Notre Dame removes Columbus

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would venture to guess that Columbus as the subject matter is what's offensive. Personally I don't care one way or another about Columbus, and I've thought the holiday was dumb since I was a kid. Then I started learning more about history and became fascinated by the possibility of lots of other easterners from Europe, Asia, or Africa coming to North America, pre-dating Columbus by hundreds of years in some theories possibly millennia in others.

So in a way the Columbus thing is kind of the reverse of the Confederate Statue debate around the country. That is people have made the case that monuments or statues aren't erected for the defeated or "losers". Technically Columbus was on the "winning" team. Not trying to justify things, just following the logical conclusion to a point that has been made, to the victors go the spoils.

My stance is always be careful when dealing with history. You have to know the good and bad, and remember it to apply going forward.

If celebrating Columbus is "bad", does that also mean that we need to stop celebrating Thanksgiving since it basically represents the successful colonization of North America by European "invaders"?

If celebrating Columbus is "bad", does that also mean that we need to stop celebrating Thanksgiving since it basically represents the successful colonization of North America by European "invaders"?

I chose to celebrate what I want and how I want. The only thing that affects me is what days my employer deems a holiday and if I get extra pay for working it. Also if many co-workers decide they want to observe a holiday, then it becomes a sought after day off and only a few can take it off while the others have to maintain minimum manpower.

No one celebrates my birthday or those who's I observe, my families. I don't really care about MLK day, any presidents or celebrities days, etc. Maybe I'm a hard *** but i dont care about their feelings anymore than they care about mine. But I'll debate the facts all day long.

BTW I for sure celebrate Thanksgiving and the pilgrims landing at Plymouth. My ancestor, John Howland, barely made it here on the Mayflower voyage. So I'm alive and thankful for his will to live after being tossed off the ship then deal with those early hardships here.

Edited by jessemoore97

I'd be ok with not celebrating Thanksgiving because it's just another time I have to drive hours to see the inlaws all in a month's time. While I don't mind them, I hate that drive.

At the end of the day, if you're Catholic Christian, you ought to understand evangelization has been one thing the Church has done well through the ages. The Church's history isn't always pretty, right now isn't exactly a highpoint, but there has been a lot of good and humanity spread throughout the world.

Couldn't care less about Columbus day..What they should do is move the nationally recognized holiday to Election day so that more people would have the opportunity to get to the polls...

You couldn’t care less about the celebration day of the guy who found the country you live in?

Another spectacular take from jschell.

You couldn’t care less about the celebration day of the guy who found the country you live in?

I wanted to leave this place in respectful manner, but I just cannot. I’d rather be banned and speak the real truth. I am sorry are you ignorant on the research on Columbus or do you really support him? Before I take you to the woodshed give me an answer. I am sure you are just ignorant and do not support genocide. Please use google etc before you respond.

People in our time are such pu$$ies. Whatever happened to sticks and stones. Grow a pair. History is history and history is brutal. It just is. Deal with it, but some events established the modern world we live in today, regardless how brutal the event was. Without it, we wouldn’t be here. I hate people.

And they hate you. You support Hitler? Just bring it out. Let it come out you love hitler. Columbus was an the idiot version, you love him and you love hitler. Just let it all out you pos.

Look I am just going to end this thread. Columbus was a swindler that got some coin to get a fleet from the queen to get a crew and boats to go to the America’s, he ended up in the Caribbean, killed thousands of people for some fake gold and came back in shame. Instead of writing that story, a storyteller for the time wrote a story of glory discovering new land. This was a fiction work of art. Then the Italians came to this country and were treated like ****, they told this story of Columbus to the ignorantenglush people which accepted it as truth and thus accepted the Italians as one of them, which was the goal of the Italians to assimilate. The italins were smart and not wrong, but the fact he is celebrated is crazy. Not only did Columbus pillage, murder and steal. He also sold sex slaves as young as 9 years old. And y’all want to support him and a painting of him? **** you!

Columbus wrote the **** himself https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/columbus-sex-slaves/

Y’all support sex slavery for 9 year olds? Didn’t think so...

Edited by Jim2Dokes

What have you done to the thread I started?

Turned it into a debate on sex slaves?

This was a conversation about the covering of a painting, and you guys CAN’T STOP attacking each other personally.

For once, just ONCE, can’t you respect the opinions of someone else without becoming a monster if you disagree?

What have you done to the thread I started?

Turned it into a debate on sex slaves?

This was a conversation about the covering of a painting, and you guys CAN’T STOP attacking each other personally.

For once, just ONCE, can’t you respect the opinions of someone else without becoming a monster if you disagree?

No, there is a reason that ND is removing the painting, your thread was a link and pretty much left it open for people to have disagreements. And nope I can not respect an opinion of someone who wants to keep the painting because “he found America” or some other asinine reason. I would rather educate. Columbus was a Monster and if people want a picture celebrating him AND know what he did, they are also monsters. I don’t think they know, so I educated them in Columbus selling little girls, what is wrong with that?

Edited by Jim2Dokes

I'm sure you have changed his position with your "educating." I'm pretty sure that despite your justifications, the person you accused does not, in fact, advocate genocide.

Well done. Now if there's anyone else who has an opinion that you have more information on, you can feel justified in belittling a person who has less information.

Maybe you can best a child, if nobody else is available.

Can we just look at this from the fact that the University wants to cover up beautiful murals that have been there for 135 years? They're historic because of the beauty of them and the role Columbus has been revered in the Catholic Church as an evangelist. I'd be ok if they could figure out a way to remove them from the walls without damaging them. Since they have stated it can't be done, these tapestries/covers need to look damn good.

Hahaha... Joe, it’s better that you keep your mouth shut and let people think you’re an idiot instead of speaking and removing all doubt...

Why would it matter, first European? I agree with you, but why would it matter?

As I alluded to in an earlier post, there is evidence suggesting that the Western Hemisphere has been visited by a number of people from Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Pacific Islands centuries before Columbus.

Going even further back, arguments have been made that there were migrations beside the Bering land bridge crossing when the sea levels were much lower during the last ice age. It's quite fascinating stuff in that we don't give our ancient ancestors enough credit to keep exploring what's over that next horizon.

I'm sure you have changed his position with your "educating." I'm pretty sure that despite your justifications, the person you accused does not, in fact, advocate genocide.

Well done. Now if there's anyone else who has an opinion that you have more information on, you can feel justified in belittling a person who has less information.

Maybe you can best a child, if nobody else is available.

I best 50 year olds who claim they graduated from ND law, I don’t target children although they may be the same. Anyways, I was making general statement, if anyone supports Columbus and general positive reflections of himAND knowing what he did should be shunned. That was what I said. If you referring to Brasco over there, I was not specifically targeting him, although maybe he deserved it going after someone else without facts. Do you have something to say on your topic on how you feel about the paintings being covered/ taken down or do you just want to post general links and come after me for no reason? You mad that I exposed Columbus? I mean what was the point of your thread if you did not feel like it was crontroversal for them to remove it. You won’t admit it, but I educated you as well.

Edited by Jim2Dokes

Can we just look at this from the fact that the University wants to cover up beautiful murals that have been there for 135 years? They're historic because of the beauty of them and the role Columbus has been revered in the Catholic Church as an evangelist. I'd be ok if they could figure out a way to remove them from the walls without damaging them. Since they have stated it can't be done, these tapestries/covers need to look damn good.

I’m sure Germany covered some nice murals of hitler. Get over it. If Columbus wrote some books and the books were being banned that would be a 1st amendment issues. This is a private business making a business decision that they don’t want to glorify a 9 year old year sex slaver and genocider on their walls. They are not that beautiful and he is not revered and defiantly should not be. Do you revere him? Maybe you revere the child molesting priests too. I am catholic but have to seriously consider every time I step in the church, would I go to Jimmy Johns if 1000+ of their employees molested children? So I now avoid that place unless holidays. Still love Jesus though.

Edited by Jim2Dokes