Notre Dame at North Carolina

Well, he played like a back-up quarterback instead of the should-be starter that you proclaimed him to be.

I heard from someone else he wasn't that bad but his first start isn't gonna be perfect. I still think he's gonna be a good qb here, Good thing Brandon could rest hopefully he's 100% so he can run all over USC.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think Book was that bad today, but he simply doesn't have Brandon's big play ability. Wimbush's ability to run for huge gains is devastating to opposing defenses and opens up the entire offense. Also, receivers, as usual, had some drops today. I love ESB and Mack, but man both kids have had way too many drops this year. That cannot happen when we play USC soon. Book will be the long term back up for ND. I like the kid but think his size could be an issue. Watching him today truly showed ND Nation how spoiled we are having a qb that can run like Wimbush. This program has truly flourished when we have qbs of this style.

I didn't think Book was that bad today, but he simply doesn't have Brandon's big play ability. Wimbush's ability to run for huge gains is devastating to opposing defenses and opens up the entire offense. Also, receivers, as usual, had some drops today. I love ESB and Mack, but man both kids have had way too many drops this year. That cannot happen when we play USC soon. Book will be the long term back up for ND. I like the kid but think his size could be an issue. Watching him today truly showed ND Nation how spoiled we are having a qb that can run like Wimbush. This program has truly flourished when we have qbs of this style.

Yeah first year running qbs under Kelly in 2012, 2015 and 2017 have turned out very well for us. Book will be a good back up for us which is needed when you have a qb who runs this much.

It's concerning that Kelly has felt the need to throw this much today, it's like he gets a qb with even a semi decent ability and he has to throw it 40 times

HAHAHA I was saying this (to myself) last night. We had no problem running all over UNC last night and we decide to call playaction boot after playaction boot

We honestly could have had 45+ on UNC if it wasn't for the bad (at times) play calling

So you think Kelly is calling the plays?

I can't speak for jf but personally no I don't think Kelly is calling the plays but if you don't think he has any input in the run pass ratio I would strongly disagree. Kelly actually has only called plays twice in his eight seasons here.

Edited by goirish83

I didn't see all of the game but did see enough to take away the fact that ND never felt threatened by UNC and put together a glorified tryout at game speed with Book. He made some good throws and some bad ones but he managed things well enough to win going away.

Someone on the aftershow tweeted "The playcalling today, SMH." Both the announcers (Reggie Brooks and someone else) tried to figure out what he was talking about and couldn't, asking for more specific examples. Basically they politely said dude was full of crap.

Overall I thought it was a good game. They won by 23 on the road with a backup qb, it's unrealistic to expect much more.

As for Ian book he was about what I expected which was good not great. It was his first true start on the road so I didn't expect a ton and he adequately held his own well enough to win this game. I didn't understand the love for book coming into the game considering all we had seen to this point was the blue gold game and some mop up duty. I didnt think book shouldve been the starter before and that opinion hasn't changed but he is a capable backup qb who can step in and play competently enough especially with a strong d and run game to win a game or 2 if needed.

First things first - UNC is a horrible, horrible football team. I'm sure Kelly knew this and wasn't going to chance Wimbush when anybody with a heartbeat could have played QB and won that game.

Book would get demolished against any semi competent defense. I didn't see anything from him yesterday against one of the worst defenses in CFB with a dominant OL and running game to show he is an option even for mop up duty. He will play this year out and then go back to 3rd string when the new frosh arrive. He's done well to get a scholarship at ND but I hope he doesn't see another snap.

I can't speak for jf but personally no I don't think Kelly is calling the plays but if you don't think he has any input in the run pass ratio I would strongly disagree. Kelly actually has only called plays twice in his eight seasons here.

Obviously he has an input on the game plan he’s the head coach, but he’s not calling the plays.

Honestly, I asked the question facetiously. Jf and his buddy echo both have raging boners for anything BK. It is about the extent of their input.