ND Basketball - ACC Play

You can trash Brey all you want. I've done my fair share of it in the past, but have you met Jack Swarbrick. A long time ago I came to grips with the fact that Brey is going nowhere until he wants to. It's that simple.

I’m just frustrated with NDs play the last couple of years. You are right, I have met Jack and Mike and I know Mike is not going. Maybe Mike could be convinced to take some administration job...He can be the assistant AD or something.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I have publicly said It time to change the top dog. I would never chant that he should be fired at a game with him and his players listening. BTW I watched the game and did not see very many people in the stands.....I thought the basketball arena was still empty.

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/14390/blown-out-booed-off-notre-dame-falls-brey-booed

A typical game last night for us, losing the entire game by double digits due to the absence of D and generally poor shot selection. Came back to win at the end on a buzzer beater - went on like a 17-2 run maybe. Great individual D played by Ryan and then a great dish to Wertz to hit the game winner from deep.

It was nice to see some life out of the team.

The best part was one of the bench players face planting running out on the court to celebrate the win.

Big beat down last night to UNC in the ACC tournament that really shows how far we've fallen since those 2 glory years of Elite 8 appearances. We haven't recruited well at all, our grad transfers, which seem to be something we are relying on more heavily due to lack of recruiting success, have been hit or miss (mostly misses with mediocre players). I only watched part of the Kentucky game this year because it's been the same themes all along, but am guessing the younger players haven't gotten significant time either? When and how are we developing them?

I'm not calling for Brey to get let go, but hoping he comes to the realization that he doesn't seem equipped or motivated to effectively compete in today's environment. Maybe we can get a consultant / ambassador role for him and get more of a dog on the bench who can regularly put better teams on the floor.

I actually think the transfers we have gotten in are good - they're just the same as the players we currently have on the roster. We have 4 good guards, a really good wing (Laz) and no big. Durham is just weak. It was like watching me playing against Shaq last night.

So - really we have no big depth. Laz is a guard. Durham is weak. Zona is not ready for prime time - might be later.

These are all recruiting deficiencies that are blamed on the coaching staff. I don't know how you don't recruit good bigs that last few years.

Djogo was a wild card - sometimes he looked like he played in the NBA and sometimes you didn't even know he could play basketball.

Even with the freshmen coming in next year and the big transfer from Yale, I don't see us being any different next year without a change at the top. I like Brey and feel badly, but sometimes you just have to know when it is time.

Awful loss to NC last night by 42! Notre Dame hasn't lost a game as badly as it did Wednesday since being beaten by UCLA by 58 points on Dec. 22, 1971. That's before all those wins against No. 1 teams. That's before Dwight Clay. That's before league play and the 3-point line. That was seven games into the Digger Phelps coaching era. That was 50 years ago. Wednesday's second half felt like it took 50 years.

Brey is toast now!

I’ll admit I didn’t watch the game. But, being on the wrong end of a 37-2 run (https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/Tar-Heels-Bludgeon-then-Embarrass-Defenseless-Irish-in-101-59-Victory-162141767/) says a lot about a team. Coaches and players alike.

Coaches gotta coach, players gotta play.

If you could stomach watching the second half (and I give you major props if you continued watching after the first half) what did you see?

The men’s and women’s program both seem headed in the wrong directions.

Edited by Kelly Gruene

Sorry didn’t watch it either.....intentionally I knew it would just upset me if I did. I love what Tim O’Malley wrote in his article though....how embarrassing

“Carolina’s margin snowballed to the comical, 70-47, with a full 12 minutes remaining. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. And clearly—to the underdog combatants least—no reason to fight. The victors kept fighting. The Irish simply took it.

An 80-49 head-shaking scoreboard presented four minutes later and Notre Dame’s egregious 2020-21 defensive effort had found a new low.

Or so it appeared.

The final score, 101-59, was part of an implausible 37-2 run that punctuated the Tar Heels ludicrous domination of Brey’s passive, overmatched, and all-too-ready-to-quit Irish.

In short, Notre Dame never cared to counter Carolina’s party-at-the-rim. Or maybe they couldn’t. Probably both.”

FWIW I think you need to cut Ivey some slack. Muffet really left the cupboard empty after that 2018 team left. I am hopeful Ivey can get the women’s team back to their dominance days.

Edited by ND_JACK

Sorry didn’t watch it either.....intentionally I knew it would just upset me if I did. I love what Tim O’Malley wrote in his article though....how embarrassing

“Carolina’s margin snowballed to the comical, 70-47, with a full 12 minutes remaining. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. And clearly—to the underdog combatants least—no reason to fight. The victors kept fighting. The Irish simply took it.

An 80-49 head-shaking scoreboard presented four minutes later and Notre Dame’s egregious 2020-21 defensive effort had found a new low.

Or so it appeared.

The final score, 101-59, was part of an implausible 37-2 run that punctuated the Tar Heels ludicrous domination of Brey’s passive, overmatched, and all-too-ready-to-quit Irish.

In short, Notre Dame never cared to counter Carolina’s party-at-the-rim. Or maybe they couldn’t. Probably both.”

FWIW I think you need to cut Ivey some slack. Muffet really left the cupboard empty after that 2018 team left. I am hopeful Ivey can get the women’s team back to their dominance days.

Agree. I’ll give her three more years. I think that by the end of a coach’s 4th year the trajectory is set. This year to my untrained eye has been disappointing, but she certainly deserves a chance. ND has a pedigree in women’s basketball; hopefully Ivey can get ND back to where it competes for championships routinely.

At this stage I’m sure Brey can’t.