Tested

Has anyone mentioned that the Irish played, all in one season, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best teams in the country?

Yes, there is an argument to be made that other teams were better than Ohio State and/or Stanford; but there is also a strong argument that those two were better than any other team not named Alabama or Clemson.

What's more, no other team in America can say that they were tested to that degree. Even Alabama, playing in the SEC and championship tournament, really only played the 2nd best in team in America and maybe one other top ten team. It was a pretty good Michigan State team: good enough to catch Ohio State napping but, based on the Spartan's performances against Alabama and Iowa, not nearly as good as either Clemson or Stanford. And after Michigan State, the quality of the Tide's competition falls off precipitously with no one else in the top ten.

Granted, Notre Dame went 0-3, and if you want to argue that a miss is as good as a mile, then maybe you think there is no merit in pitting yourself against the best. Me, I like to think playing competitive football against the very best in all of college football will pay dividends down the road.

Iowa was a better team than Notre Dame this year because, what, they beat up on the Illinois State Redbirds, the North Texas Mean Green, and the Iowa State Cyclones? Or was it because they beat Pittsburgh on a 57 yard field goal? Please do not tell me that it was because they lost to Stanford by 29 points. C'mon, man.

Edited by 2lakes

Based on your statement, that means a lot of young players have stood in the face of serious competition & granted, they lost, but have the experience to move forward. In reality & all things considered (injury being #1), they played damned well, losing 3 games by a total of 20 pts. I'd feel much better if we were destroying the weaker competition tho.

They were very good teams no doubt my friend 2lakes, the problem is that we LOST to each and everyone of them, that doesn't leave us much credit to claim beyond two of the losses were close!

And of course Close only counts in Horseshoes and Hand grenades !

ALOHA GO IRISH!

They were very good teams no doubt my friend 2lakes, the problem is that we LOST to each and everyone of them, that doesn't leave us much credit to claim beyond two of the losses were close!

And of course Close only counts in Horseshoes and Hand grenades !

ALOHA GO IRISH!

Theodore Roosevelt would disagree.

Losing while striving against great odds is only failure when it leads to quitting. For the man who struggles on,

"at the worst, if he fails, at least [he] fails while daring greatly."

I'm getting fed up with not beating top teams. As far back as Weis '05 team dropping the heartbreaker to SC, we have been pointing out that our best games were a loss by just oh so close margins. That needs to be rectified.

This.

I'm all for being positive about being competitive. Better to lose by 2 than by 17. But you gotta win SOME of those games.

And our bowl experience is just horrid. We could go 12-0 again and I'd still shudder at the thought of playing Bama, tOSU, FSU, etc. in a post season bowl game (even if it appeared we were better).

Gotta get over the hump somehow.

I'm getting fed up with not beating top teams. As far back as Weis '05 team dropping the heartbreaker to SC, we have been pointing out that our best games were a loss by just oh so close margins. That needs to be rectified.

Yup. I hope, beyond hope, that this is part of the "process". That we've gotten to the point where we can truly play the best teams tough, every time. Hopefully, the next step, and next year, is to start winning those games, followed by a consistency of winning those games most all of the time.

Yup. I hope, beyond hope, that this is part of the "process". That we've gotten to the point where we can truly play the best teams tough, every time. Hopefully, the next step, and next year, is to start winning those games, followed by a consistency of winning those games most all of the time.

I'm with you. I agree its part of what Kelly is doing to build the program. I believe we can all agree that ND was in the dumps for the better part of two decades and wasn't going to just be a come in and win right away situation once we found the right coach.

The program needed a complete revamp from the ground up and that's what Kelly is doing. Ten years ago, had we played the #2, #3, #4 teams in the country, we'd have been curb stomped by every one of them. Now we are at least battling them despite huge losses with injuries.

Next step is winning our fair share of those types of games and to stop losing the head scratchers (we didn't have one this year but were close twice).

Great point. I had noticed that too.

We are better than we were in 2012. In 2012, we were Iowa or Michigan St. this year, schedule broke easier than anticipated, minimal injuries, and maybe a win or two we won by the luck of the Irish.

This year we played two of the top 4 teams to the last play of the game on the road, and lost to another in our bowl game. We beat a ranked team by double digits (Navy). All this with a backup first year starter at QB, not a junior Brady Quinn.

We are so much better than the Weis years. When Charlie played a team that ended up #2 to the last play he got a 10 year extension. When BK did it this year (on the road, not at home like Charlie), a significant # of fans thought his job should be in jeopardy.

I never expect to get blown out anymore. Close losses are a big disappointment now and playing on an even level with top 10 or top 5 teams is no longer something to celebrate but is expected. That is significant progress in my opinion.

I like our scheduling, but it broke tough this year. Just consider that as tough as Alabama's SEC schedule can sometimes be, even they didn't play a single ranked team on the road (several neutral site games though). To play 2 of the top 4 teams on the road is highly unusual, but such great experience for a QB with 3 years of eligibility remaining.

I'm with you. I agree its part of what Kelly is doing to build the program. I believe we can all agree that ND was in the dumps for the better part of two decades and wasn't going to just be a come in and win right away situation once we found the right coach.

The program needed a complete revamp from the ground up and that's what Kelly is doing. Ten years ago, had we played the #2, #3, #4 teams in the country, we'd have been curb stomped by every one of them. Now we are at least battling them despite huge losses with injuries.

Next step is winning our fair share of those types of games and to stop losing the head scratchers (we didn't have one this year but were close twice).

I think if we could've gotten a truly transcendent college coach, like an Urban Meyer back in 2005, maybe, just maybe, we could've ultra jump-started the re-build and win right away. Though, only a few teams every decade, if that, get to do such a thing.

Teddy Roosevelt , underrated by history---one of my favorites.....now there's a guy that would have been a great head coach!

CHARGE!!!

Aloha's

Love ya, Hawaii, but come on... Underrated? I think Roosevelts have been covered as much as almost any American presidents outside of Lincoln and Washington. And for good reason. Both changed the American landscape as much as the Roosevelt presidencies.

Chicken or the egg? Did we hit rock bottom and really had no where else to go but up? Was the mediocrity of Weis, the absentee TW and the underwhelming Davie a product of the administration's and AD's back room politicking for donor expansion. Remember the O'Leary debacle? The football program is the money making machine at the University that still wants to be Ivy League recognized. Our identity is being forced to change. Where will we be in 5 years? I think most of us from the old school will be sad with the inevitable.

Edited by VCDomer

We were truly tested and we won 10 games. Our only losses came at the hands of the top 5 teams in the country.

I am happy with that. No apologies.

If we are talking about my own life where I am in control (for the most part) and I know unequivocally (for the most part) where the blame lies for my losses; then I am not going to be satisfied and there will be blood. And sweat. And tears. And some gnashing of the teeth.

But when it comes to Our Lady's football team, I am a fan: a guy who enjoys and appreciates my team and this game. A guy who supports our players and coaches and the university.

Not a critic or an activist or someone who feels entitled to make demands. Certainly not a hater.

Because ain't nobody got time for all that.

Edited by 2lakes