Bully's

I'd talk to anyone about anything, stranger or not. If I introduce my view and am called a name for having said view then the conversation turns toxic right away. I don't wait around for something to break in the news to have an informed opinion about something that could be discussed in a civil manner. Immigration is the new hottie tottie now, but it's been an ongoing issue as far back as I can remember. Drug war, abortion, human rights, the environment, and so forth.

I wouldn't have a problem discussing race with someone. The free exchange of ideas and concepts should be embraced and encouraged, not abruptly halted because something may be uncomfortable because some different than you is in the room. It's when one or both sides devolve it into a sh*t fight by name calling, because either they are ignorant and can't formulate cohesive points or thinks the other side is subhuman because their view is different and uncaring.

For abortion, I'm pro life. I view all human life as a blessing. Same for capital punishment, despite times of wanting to remove certain people from the world. Yet just saying human life is precious will unleash vitriol against me, without any expansion of my basic premise.

My point was hot button topics can be more productive when it's not in the news. When it's in the news and battle lines are drawn, then it's hopeless.

There is a thread called wimbush sucks. The title alone is meant to stor the pot but the thread has been civil. Wait till we lose a game and brandon plays poorly. You'll see that thread go downhill fast.

A lot of you beliefs seem to contradict themselves imo. You say all lives are precious in regards to abortion but in the past I've heard you say you believe in survival of the fittest which to me means those that can't cut it can and should perish.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point was hot button topics can be more productive when it's not in the news. When it's in the news and battle lines are drawn, then it's hopeless.

There is a thread called wimbush sucks. The title alone is meant to stor the pot but the thread has been civil. Wait till we lose a game and brandon plays poorly. You'll see that thread go downhill fast.

A lot of you beliefs seem to contradict themselves imo. You say all lives are precious in regards to abortion but in the past I've heard you say you believe in survival of the fittest which to me means those that can't cut it can and should perish.

Productive as in something changes or that people have the discussion? My lines are distinct regardless of the news cycle. Raw emotion shouldn't be the basis or rational behind a discussion to solve problems much less implement policy and law. More often the emotional argument will lay claim to the moral high ground, and the rationed opinion may be tossed aside. News or not, some arguments will instantly go from 0 to 100 on the emotion scale for people just because of the topic at hand.

I don't understand the contradiction you point out. Are you pointing out my opinion about welfare? Free market capitalism? Every conservative only cares about the fetus while it's in the womb, but doesn't give a hoot what happens after birth? Survival of the fittest can mean a lot of things depending on the topic at hand, not just biologically speaking. I suppose it would be appropriate for a different thread. I just mentioned the pro life off hand to illustrate a point about those two words, without context and background, can devolve into bullying. Same thing goes if someone only says they are pro choice around certain people. That's all.

Productive as in something changes or that people have the discussion? My lines are distinct regardless of the news cycle. Raw emotion shouldn't be the basis or rational behind a discussion to solve problems much less implement policy and law. More often the emotional argument will lay claim to the moral high ground, and the rationed opinion may be tossed aside. News or not, some arguments will instantly go from 0 to 100 on the emotion scale for people just because of the topic at hand.

I don't understand the contradiction you point out. Are you pointing out my opinion about welfare? Free market capitalism? Every conservative only cares about the fetus while it's in the womb, but doesn't give a hoot what happens after birth? Survival of the fittest can mean a lot of things depending on the topic at hand, not just biologically speaking. I suppose it would be appropriate for a different thread. I just mentioned the pro life off hand to illustrate a point about those two words, without context and background, can devolve into bullying. Same thing goes if someone only says they are pro choice around certain people. That's all.

OK.

I've been meaning to ask you this for time. I get the sense you are in pretty good shape. How can a fat boy like me realistically drop a few. I'm not going to the gym everyday or giving up beer. Any secrets or tips.

I'm all over the place in this thread .LOL.

OK.

I've been meaning to ask you this for time. I get the sense you are in pretty good shape. How can a fat boy like me realistically drop a few. I'm not going to the gym everyday or giving up beer. Any secrets or tips.

I'm all over the place in this thread .LOL.

Round's a shape, right?? Now we are on fitness lol. Man I tell you I've been all over the place since last year, about to go over PR's on my squats and deads in August to gimpy right hip and left shoulder. I started to get back in the gym, still gimpy but tired of not being there, this spring. With wife's surgery etc it's been excuse city for me. Yeah I need to drop a few get back to three bills or less, but like I was....beefy not fat. Starting to work my 13 y/o a bit, getting some muscle on his scrawny 6'02 frame. So now I have a partner but our lifting poundage is a bit far apart.....for the moment.

Anywho, as far as what to do, it really depends on your goals. Dropping a few is definitely different from person to person. I guess the main thing I can say is do something or start something. I'm way more into strongman and powerlifting than I am crossfit type stuff. Running hurts in my forties at three plus bills, so I walk everyday with my dog. It just really depends on what you are interested in. I like big strength as a big guy. I'm not a greyhound chasing bad guys anymore, I'm the grizzly they don't f*** with lol. Compound movements like squats, deadlifts, bench, and shoulder press are your friends and should be the four core movements of any strength regiment.

Real talk.

I have a young kid working for me, he just turned 21. We give him a hard time with the teasing, nothing harsh or threatening. I treat him well, buy his lunch and make sure he has what he needs.

After teasing him this week i threw my arm around him and said "you know we're just having fun with you". He said he knows that, and that he was bullied in high school so this is nothing new.

Is that being a bully? I have always thought of bullying being physical. He was never upset with our kidding around and again never went out of bounds.

I get into my fair share of spats on this board, does it ever cross into bullying? I don't do much social media and never understood cyber bullying. Outside of physical bullying, i don't know where the line is.

Bullying is out of control with Social Media. It would be bad enough getting your azz kicked, but now it can be uploaded for the whole world to see.

That said, this is busting balls, not bullying.

Bullying is out of control with Social Media. It would be bad enough getting your azz kicked, but now it can be uploaded for the whole world to see.

That said, this is busting balls, not bullying.

That is the sad difference from when I was a kid. Back then I had to deal with bullies and their friends at school, but when I got home it was all over until the next day.

Now kids can't get away from it, no refuge at home no sanctum. Thanks to the internet bullies have 24 hours to pick on other people. Bad stuff.

That is the sad difference from when I was a kid. Back then I had to deal with bullies and their friends at school, but when I got home it was all over until the next day.

Now kids can't get away from it, no refuge at home no sanctum. Thanks to the internet bullies have 24 hours to pick on other people. Bad stuff.

Well there is a way to get away from it. Get off social media, otherwise how do you know someone is bullying you online.

Well there is a way to get away from it. Get off social media, otherwise how do you know someone is bullying you online.

Abstaining from social media would be tantamount to never hanging out at the mall in the 1980's (I think? That seemed to be the place to be in the 80s according to John Hughes). So much of kids social interactions (for better or worse, doesn't really matter) occur online that asking them to step away from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or whatever would be asking those same kids who are bullied to isolate themselves from their social peers, re: cases of actual bullying, I agree that sh*t talk is sh*t talk and kids are also tougher than they usually get credit for.

Seems far easier to just raise your kids to not be sh*theads, but the kid that is a bully probably doesn't have the greatest parents or role models in the world.

Abstaining from social media would be tantamount to never hanging out at the mall in the 1980's (I think? That seemed to be the place to be in the 80s according to John Hughes). So much of kids social interactions (for better or worse, doesn't really matter) occur online that asking them to step away from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or whatever would be asking those same kids who are bullied to isolate themselves from their social peers, re: cases of actual bullying, I agree that sh*t talk is sh*t talk and kids are also tougher than they usually get credit for.

Seems far easier to just raise your kids to not be sh*theads, but the kid that is a bully probably doesn't have the greatest parents or role models in the world.

Well I guess us small town kids just weren't very cool lol. Maybe once a month mom might have a need to go to the mall for something. Once there I could be found in one of three places: arcade if I had money, Western World looking at boots and western wear, or the bookstore. Oh and Spencer's if the mall had one. Even when I went with friends that was my routine. I guess being a jock year round kind of ate up my time, friends too.

It's hard to raise your kids period. There are so many bad influences out there, and it seems to me the message of taking responsibility for your actions is shunned more and more. How many of them can actually have an intelligible conversation with another human being face to face, instead of texting shorthand?

"Look, it's a Schooner!" "Ah ha! Dumbass! It's a sailboat!" "A schooner IS a sailboat, STUPID!" "You know what!?!?!?!?! There IS NO EASTER BUNNY!!!"

• 2 weeks later...