Mcgregor VS Mayweather

Who ya guys got?

My heart is saying Mcgregor but my brain is telling me Mayweather. I would equate the switch for Mcgregor to a CFL qb suddenly starting in the NFL or vice versa, they have similarities but very different games.

I think it would have been more interesting if they wore 4 or 8 ounce gloves to give Conor a little more of an advantage. The gloves will be a problem since Mayweather can block and we know he's great at evading.

I think the only way Mcgregor gets this done is in a knockout, if this thing lasts 12 you know Mayweather will win.

I see where people are coming from when they say he has little to no chance but anyone who can KO like him has a chance in any fight, all it takes is one shot.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how he can beat Mayweather in a boxing ring. I commend him for trying. Floyd is just going for gimmicks now imho.

I'm interested in what happens in the heavyweights. Joshua, Klitchko, Wilder, and Tyson Fury are all fun to watch and should start to clash soon. Although Klitchko needs to decide if he is going to retire or rematch Joshua.

McGregor has a chance in the same way that a 16 seed has a chance against a 1. It's theoretically possible because they will both be on the court and the starting five could foul out in the first half, but it is extremely unlikely.

You are talking about a fighter in Mayweather who not only is 49-0, but he has never even been hurt save for maybe a few seconds against Mosley.

Sure it only takes one. But it only took one against Pacquiao, Maidana, Canelo, Cotto, Mosley, Marquez, Hatton, De La Hoya, Judah, Gatti, etc. and none of them could land that one. So to believe in McGregor you have to believe an amateur boxer could do something none of these other fighters could.

McGregor has a chance in the same way that a 16 seed has a chance against a 1. It's theoretically possible because they will both be on the court and the starting five could foul out in the first half, but it is extremely unlikely.

You are talking about a fighter in Mayweather who not only is 49-0, but he has never even been hurt save for maybe a few seconds against Mosley.

Sure it only takes one. But it only took one against Pacquiao, Maidana, Canelo, Cotto, Mosley, Marquez, Hatton, De La Hoya, Judah, Gatti, etc. and none of them could land that one. So to believe in McGregor you have to believe an amateur boxer could do something none of these other fighters could.

I'm not a boxing guy but I watched a couple ten minute vids of the Oscar De La Hoya fight and I have no clue how Mayweather won that.

I'd say more like a 15-2, Mcgregor has the age, size, reach, and power. Like I said not a boxing guy but did any of those guys have the power or reach that could match that of mcgregor? He does have some unique traits to him and I think people focus on his power but forget how long his arms are.

It only takes one punch and that gives him as good a shot as anyone. It's Not like he's a wrestler in the UFC, he is a straight puncher and his wins come from tkos.

With the lowlifes and mega money involved in this fight, I half think Mayweather will allow it to go to a decision or there is some controversial stoppage so they can have a rematch with another $100M payday. Otherwise it won't even be close.

Mayweather has been hurt a few times.

It is correct that all of those other great boxers couldn't hit him, but that was also 5-15 years ago when he was in his prime. How much slower is he at 40 with only 1 fight in the last few years?

Mayweather should win rather easily and I wouldn't be shocked to see him KO McGregor in the first few rounds.

However, if for any reason he has lost a step and tries to go for the knockout instead of outboxing him, I can see how McGregor could get one magical left in. Probably a 100,000-1 type of chance, but stranger things have happened in sports.

I'm not a boxing guy but I watched a couple ten minute vids of the Oscar De La Hoya fight and I have no clue how Mayweather won that.

I'd say more like a 15-2, Mcgregor has the age, size, reach, and power. Like I said not a boxing guy but did any of those guys have the power or reach that could match that of mcgregor? He does have some unique traits to him and I think people focus on his power but forget how long his arms are.

It only takes one punch and that gives him as good a shot as anyone. It's Not like he's a wrestler in the UFC, he is a straight puncher and his wins come from tkos.

Judah, Mosley, and De La Hoya are tall and long but none have the quite the reach of McGregor. But that doesn't mean distance is in McGregor's favor. The biggest problem for McGregor in this fight will be distance. Boxing distance is not the same as MMA distance. Mayweather has been judging distance for his entire life. The reach isn't going to bother him.

McGregor will think he's in range all night, but he won't be. Until he has Mayweather on the ropes, then he will think he's hitting him, but he won't be. He will be hitting shoulders, gloves, and elbows.

The power advantage is a fallacy. No one knows how powerful McGregor is with 12 oz gloves. Maybe he is powerful, maybe not. Maybe he has thudding power but is too slow for it to matter.

Easy win for Mayweather. Padding his stats to 50-0. To this day I still believe he paid Pacquio off. I've seen a ton of his fights and I have never seen him not throw punches for an entire fight like he did. Bad shoulder or not.

Anyways, I see Mayweather running and wearing down Mcgregor and Macgregor succumbing to his usual exhausted self and perhaps losing by knockout later in the rounds. Or it goes the distance and is one of the most boring fights you'll ever see. This is a very easy win for Mayweather. Won't waste a penny on this fight. But will watch it after it's put on YouTube a day later.

To this day I still believe he paid Pacquio off. I've seen a ton of his fights and I have never seen him not throw punches for an entire fight like he did. Bad shoulder or not.

Pacquiao has always been suspect with regards to steroids. When you're on the juice, you don't mind swinging for the fences. You have to be a bit more cautious when you're clean.

Pacquiao has always been suspect with regards to steroids. When you're on the juice, you don't mind swinging for the fences. You have to be a bit more cautious when you're clean.

He may be on the juice or he may not. He did agree with everything Mayweather wanted. The size of the gloves, the ring, the purse, the date, the location, and whose name comes first on the card. Even the entrance was for Mayweather. The fight almost didn't happen because of the blood testing. Hat was extreme for that fight. Pacquiao didn't even get an injection that most would had been able to for the fear of losing the fight. Oh well, as I said, I believe he took a dive for that 150 million.

He may be on the juice or he may not. He did agree with everything Mayweather wanted. The size of the gloves, the ring, the purse, the date, the location, and whose name comes first on the card. Even the entrance was for Mayweather. The fight almost didn't happen because of the blood testing. Hat was extreme for that fight. Pacquiao didn't even get an injection that most would had been able to for the fear of losing the fight. Oh well, as I said, I believe he took a dive for that 150 million.

losing by decision is not taking a dive. Mayweather was the undefeated fighter while Manny was now losing fights on a regular basis and haven't knocked anyone out since his steroid use came out. Why shouldn't Floyd be able to demand he enter last?

Any boxing fan knows Manny Pacquiao's career comes with a huge asterisk*.

I don't think you guys are giving Mcgregor the credit he deserves. Look at the comparison I made with the CFL qb coming to the NFL which is akin to an MMA fighter going to boxing. Who is to say Ricky Ray in his prime couldn't go to a team like Dallas and be successful? He played the US game in college, and a guy like Warner went from the Arena league too so it isn't that farfetched. It's a team sport so it's not the best example but all I could think of.

Mcgregor actually was a boxer in his youth. As I noted it's not like he's a wrestler at all, he is purely a guy who throws punches and KO's. I think to make it more fair Mayweather could have got his way with the boxing rules and all but give Conor the 4 ounce gloves.

I mean it's fair for Mayweather to decide on everything since he didn't chase this fight but he talked a big game saying he'd do it with any size gloves. Well that's BS because Dana White said they wanted nothing to do with 4 ounce gloves and wouldn't do this fight without anything but biggest gloves he could possibly get. With 4 ounce gloves there's a good chance Mcgregor TKO's him.

When you factor the age, hitting power and reach I think he has a better chance than most. The gloves are a big factor but you can see the betting lines changing so Vegas is seeing the same thing.

losing by decision is not taking a dive. Mayweather was the undefeated fighter while Manny was now losing fights on a regular basis and haven't knocked anyone out since his steroid use came out. Why shouldn't Floyd be able to demand he enter last?

Any boxing fan knows Manny Pacquiao's career comes with a huge asterisk*.

Manny was not losing fights prior to Mayweather. He had just won three straight describe before his mini two bout losing streak. And one of those, Timothy Bradley was a rob job. Before that descuon loss Pacquiao had won 15 straight.

As for dives it doesn't matter if you lose by descion or tko. You get paid either way. Look at the stats for that Mayweather bout. Pacquiao averaged 674 punches per 36 mins in his last ten bouts leading up to the Mayweather bout. He threw only 429. Pacquiao averages 29 landed punches per round. He averaged only 6 punches landed per round against Mayweather. Now, I know Mayweather is almost flawless on defense, and Pacquiao's shoulder needed surgery after the fight, but those numbers are so scewed. He has never had a fight anywhere close compared to that fight where he didn't throw punches nor did he land.

As for knocking people out, you're right he has struggled to do that up to that point. But you have to remember he's getting up their in boxers years. Tons of bouts on his belt. I won't argue to much about the roads. He very well could had been on them.

As for the entrance, I'm simply pointing out that this fight wouldn't had happen unless if Pacquiao gave in on every demand. For it wouldn't surprise me if Macgregor took a dive. He's got nothing to lose. Everyone knows Mayweather is the better boxer. Macgregor is going to make more money than he'll ever make in the UFC. It's a no brained for both parties.

Manny was not losing fights prior to Mayweather. He had just won three straight describe before his mini two bout losing streak. And one of those, Timothy Bradley was a rob job. Before that descuon loss Pacquiao had won 15 straight.

As for dives it doesn't matter if you lose by descion or tko. You get paid either way. Look at the stats for that Mayweather bout. Pacquiao averaged 674 punches per 36 mins in his last ten bouts leading up to the Mayweather bout. He threw only 429. Pacquiao averages 29 landed punches per round. He averaged only 6 punches landed per round against Mayweather. Now, I know Mayweather is almost flawless on defense, and Pacquiao's shoulder needed surgery after the fight, but those numbers are so scewed. He has never had a fight anywhere close compared to that fight where he didn't throw punches nor did he land.

As for knocking people out, you're right he has struggled to do that up to that point. But you have to remember he's getting up their in boxers years. Tons of bouts on his belt. I won't argue to much about the roads. He very well could had been on them.

As for the entrance, I'm simply pointing out that this fight wouldn't had happen unless if Pacquiao gave in on every demand. For it wouldn't surprise me if Macgregor took a dive. He's got nothing to lose. Everyone knows Mayweather is the better boxer. Macgregor is going to make more money than he'll ever make in the UFC. It's a no brained for both parties.

Either way, I'm glad to have another fight fan on this board. :-P

I don't know if PAC was juicing or not, there is plenty of speculation about mayweather juicing in the past as well. This was all a smoke screen because at the time PAC was on fire. I think he lost his luster, not due to stopping steroids but that knock out by Marquez. That's got to make anyone nervous getting in the ring again. Anyways, Mayweather easy. I can't believe anyone would pay $100 for this fight. I guess it will be an entertaining first round, sure they are both going to showboat around the rings sticking their tongues out and dancing around like children.