Is Brey a Poor Recruiter?

The biggest thing with this team is what you said at the end, they can't shoot!

I think it is just that simple. For whatever reason this team can't shoot and score! If they could they would be going to the tournament this year.

I think it's more than that. Yesterday, Durham came in and immediately scored. The next trip down Goodwin was on the wing and Durham was calling for the ball. Goodwin didn't even look at him and they proceeded to (the usual )pass around the perimeter and launch a three. Durham is statistically their best shooter, but rarely gets the ball. Durham will go to set a pick at the foul line and neither Hubb or Gibbs will use the pick and work a basic pick and roll. Laz is a 6"11" guard. Harvey is a an undersized power player who can't shoot. This is an awful team that is not doing anything that looks like a capable, or even half structured offense.

BTW: Here's a sample of their 3-point shooting:

Radford: 9-29 (.310)

Oklahoma:7-25 (.280)

UCLA: 8-25 (.320)

NC State: 7-28 (.250)

Georgia Tech: 7-30 (.233)

Virginia: 8-30 (.267)

Wake Forest: (.308)

Virginia Tech: (.231)

I can't tell you how many of these shots are the result of lots of perimeter passes and then a launched 3 point shot, but it's way too many. Yesterday, Hubb shot two where he didn't even hit the rim. It would be laughable if I hadn't spent a lot of money to watch this mediocrity.

Edited by Frankus

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's more than that. Yesterday, Durham came in and immediately scored. The next trip down Goodwin was on the wing and Durham was calling for the ball. Goodwin didn't even look at him and they proceeded to (the usual )pass around the perimeter and launch a three. Durham is statistically their best shooter, but rarely gets the ball. Durham will go to set a pick at the foul line and neither Hubb or Gibbs will use the pick and work a basic pick and roll. Laz is a 6"11" guard. Harvey is a an undersized power player who can't shoot. This is an awful team that is not doing anything that looks like a capable, or even half structured offense.

BTW: Here's a sample of their 3-point shooting:

Radford: 9-29 (.310)

Oklahoma:7-25 (.280)

UCLA: 8-25 (.320)

NC State: 7-28 (.250)

Georgia Tech: 7-30 (.233)

Virginia: 8-30 (.267)

Wake Forest: (.308)

Virginia Tech: (.231)

I can't tell you how many of these shots are the result of lots of perimeter passes and then a launched 3 point shot, but it's way too many. Yesterday, Hubb shot two where he didn't even hit the rim. It would be laughable if I hadn't spent a lot of money to watch this mediocrity.

Right, shooting! Those stats you have say it all. And yes, you are right. Their shot selection this year hasn't been the greatest, but even with that, they hit a few more threes in each game, and they are a tournament team this year. Brey's offense is predicated on the 3. It works best when his teams are driving and kicking, swinging the ball around quickly, throwing the skip pass, or playing high low and big man kicks it out. This type of play and movement of the ball has been very inconsistent, but even when they do it correctly and get an open look, who do you have confidence will hit it? No one! That's the problem. The stats I found are pretty telling as well.

year (3 pt. % rank) record

18-19. (305). 13-14

17-18 . (135). 21-15

16-17 . (46) . 26-10

15-16 . (36) . 24-12

14-15 . (20) . 32-6

13-14 . (103) . 15-17

12-13 . (51) . 25-10

Edited by Domers23

• 9 months later...

Standing by this statement. This team is on the verge of missing the tourney for the thirds straight year... when did that last happen?

These last two years have been the most unathletic teams I’ve seen Brey trot out there.

I can't recall if there was a specific reason (schollie count, etc), but only getting 1 guy in the previous classes hurt.

Then - transfers.

I think he got a lot out of some underrated guys, but these higher rated guys have under performed.

So - maybe two years recently of bad recruiting - just not getting enough.

No stats or data - just top of my head. Sorry.

Standing by this statement. This team is on the verge of missing the tourney for the thirds straight year... when did that last happen?

These last two years have been the most unathletic teams I’ve seen Brey trot out there.

I know it sounds like a bunch of excuses, but I would give the Bonzie/Farrell 2017 season a pass. Most teams lose those guys to injury for a good amount of the season and they aren’t good either. With that said, they nearly made the tourney that year anyways. As for last year, probably the youngest team of Kelly’s tenure forcing him to play 3 freshman regularly. Not to mention the injuries to Rex and Carmody and Gibbs and Rex not developing liked expected. This year, is still a bit of a TBD.

Not everything is all fine and dandy and room for improvement is obviously there, but they have necessarily been dealt the best hand either. I have confidence Brey can turn this back around soon.

Ndomer I am going to have to agree with you. I attended three games so far this year myself and left all three times thinking the teams overall athleticism is down.

Ndomer I am going to have to agree with you. I attended three games so far this year myself and left all three times thinking the teams overall athleticism is down.

I'm a season ticket holder and attended yesterday's BC game. You could tell in the warmups that BC was more athletic. And ND compiles its problems with having horrible shot selection. This is an nonathletic team that also lacks discipline.

I'm a season ticket holder and attended yesterday's BC game. You could tell in the warmups that BC was more athletic. And ND compiles its problems with having horrible shot selection. This is an nonathletic team that also lacks discipline.

At least with the women’s team I can see MM is reloading with talent.

I thought it recruiting would pick up after the back to back elite 8’s. You think it’s attractive for recruits to get an ND degree and compete for titles.

Unfortunately recruiting has gotten worse since then. I don’t believe it is hard to sell ND to the second and third tier recruits. Brey is a great in game coach but he’s never been a great recruiter.