Big Ten Season Officially Postponed *Now to Start Oct. 23*

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Breaking: The Big Ten has postponed its fall football season and will attempt to play in the spring, according <a href="

">@Mark_Schlabach</a> and multiple reports. <a href="https://t.co/c7aTDTdjtY">pic.twitter.com/c7aTDTdjtY</a></p>— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="
">August 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Pac-12 has postponed its fall football season, source tells <a href="

">@TheAthletic</a>.</p>— Nicole Auerbach ? (@NicoleAuerbach) <a href="
">August 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Pac-12 is canceling its 2020 fall football season, source tells <a href="

">@SINow</a>. Like the Big Ten, it plans to play in the spring. <a href="
">@Brett_McMurphy</a> first.<br><br>All eyes now on the next domino, which could bring them all down: the Big 12.</p>— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: The PAC-12 presidents have voted to postpone the 2020 college football season, per sources. I'm told the medical experts didn't sound very encouraging on prospects of being able to play in spring either.. <a href="

">@brett_mcmurphy</a> first reported the news.</p>— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) <a href="

so the acc, big12 and sec will play in the fall and the big10 and pac12 will play in the spring. if that happens then I wonder how beat up the big10 and pac12 teams will be from playing in the spring then having to turn around and play another full season in the fall.

so the acc, big12 and sec will play in the fall and the big10 and pac12 will play in the spring. if that happens then I wonder how beat up the big10 and pac12 teams will be from playing in the spring then having to turn around and play another full season in the fall.

They’re not playing in the spring, especially if the other 3 Conferences play in the fall. There’s nothing to play for at that point and all of your best draft eligible players are going to be getting ready for the combine

They’re not playing in the spring, especially if the other 3 Conferences play in the fall. There’s nothing to play for at that point and all of your best draft eligible players are going to be getting ready for the combine

Agree with this. If the Big 12 doesn't cancel, I think there will be a season in the fall. I don't think there will be a season in the spring, regardless - too many logistical obstacles to overcome. Impossible to claim you are making decisions with the players' safety at the forefront and then asking them to play 2 seasons in 8 months.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The ACC and SEC came out with "stay-the-course" statements within 10 minutes of each other. <br><br>The Big 12 is now on the clock.</p>— Conor O'Neill (@ConorONeillWSJ) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The ACC and SEC came out with "stay-the-course" statements within 10 minutes of each other. <br><br>The Big 12 is now on the clock.</p>— Conor O'Neill (@ConorONeillWSJ) <a href="

One has to imagine the Big 12 is more aligned in “culture” to the SEC and ACC. I would be shocked if they cancelled but they have been usually quiet through the whole process.

I want to know how quickly the PAC-12, Big 10, MAC, and MWC flip flop if the other six conferences decide to play. If schools like Nebraska go it alone or join the SEC or Big 12 for year then watch out for realignment chaos.

One has to imagine the Big 12 is more aligned in “culture” to the SEC and ACC. I would be shocked if they cancelled but they have been usually quiet through the whole process.

I want to know how quickly the PAC-12, Big 10, MAC, and MWC flip flop if the other six conferences decide to play. If schools like Nebraska go it alone or join the SEC or Big 12 for year then watch out for realignment chaos.

That is my thought as well - I think they are closer to SEC mindset than any other conference.

The Nebraska President/AD/Scott Frost released a statement saying that Nebraska is exploring potential options to still play. I don't know how that would sit with the Big 10 - probably not well at all - but maybe that leads to them re-joining the Big 12 (they never really seemed to fit in with the Big 10). OSU's AD released a statement basically saying that he disagrees with the Big 10's decision but will respect it (i.e., won't look to play in another conference this year).

That is my thought as well - I think they are closer to SEC mindset than any other conference.

The Nebraska President/AD/Scott Frost released a statement saying that Nebraska is exploring potential options to still play. I don't know how that would sit with the Big 10 - probably not well at all - but maybe that leads to them re-joining the Big 12 (they never really seemed to fit in with the Big 10). OSU's AD released a statement basically saying that he disagrees with the Big 10's decision but will respect it (i.e., won't look to play in another conference this year).

Agree about Nebraska and Big 10 fit.

I know some hate playing the academies on this board but they are looking to play at least each other this fall in all sport irrespective of the conferences decisions to cancel sports.

https://mwwire.com/2020/08/10/air-force-to-try-to-play-army-navy-in-football-other-sports/

I imagine we might see a mix of schools go it alone or join the conferences that want to play.

Academies follow orders. Cannot ensure 100+ typical kids per school plus all the staff follow the rules all the time. In another sport just this week someone hired some numb nut who decided to wear a shield and not a mask. The staff tested positive and everything is shut down. The kids all need to be tested.

Based on reports previously provided would need to test daily to keep things under control and in states such as Texas, Florida, and Georgia with positivity rates so high it is a losing battle.

In business, it is better to plan for success instead of beating a dead horse. Plan for later winter and manage what can be controlled. Stupid to play this fall. No Olympics but a bunch on numb nuts wanna try football in a raging epidemic.

Edited by Domer Dude

Academies follow orders. Cannot ensure 100+ typical kids per school plus all the staff follow the rules all the time. In another sport just this week someone hired some numb nut who decided to wear a shield and not a mask. The staff tested positive and everything is shut down. The kids all need to be tested.

Based on reports previously provided would need to test daily to keep things under control and in states such as Texas, Florida, and Georgia with positivity rates so high it is a losing battle.

In business, it is better to plan for success instead of beating a dead horse. Plan for later winter and manage what can be controlled. Stupid to play this fall. No Olympics but a bunch on numb nuts wanna try football in a raging epidemic.

The athletes have better access to medical care on campus than away. Also, if the SEC, ACC, and B12 pull off a season, it will be a monstrous success for all teams involved. The B10 & Pac 12 will take yrs to close the talent gap this could cause with recruiting.

Big 12 plans to continue towards a season, per multiple sources.

CFB in the fall is still alive...0

I always thought ND being affiliated with ACC was dumb (just based on geography) but I’m sure glad to have that affiliation now.