Ginsberg

She’s really trying, but I don’t see any way she makes it to January.

An 87 year-old woman with pancreatic cancer that is now inoperable and causing obstruction of her common bile duct, with cancer metastasis to her liver and lungs, receiving chemotherapy.

I feel really, honestly, terrible for her. I am friends with a couple medical oncologists. They pretty much never give chemotherapy to a frail woman in her late 80’s who has such advanced cancer. It’s just way too hard on them for hardly any benefit. She is going to experience a terrible, painful end. All in the name of hoping to get Biden to select her successor.

I think she has at most 6-8 weeks left. Her life will likely end with a feeding tube and on a ventilator, all buying time for a Biden victory. She should be in hospice, cared for in dignity and in peace in her home. Pain meds and comfort. She shouldn’t be forced to go the way I think she feels compelled to go now.

If she dies before November, Trump will appoint either James Ho or Amy Barrett to the Court. If she dies after Biden wins but before he is sworn in, we could have an actual civil war between democrats and republicans because I believe Trump and McConnell will try to push one of those two through. Barrett, having taught at ND Law, may be too controversial though. Remember when Dianne Feinstein, during Barrett’s Circuit Court Senate confirmation hearings said “the dogma lives loudly within you” when referring to Barrett’s Catholic beliefs?

Edited by Kelly Gruene

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is sad. She’s a tough lady, but this is a brutal disease. And while I lean right, I firmly believe a SC that’s heavily Right or Left is bad for the country.

FINALLY! We agree on something. I don’t want all liberal judges and I don’t all conservative judges. Either way, she’s trying to hold on in an attempt in hopes Biden is elected.

If she falls out of consciousness, they’ll remove her for incapacity. Curious how this is going to play out.

It’s curious to me.

She is clearly an extremely smart person.

I just question how she is functioning during this Supreme Court year.

Supreme Court justices each have 4 ‘clerks’. Those are extraordinarily competitive positions, almost always awarded by the individual justices to people who went to Yale or Harvard law school (other law schools are represented, but the vast vast majority go to people from those two schools).

While my son was in college a Yale Law School professor asked him to take a class with his students. Two of those students are now clerking at the Supreme Court. Both of them are black women, both beyond the left end of the extremes of liberalism. He knows them personally, rode in cars with them while going to prisons in Connecticut.

If you’ve ever known someone who went through chemotherapy, you know how hard it is on them. Many develop what they refer to as ‘chemo-brain’. They become forgetful and don’t think clearly. People in their late 80’s (RBG is 87) almost never receive chemotherapy because it’s just too hard on them. I suspect that Ginsberg’s clerks are formulating all of her thoughts and opinions and doing all of her writing of opinions at this point. And as liberal as she has been, 3 of her 4 clerks are radically more liberal than she has been.

It is from the pool of people that have clerked for a Supreme Court justice that federal judges are selected. It is from the pool of federal judges the almost all Supreme Court judges are selected. Don’t kid yourself. Clerks matter.

Edited by Kelly Gruene

There should be an age limit on all elected officials and SCOTUS justices. Think 75 would work just as it does all Catholic bishops currently.

She is a very strong willed woman and this is obviously her final choice on how to proceed. Unfortunately, as has been stated, it is going to be very difficult for her to keep up with the work before the justices. God bless her.

Amy Barrett would be an excellent choice for the next justice. She has long ties to Notre Dame and has all the qualities one would want in a justice. Actually, she should have been chosen to be nominated rather than Kavanaugh, but the Democrats would still have made a circus out of the proceedings to try an tarnish her impeccable reputation cause that is what they do.

FINALLY! We agree on something. I don’t want all liberal judges and I don’t all conservative judges. Either way, she’s trying to hold on in an attempt in hopes Biden is elected.

I’ve been pretty up front about being more Moderate/right leaning. I’m not full on GOP. However, I’ve seen what’s taking place on the Left and I don’t trust that the Dems can control the radicalized element growing in influence. There’s a portion of the Left, that outright hates this country. I don’t believe most Dens feel this way, but I fear they’re losing their party to the nuts.

These people hate America, but have no issue using the Freedoms this country grants to advocate for its destruction. They want a Far Left Militaristic country with gulags. They’ve said as much

Edited by ELDER06

Shes gonna die very soon. McConnell and Trump will ignore their 2016 precedent and try to push someone through before January. Because in the end its politics.

And they are disgusting pricks. Swarming like vultures. This is really bottom of the barrel stuff.

I’ve been pretty up front about being more Moderate/right leaning. I’m not full on GOP. However, I’ve seen what’s taking place on the Left and I don’t trust that the Dems can control the radicalized element growing in influence. There’s a portion of the Left, that outright hates this country. I don’t believe most Dens feel this way, but I fear they’re losing their party to the nuts.

These people hate America, but have no issue using the Freedoms this country grants to advocate for its destruction. They want a Far Left Militaristic country with gulags. They’ve said as much

Damn straight! Biden sold out to AOC and her ilk and we will all pay for it if he is elected.

Damn straight! Biden sold out to AOC and her ilk and we will all pay for it if he is elected.

...unless Trump gets to appoint a truly conservative Justice before he’s voted out. (Kavanaugh isn’t actually that conservative).

Edited by Kelly Gruene

• 2 weeks later...

In the hospital again today. Apparently replacing a bile duct stent. I really don’t think she will make it to January.

If she doesn’t, we will witness Portland across America because I’m sure the Republicans already have vetted two or three replacement candidates.

• 1 month later...

Interesting tidbit.

27 years as a Supreme Court Justice.

4 clerks per year.

4x27=108 clerks.

How many black people did RBG, this most liberal of justices, select to clerk for her?

And zero black clerks during her 13 years on the DC Circuit court of appeals

Hard to understand that.

Edited by Kelly Gruene

I’m sorry to post so much on this topic.

But this will have more impact on the US for the next 20 years than who wins the election in November.

In a contested Presidential election, the Supreme Court will likely decide the winner. If John Roberts, as he has shown a willingness to do, were to side with the left-leaning justices, there would be a 4-4 split if a new justice is not confirmed before then.

In a 4-4 split, the decision would likely fall on a lower appellate court.

With certainty McConnell and others will be making this point to support their ramming a person through the confirmation process.

Notre Dame’s Amy Barrett may be the person they try to push through. She almost became a nun, so hard to imagine there are a lot of character issues in her background. 1/4 of the country is Catholic, and Latinos are almost all Catholic, so they’d have to tread lightly on that topic during a confirmation process in an election year. 9 young children; I don’t think they’re old enough to have much of a social media presence.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f656bd9c5b6de79b6750576

That’s a very interesting reference.

While some people may argue that the National Review is a partisan right-wing source, the writing tends to be done on a scholarly rather than emotional level, well-researched and well-presented.

I suspect the Times and the Post will be publishing their own well-researched and well-presented views as well.

Methinks more protestations this way cometh.