succeed. What benefits does Fleck have?  Minnesota. Minnesota.  I’ll wait….

• Cheers 1

Just now, coltssb said:

You mean the same sorry Graham whose on his fifth head coaching job in about ten years?  The one who’s beat Kelly twice. The guy who couldn’t couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag?  Yeah, I live in Arizona,  I know all about the great Todd Graham.  No excuse whatsoever for Kelly to lose to Graham and Tulsa. 
You really don’t want to go here. What about Kelly in his “6th” season going 4-8?  How does that happen?  Did you forget about that?  What about in his third season when they had to vacate all there wins?  Or who puts a kid up in a lift with 50-70 mph winds?  I mean, I could go on.  You know why it’s so easy to go on….because although Kelly has done nice things at ND, he still hasn’t done it on the big stage. So cry all you want about Fleck, but he isn’t coaching a Nationally recognized program that has all the benefits to help him succeed. What benefits does Fleck have?  Minnesota. Minnesota.  I’ll wait….

So I guess Dabo should get fired bc he’s in his 13th or 14th season and they’re heading towards a 4-5 win season. 

Also, Kelly won more at Cincinnati than Fleck has at MN or WMU.  And since that ‘16 season, he’s won at least 10 games every year, and they’re on track to do it again this year. 

Keep arguing on emotion with no data, you look really smart.

12 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

So I guess Dabo should get fired bc he’s in his 13th or 14th season and they’re heading towards a 4-5 win season. 

Also, Kelly won more at Cincinnati than Fleck has at MN or WMU.  And since that ‘16 season, he’s won at least 10 games every year, and they’re on track to do it again this year. 

Keep arguing on emotion with no data, you look really smart.

Hey, you brought up the seasons so that’s egg on you. 
Nice cherry picking stats to your liking. 
And I could give two donkey craps about Fleck by the way. But I’ll entertain. 
Sooo Kelly took over an 8-5 Cincinnati team in a conference that literally sucks. and made them better. So, It’s easy to win there. The same way Dantonio has won there. The same way Kelly has won there. The same way Fickel is winning there. It’s not hard to recruit and win in Cincinnati.  But kudos to you for bringing up a non factor. 
Fleck inherited a 1-11 Western Michigan team and left them with a 13-1 team. 
Then went to Minnesota to a team that lost a bunch of talented and atunk for two seasons. BUT, he did the unthinkable, he led them to there first division title since 1967!  In a tough conference to win. In a state and university not known for winning. At a program where it’s impossible to recruit. But yeah, let’s compare Cincinnati to Western Michigan and Minnesota. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, coltssb said:

Hey, you brought up the seasons so that’s egg on you. 
Nice cherry picking stats to your liking. 
And I could give two donkey craps about Fleck by the way. But I’ll entertain. 
Sooo Kelly took over an 8-5 Cincinnati team in a conference that literally sucks. and made them better. So, It’s easy to win there. The same way Dantonio has won there. The same way Kelly has won there. The same way Fickel is winning there. It’s not hard to recruit and win in Cincinnati.  But kudos to you for bringing up a non factor. 
Fleck inherited a 1-11 Western Michigan team and left them with a 13-1 team. 
Then went to Minnesota to a team that lost a bunch of talented and atunk for two seasons. BUT, he did the unthinkable, he led them to there first division title since 1967!  In a tough conference to win. In a state and university not known for winning. At a program where it’s impossible to recruit. But yeah, let’s compare Cincinnati to Western Michigan and Minnesota. 

5 seasons isn’t cherry picking anything. That’s a definitive trend. And Kelly had Cincinnati within 3 seconds of playing for a Title in 2009. If Texas doesn’t kick that FG to beat Nebraska in the B12 Title game, they’re playing Bama. 

On 10/19/2021 at 6:49 PM, AnTostal said:

I thought BK has a contract through 2024(?).  
Kelly might be a good fit overall for USC. I just don’t think he’ll do as well at any other school as he has done at ND.  

Kelly just turned 60. No other ND coach has coached until that age. MI truly beleive he will honor his contract and not sniff any other jobs at his age and retire at the end of that season to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

8 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

5 seasons isn’t cherry picking anything. That’s a definitive trend. And Kelly had Cincinnati within 3 seconds of playing for a Title in 2009. If Texas doesn’t kick that FG to beat Nebraska in the B12 Title game, they’re playing Bama. 

Cherry picking is comparing two different programs from two different conferences at two different times. You took Fleck’s first 5 years and comparing to Kelly’s coaching of year 16. Did you forget his Grand Valley State years and Central Michigan years?  So the man had years of experience before he took the cushy Cincinnati job.  One job that had a winning record prior. Fleck took probably the worst job in America at the time with NO experience and made Weatern Michigan a contender.  He did that in 4 years. That’s right, Fleck took a crappy program and made them legit in 4 years. Also got to a major power 5 conference in just 5 years of coaching. Kelly had to stay at Grand Valley for 13, then Central Michigan for three, then Cincy for three before coming to ND and FINALLY reaching that power 5 conference. Hmm. 
But enjoy. On my way to Maui and I love to just give you crap sometimes. Go Nd!

18 hours ago, ndmike88 said:

Along the same line. I was a senior at ND when Gerry was hired. I remember one Sunday afternoon there was a knock on my dorm room door. To my amazement when I opened it was the new head football coach Gerry Faust. I don’t remember the conversation just that he wanted to meet the students and introduce himself. So Gerry went door to door to ever dorm room on campus. You couldn’t help like the guy if you met him.