Cotton Bowl Classic

Florida has 9 starters opting out.

I get it... but I hate opt-outs. It’s like the opposite of what amateur sports stands for.

To be clear - I’d do the same, but it’s going to eventually ruin bowl games.

Or force them to go to 8+ playoff format

I get it... but I hate opt-outs. It’s like the opposite of what amateur sports stands for.

This game is definitely a study in what happens in the opt out era. Is Oklahoma really that much better? Obviously with what happened to Jaylon I can understand why a draftee would sit but it does make a mockery of bowl season. Not sure what the answer is but it is a bummer.

This is the "amateur sports" where coaches can make $10 million and ADs can make $2 million per year but players are expected to risk injury which might have a seven or eight figure impact to them (e.g. Jaylon Smith) for a meaningless game?

In exchange for playing in this meaningless game, they get a swag bag with $500+ worth of merchandise...

If I were in the position of already being considered a first or second day draft pick, I would also probably skip a non-CFP bowl game.

They got a free education in return for making money for the school. That’s how any job works. The schools need to enforce the contract. Play ball or pay back tuition. That’s the way of the world, generally, not just college football. They signed up for this. Otherwise, they could be like everyone else and take out a loan.

They got a free education in return for making money for the school. That’s how any job works. The schools need to enforce the contract. Play ball or pay back tuition. That’s the way of the world, generally, not just college football. They signed up for this. Otherwise, they could be like everyone else and take out a loan.

I'm confused. Is NCAA football an amateur sport or a job?

I responded to 97domerwho said that players skipping a bowl game is "opposite of what amateur sports stands for"

Now, you seem to be saying that the players have a "job" and have an obligation to play in bowl games otherwise schools "need to enforce the contract". Does this take into consideration the NCAA policy to allow players to not play this year due to Covid fears?

Also, if a player decides to skip a bowl game played after their fall semester is over and drop out of school prior to the Spring semester starting, should they need to pay back tuition? If they graduated at the end of the Fall semester, does that change anything? Exactly how long is a player's obligation to their school? Does it continue past their enrollment at that school?

I dont mind them skipping bowl games, shows me who the selfish players are (I would say that about any player; Jaylon Smith and Manti Teo wouldnt do that crap). Better than paying them ON top of the FREE tuition they get. I know a lot of people who would have loved to get free college...