Big Ten Season Officially Postponed *Now to Start Oct. 23*

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been telling people this whole time, there isn’t a prize for being the first to make a decision even if it’s the correct decision. Both the knee jerk “WE HAVE TO CANCEL” and the “WE ARE PLAYING NO MATTER WHAT” people are morons. If I were the big10 I would have scheduled my first game for a month or so after the ACCs kickoffs. If it fails, then you cancel. If it’s works, you play. But now they’re so far behind the 8 ball because they wanted to be first to cancel for some reason.

I always thought ND being affiliated with ACC was dumb (just based on geography) but I’m sure glad to have that affiliation now.

We align with them much more academically and in terms of our olympic sports than we do the Big Ten. I find the Big Ten boring and I think they're a-holes. Further, they kept us out for decades because we were Catholic. So F them...I want nothing to do with them. And, I'm glad they're falling on their face with Covid. There was zero reason to cancel.

We align with them much more academically and in terms of our olympic sports than we do the Big Ten. I find the Big Ten boring and I think they're a-holes. Further, they kept us out for decades because we were Catholic. So F them...I want nothing to do with them. And, I'm glad they're falling on their face with Covid. There was zero reason to cancel.

I was just speaking in terms of geography. I squirm seeing Rutgers & MD in the B10, WV in the B12 and Mizzou in the SEC.

• 3 weeks later...
CFP selections are scheduled to be made 12/20 so Big Ten could play 9 weeks. Perhaps 8 regular season games plus championship game?

I can see it now. TOSU schedule...

Rutgers

Illinois

Maryland

Purdue

Northwestern

Michigan St

Indiana

Michigan

B10 championship

Maybe they throw in the Citadel or something.

CFP selections are scheduled to be made 12/20 so Big Ten could play 9 weeks. Perhaps 8 regular season games plus championship game?

It will be so interesting to see how it is determined which teams will be eligible for a playoff appearance.

It doesn't seem fair to have teams qualify that play, say, 6 games, compared to teams that play 10.

Obviously we have no idea what will happen between now and the end of November. Given the history and location of lockdowns, it seems to me that the Big Ten is still more likely to shut down again if there's a moderate or substantial increase in COVID cases.

It will be so interesting to see how it is determined which teams will be eligible for a playoff appearance.

It doesn't seem fair to have teams qualify that play, say, 6 games, compared to teams that play 10.

Obviously we have no idea what will happen between now and the end of November. Given the history and location of lockdowns, it seems to me that the Big Ten is still more likely to shut down again if there's a moderate or substantial increase in COVID cases.

They literally have no room for error. Scenarios like one team getting COVID, a early December blizzard leading to a marquee game cancellation or a poorly performing team like Rutgers or Maryland deciding to forfeit the rest of the season to avoid spreading COVID will put an end to their entire conference's chances of getting into the playoff. With an 8 game season, they need to play every single game in order to at least pretend that they legitimately belong.

Also they'll have one "Bye Week" of a whole 11 days off before a CFP Semifinal game on Jan. 1.

Edited by Blammm

Fair point. It should then be left how they do it in all pro sports for stats. Not enough at bats, disqualified, not enough dames disqualified.

Fair point. It should then be left how they do it in all pro sports for stats. Not enough at bats, disqualified, not enough dames disqualified.

Also....these teams wanted to always exclude ND out of the playoffs for playing one less game. Now they’ll feel the squeeze we do every year.

Sorry. One last thing. How funny is it that ND and Swarbrick have a say in it of the b10 would have a seat at the table for the playoffs if the b10 has a shorteded season. I’d laugh if Searbrick stuck it to the b10. That would be icing on the cake. But I doubt he would do that

Meanwhile, the Pac12 players finally spoke out but it’s far too late now. Not to mention, wildfires and air pollution are more value reasons to not play football than COVID

Nah.

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, and Washington State can play each other twice each. 8 game schedule away from the wildfires and air pollution.

Utah furloughed their entire athletic staff a few weeks ago.

Nah.

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, and Washington State can play each other twice each. 8 game schedule away from the wildfires and air pollution.

Utah furloughed their entire athletic staff a few weeks ago.

Does the furlough mean that Utah has no one actively recruiting during that time?