McElroy thinks USC should call Brian Kelly

21 hours ago, JTennant said:

What makes you say that?

I think he’s a very good coach. Good at running a program, good at public speaking, pretty good at recruiting, and presents a good overall image. 
I don’t think he’s a great game day coach and I don’t think he creates great game plans. He gets out-coached on the field of play on a regular basis, in my opinion. 
I just don’t think other upper tier schools would stick with a guy who constantly loses the biggest games. Sure, he has had a few good wins (Oklahoma, Clemson), but I doubt if many who post on DomerDomain would characterize Kelly as a “big game winner”.
Would USC stick with Kelly if he lost to Oregon and ND every year and got shellacked in bowl games?  Not more than 5 years I think. 
He’s a very good coach, coaching in what I believe is an ideal situation for him. It’s just my opinion, but I don’t think there’s a similar Kelly-centric environment out there.  I’m happy to have him at ND. We’ve seen what can happen when you don’t have a very good coach. I’d love to see what happens when ND has an exceptional coach.  I’d like to see a yeti too. 

Edited by AnTostal

41 minutes ago, coltssb said:

That’s your pool. And as someone mentioned earlier, most elite coaches don’t jump ship like Jimbo did. 
But there are always names and ND is going to have to find a coach eventually. 

Jimbo jumped from one football factory, to another football factory that had more money. Not really the same as top football factory coaching jumping to go to non-football factory. 

FSU isn't a top 20 revenue team anymore, while TAMU is a top 10ish. If Chainsaw Al was still alive and throwing millions at FSU, Jimbo might still be there. But Jimbo took Montey Davis's call, and his millions lol. 

2 hours ago, coltssb said:

That’s your pool. And as someone mentioned earlier, most elite coaches don’t jump ship like Jimbo did. 
But there are always names and ND is going to have to find a coach eventually. 

Yeah bc none of you even have a viable replacement, you just spew idiocy. Wasn’t Les Miles all the rage back in 2016? How’d he do at Kansas? 

Again, for how much some of you claim to care, you put zero thought into what you say. It’s shameful how dumb college football fanbases are. If it were up to all of you idiots, there’s be no coaches left, bc they’d all have been fired 3-4 times. 

11 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

Bc you’re a dumb c**t. None of you dumb motherfers even have an idea of who you’d replace him with, you’re just moronic impulsive dip s**ts who don’t have to be held accountable for your stupidity, so you blurt anything out. You are a f’n joke.

Say what you will about the coaching staff, but personal attacks against other members  like that are not going to fly. You've had a warning in the past, and this is the last one before posting privelages are affected.

You can get away with this is the tinder box forum, but keep it out of the general discussion. 

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Say what you will about the coaching staff, but personal attacks against other members  like that are not going to fly. You've had a warning in the past, and this is the last one before posting privelages are affected.

You can get away with this is the tinder box forum, but keep it out of the general discussion. 

Thank you Mike. I do like to needle him occasionally but yeah…..

back on topic. 

There are some good coaches out there. Saban wasn’t Saban when he was the db’s coach at Toledo. The same holds here for ND. They are going to have to find that up and comer who likes to recruit, know the X’s and O’s AND understand ND culture. Of course win a big game occasionally:). There out there. That’s up to Searbrick who is paid millions to make that call. 

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, AnTostal said:

Maybe Cincinnati Moeller has a good coach who would take the job?  😎

I’ve made my displeasure clear about Fickel. I know a lot here like him. I know he’s done well since the Ohio State debacle. But winning at Cincy and winning at ND are two different animals. Just ask Kelly 🙂

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

That’s who Elder is and has always been.

It's over and he's had a warning. If we need to issue another, it will be a loss of posting privileges for a set amount of time -- 24 hours to a week (TBD). Same rules for everyone on the board. I just want to tighten up the main discussions boards and keep that off of here, as no good comes from it. As long as it doesn't happen again, nothing to worry about going forward.

Also a reminder to anyone, there's a way to easily ignore posts from members on the board. You can hover over their profile picture & ignore, or go to Account > Ignore Users on the menu.

https://www.domerdomain.com/forum/ignore/

• Heart 3
  • Leprechaun 1

On 10/21/2021 at 9:28 AM, coltssb said:

Thank you Mike. I do like to needle him occasionally but yeah…..

back on topic. 

There are some good coaches out there. Saban wasn’t Saban when he was the db’s coach at Toledo. The same holds here for ND. They are going to have to find that up and comer who likes to recruit, know the X’s and O’s AND understand ND culture. Of course win a big game occasionally:). There out there. That’s up to Searbrick who is paid millions to make that call. 

But you can’t offer a name, so your point is useless. College Football fans (not just ND) are idiots. And I understand some coaches deserve to be fired (like O who I said 2 yrs ago was a joke), but how can you willfully ignore what’s happened to FSU, Texas, Miami, TN, and Nebraska?

Does anyone doubt that if ND fired Kelly in ‘16, his successor would’ve already been fired? You can’t build a competitive program with a revolving door of HCs. And yet, people who claim to care about ND, would treat the program like it’s a game of Madden. Fans need to educate themselves, bc this message board culture is a pit of stupidity with the loudest voices garnering the most attention. Basically, CF fans are like the Twitter of sports fandom. 

12 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

But you can’t offer a name, so your point is useless. College Football fans (not just ND) are idiots. And I understand some coaches deserve to be fired (like O who I said 2 yrs ago was a joke), but how can you willfully ignore what’s happened to FSU, Texas, Miami, TN, and Nebraska?

Does anyone doubt that if ND fired Kelly in ‘16, his successor would’ve already been fired? You can’t build a competitive program with a revolving door of HCs. And yet, people who claim to care about ND, would treat the program like it’s a game of Madden. Fans need to educate themselves, bc this message board culture is a pit of stupidity with the loudest voices garnering the most attention. Basically, CF fans are like the Twitter of sports fandom. 

I’ve given many names in the past but you disregard every one as fact that they wouldn’t succeed. So, the names anyone mentions is moot here. And before you cry about look at their record of these names..Pete Carroll was a prime example of being terrible before USC. Different folks thrive at different schools. But you have to make the jump at some point. 
I know you think Kelly is God and that he is the only one who could build a program and succeed at ND but that just isn’t true.  
I don’t want the Dusty Bakers of the world. Or being the 22nd season and finally winning a NC like Tom Osborne. 
ND has the money, they have the facilities now(thanks Kelly). There’s no reason that ND can’t be competitive to win a Natty. Unless you can guarantee that Kelly can win a title for the remainder of his contract-you can’t- them why hold on?  But we both know Kelly isn’t going anywhere so there’s no point in conversing about this anymore. 

• Heart 2

On 10/21/2021 at 8:31 AM, coltssb said:

I’ve made my displeasure clear about Fickel. I know a lot here like him. I know he’s done well since the Ohio State debacle. But winning at Cincy and winning at ND are two different animals. Just ask Kelly 🙂

Toastal's comment was a Gerry Faust joke.. You must be about 35 or less 😄

58 minutes ago, coltssb said:

I’ve given many names in the past but you disregard every one as fact that they wouldn’t succeed. So, the names anyone mentions is moot here. And before you cry about look at their record of these names..Pete Carroll was a prime example of being terrible before USC. Different folks thrive at different schools. But you have to make the jump at some point. 
I know you think Kelly is God and that he is the only one who could build a program and succeed at ND but that just isn’t true.  
I don’t want the Dusty Bakers of the world. Or being the 22nd season and finally winning a NC like Tom Osborne. 
ND has the money, they have the facilities now(thanks Kelly). There’s no reason that ND can’t be competitive to win a Natty. Unless you can guarantee that Kelly can win a title for the remainder of his contract-you can’t- them why hold on?  But we both know Kelly isn’t going anywhere so there’s no point in conversing about this anymore. 

What names? I likely disregarded them bc they were stupid and proved you didn’t give much thought about it. 

I’ve said many times, my loyalty lies with ND. I just happen to not be totally ignorant of how insanely difficult it is for ND to compete with the elite in this sport. I would push Kelly out for Urban Meyer, but he seems to have sabotaged himself so badly, I can’t see anyway ND would be able to hire him. 

And Dusty Baker is going to the WS, and they have a legit chance to win it regardless if it’s LA or ATL.

Edited by ELDER06

13 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

Dude we’ve played the name game for years now. Many people here and elsewhere have named possible replacements and you and your ilk say “HE SUCKS!” or “HED NEVER COME TO ND!” like you are both every coaches agent and can see the future. Nobody gives a shit that you are demanding we give you names, because you don’t want to have an actual discussion, you want to bitch and moan about how much more intelligent you are than all of us “idiots.” 

The question isn’t “Can I/anyone name a name that you believe is both realistic and 100% better than Kelly?” 

The question should be “Is Brian Kelly a good enough football coach to win a championship?” If he isn’t then he shouldn’t be here. If you believe he is good enough to win a title then that’s fine, and we can just agree to disagree. 

• Heart 2
  • Trophy 1