2023 Notre Dame Recruiting Prospects

15 hours ago, 4thand1 said:

Wondering why ND isn't in better shape so far with 2023 OL recruits?  They usually are looking better by now for some of the top guys.

That is an excellent question. Usually they have already nabbed one high recruit and has their hands on possibly another really high recruit. 
Although, I’ll gladly accept Vernon for losing one high o-linemen. They are really locking up the defensive side of the ball. 

6 hours ago, coltssb said:

That is an excellent question. Usually they have already nabbed one high recruit and has their hands on possibly another really high recruit. 
Although, I’ll gladly accept Vernon for losing one high o-linemen. They are really locking up the defensive side of the ball. 

I wonder if it has anything to do with film/in person evaluation and COVID related delay. I'm taking a stab at it, but I'd imagine it is easier to evaluate QB, WR, etc. in a camp setting or 7 on 7 than OL. Same with projecting the height/weight of the OL players from their Soph-Jr-Sr years.

TL;DR OL recruiting (eval + offers) might be behind other positions for 2023.

21 hours ago, 4thand1 said:

Wondering why ND isn't in better shape so far with 2023 OL recruits?  They usually are looking better by now for some of the top guys.

Last year we only had one OL committed at the same comparable time (now). And that was Tanoa. 

We might be behind on OL relevant to our past practice, but we're ahead of the game overall. We're already top 5, have more commits than most, and our AVG is the highest it's been that I can remember with 5 guys at this stage. 

Also consider we have some young guys with a lot of years left playing keys roles already. Fisher, Baker, Spindler, etc.. And then we also have the lingering impacts of Covid adding a free year to several guys that will likely remain as depth. 

Also, if you look at the 247 listing, I'm not sure when the statuses were updated.  A lot of our top OL prospects are listed there as "cool" on ND but I'm not sure that is accurate.  I think a handful of '23 OL came out this summer for the barbecue unless I'm mistaken, so we could be in better shape with them than it looks now.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:29 PM, 4thand1 said:

ND is in good shape for 5-star and #1 OT Kadyn Proctor - some even believe ND leads. 

I think ND is also in it for Chase Bisontis from Don Bosco in Jersey. He's a Top 100 recruit. 

Alex Birchmeier committing to Penn State was a blow.

ND hasn't extended a ton of offers to OL for 2023. As others have indicated, probably waiting to see how their junior years play out and then probably also wanting to work out these guys in person, as ND typically likes to do for OL.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

I wouldn't, the guy is clearly not a team player and I think he is overrated. I would prefer they stick with Buchner/Pyne.

Where was he not a team player?  The fact that he hasn’t left after the benching would suggest otherwise. 
I think he is overrated too. But he’s better than what Nd has on its roster right now. He also seems like a guy who would wing it more and not take BK’s tutelage the first year. Which is what we want. It’s the second year that the whole declines, right?

26 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

Rattler has an attitude issue. Poor teammate dating back to high school. 

Yeah I just heard that on the podcast. I didn’t know about any of the past or that he seemed disengaged after the benching. Scratch him.