LSU Slightly Overrated?

I keep on hearing about how LSU is amazing and all the pundits are putting them in the playoffs

But I've been watching their games, and I gotta say...they're definitely good, but IMO, they're not a Top 10 team

Their one quality win was Florida and Florida is EXTREMELY over-rated

Florida got their ranking on the fact that they beat a similarly over-rated Ole-Miss team that needed 4 turnovers and a 1 in a million fluke play to beat Bama..oh and lost to Memphis (who has played no one)

I just don't get the SEC love...They kept touting.."ohh the SEC has a GAUDY OOC record of 33-6 (OOC schedule below)

They play NO ONE...and it should be noted that they play each other close because they have a familiarity with each other. It's so much harder to play a team you don't play on an annual basis

Florida: New Mexico St, ECU* (2-0); next up: FAU, FSU

Georgia: Lousiana Monroe, Southern (2-0); next up: Georgia Southern, GT

UK: UL Lafayette*, E. Kentucky* (2-0); next up: Charlotte, Louisville

Mizzou: Southest Missouri St, Arky St*, UCONN* (3-0); next up: BYU

SC: UNC*, UCF** (2-0); next up: The Citadel (really?), Clemson

Tennesee: Bowling Green**, OU, Western Carolina (2-1); next up: North Texas

Vandy: W. Kentucky (LOST), Austin Peay, Middle Tenn* (1-2); next up: Houston

Alabama: Wisconsin (probably the only somewhat legitimate OOC game), Midd Tenn, Lousiana Monroe (3-0); next up: Charelston Southern (really?)

Arky: UTEP, Toledo (LOST), Texas Tech (1-2); next up: UT Martin

Auburn: Louisville*, Jack st*, San Jose St* (3-0); next up: Idaho (really?)

LSU: McNeese (didn't play), Syracuse**, E. Mich** (2-0); next up: W. Kentucky

Miss St: Southern Miss**, Northwestern St (really?), Troy, Louisiana Tech (4-0)

Ole Miss: UT Martin, Fresno St, New Mexico St, Memphis (3-1) (at least Ole Miss was blowing the first three out)

ATM: ASU (somewhat legitimate, ASU is down and USC trounced them even harder), Ball St, Nevada (3-0); next up: Western Carolina

This why we need an 8 team playoff. So tired of hearing "underrated and overrated". Then when you ask someone how they come to that conclusion they claim "the eye test" (not saying you personally). Well, the problem with that is everyone has eyes. My eyes tell me that Stanford is one of the better teams in the nation but I'm not a player, a coach or a scout so I don't put a lot of emphasis in my eyes. Let it be decided on the field who the best is.

This why we need an 8 team playoff. So tired of hearing "underrated and overrated". Then when you ask someone how they come to that conclusion they claim "the eye test" (not saying you personally). Well, the problem with that is everyone has eyes. My eyes tell me that Stanford is one of the better teams in the nation but I'm not a player, a coach or a scout so I don't put a lot of emphasis in my eyes. Let it be decided on the field who the best is.

Totally agree...I remember I heard Mark May say "I thought Utah was one of the best teams because of the eye test" this past weekend

I thought "wait, I thought Utah was one of the most over-rated teams in the Top 10 because of MY eye test" hahaha

Totally agree...I remember I heard Mark May say "I thought Utah was one of the best teams because of the eye test" this past weekend

I thought "wait, I thought Utah was one of the most over-rated teams in the Top 10 because of MY eye test" hahaha

Utah is last year's TA&M, beat an an above average Michigan team and dismantle an overrated Oregon and people think you are phenomenal. Play teams with athletes on both sides of the ball and they are done...Michigan's wins over BYU and NW don't look all that great now, while Oregon is terrible.

I keep on hearing about how LSU is amazing and all the pundits are putting them in the playoffs

But I've been watching their games, and I gotta say...they're definitely good, but IMO, they're not a Top 10 team

Their one quality win was Florida and Florida is EXTREMELY over-rated

Florida got their ranking on the fact that they beat a similarly over-rated Ole-Miss team that needed 4 turnovers and a 1 in a million fluke play to beat Bama..oh and lost to Memphis (who has played no one)

I just don't get the SEC love...They kept touting.."ohh the SEC has a GAUDY OOC record of 33-6 (OOC schedule below)

They play NO ONE...and it should be noted that they play each other close because they have a familiarity with each other. It's so much harder to play a team you don't play on an annual basis

Florida: New Mexico St, ECU* (2-0); next up: FAU, FSU

Georgia: Lousiana Monroe, Southern (2-0); next up: Georgia Southern, GT

UK: UL Lafayette*, E. Kentucky* (2-0); next up: Charlotte, Louisville

Mizzou: Southest Missouri St, Arky St*, UCONN* (3-0); next up: BYU

SC: UNC*, UCF** (2-0); next up: The Citadel (really?), Clemson

Tennesee: Bowling Green**, OU, Western Carolina (2-1); next up: North Texas

Vandy: W. Kentucky (LOST), Austin Peay, Middle Tenn* (1-2); next up: Houston

Alabama: Wisconsin (probably the only somewhat legitimate OOC game), Midd Tenn, Lousiana Monroe (3-0); next up: Charelston Southern (really?)

Arky: UTEP, Toledo (LOST), Texas Tech (1-2); next up: UT Martin

Auburn: Louisville*, Jack st*, San Jose St* (3-0); next up: Idaho (really?)

LSU: McNeese (didn't play), Syracuse**, E. Mich** (2-0); next up: W. Kentucky

Miss St: Southern Miss**, Northwestern St (really?), Troy, Louisiana Tech (4-0)

Ole Miss: UT Martin, Fresno St, New Mexico St, Memphis (3-1) (at least Ole Miss was blowing the first three out)

ATM: ASU (somewhat legitimate, ASU is down and USC trounced them even harder), Ball St, Nevada (3-0); next up: Western Carolina

You know, according to Adolf Hitler, that's not even a real place.

I think it is still too early to call many teams over or under rated. How many teams have played multiple games against other currently ranked teams?

Most teams played a pretty easy 4 game non-conference and our just now getting into the meat of their conference schedules and many of these are backloaded this year for whatever reason.

Most of the big matchups are still to come, so there just isn't enough data available at this point to make too many valuations of teams.

This has been the SEC's MO for years. I don't disagree that they've had the best one or two teams in the country consistently (until the past few). And their whole conference legend has been built off those top teams.

When you look at the conference top to bottom, its not much different than any other conference. They play no one OOC (in fact HORRIBLE teams) and play each other tough in conference. That's the recipe for being unbeatable apparently.

But it works and they continue to get propped up in the polls as a result.

I know we shouldn't compare last year to this year. But aren't both teams literally the same on both sides of the ball? I think ND wins again if we play LSU this year.

I don't follow LSU anymore than I have to, but what I do know is that Fournette is unbelievable. Had their "coach" used him in the bowl game the way they are now, then I seriously doubt ND would have won.....

Having said that, I do feel like ND is MUCH improved compared to the bowl game...and I don't feel like LSU is all that much different. If ND and LSU played on neutral turf now, I really feel like ND wins.

This has been the SEC's MO for years. I don't disagree that they've had the best one or two teams in the country consistently (until the past few). And their whole conference legend has been built off those top teams.

When you look at the conference top to bottom, its not much different than any other conference. They play no one OOC (in fact HORRIBLE teams) and play each other tough in conference. That's the recipe for being unbeatable apparently.

But it works and they continue to get propped up in the polls as a result.

It worked because they have Alabama and a few years, there was a team that had Newton and another had Tim Tebow. If it was not for Alabama, the SEC would not have had that streak and ESPN would not have partnered with the SEC. Now, ESPN, the sports giant and monopoly, uses every chance they get to shove in our face how great the SEC is. The talent is in the south right now so they will continue to get the big recruiting classes.

It is a circle of money and propoganda. The media seems to be doing that a lot lately... People do not report the news anymore, the report only what furthers their agenda.

SEC has been an over-rated conference for the last 15 years.

Its the same thing year after year...SEC is so great because they have so many ranked teams to start every year, then they claim a lot of "wins over ranked opponents" (ignoring for a moment the same number of "losses to ranked opponents" that everyone else gets hammered on for) and then the cycle repeats.

SEC teams that ND would be 2+ TD winners against:

South Carolina

Missouri

Kentucky

Vanderbilt

Tennessee

Mississippi State

Mississippi

Auburn

SEC Teams that ND would play close but ND would win:

Texas A&M

Georgia

Florida

SEC Teams that would give ND fits, and depending on venue, could be too much to handle for the Irish:

LSU

Alabama

Kelly has beaten LSU and been creamed by Alabama in bowl games; but given a chance to play Alabama again, I think the game between this year's teams would be much, much more competitive than '12. That is mainly because Alabama's offense, outside of Henry, is pedestrian at best and downright awful most of the time.

I think the SEC West has two legit top-10 teams. I think the rest of the conference is middle of the road stuff on par with the rest of the conferences, but with better PR!

Edited by moostache

I don't follow LSU anymore than I have to, but what I do know is that Fournette is unbelievable. Had their "coach" used him in the bowl game the way they are now, then I seriously doubt ND would have won.....

Having said that, I do feel like ND is MUCH improved compared to the bowl game...and I don't feel like LSU is all that much different. If ND and LSU played on neutral turf now, I really feel like ND wins.

I seem to remember them issuing Fournette just fine against us. He ran for quite a few yards. They just didn't have any passing game. And I'm still not convinced(is it Harris?) has gotten that much better in a year. We would win the again if we played them.

I seem to remember them issuing Fournette just fine against us. He ran for quite a few yards. They just didn't have any passing game. And I'm still not convinced(is it Harris?) has gotten that much better in a year. We would win the again if we played them.

Yeah, he had 11 carries for 140 yards or so and returned a kickoff for a TD. Short of handing it to him every time, how much more could he have been used? He was a true freshman after all and didn't have the full offseason of conditioning and weight training he had before this year.

Yeah, he had 11 carries for 140 yards or so and returned a kickoff for a TD. Short of handing it to him every time, how much more could he have been used? He was a true freshman after all and didn't have the full offseason of conditioning and weight training he had before this year.

Umm....11 carries? If you were coaching him in that game how many would he have had?

Umm....11 carries? If you were coaching him in that game how many would he have had?

Revisionist history. He was good last year, but he wasn't what he is now. He had 143 yards, 89 came on 1 carry. So he was good on his other carries, but not like he was gettin 8 yards a carry all day long.

Revisionist history. He was good last year, but he wasn't what he is now. He had 143 yards, 89 came on 1 carry. So he was good on his other carries, but not like he was gettin 8 yards a carry all day long.

I don't disagree that he is even better now....but its not revisionist history. I don't care if we are talking about Fournette or the water boy, he was not being stopped by the D, and was averaging over 5 a carry (if you take out the long TD run). At the time of the game, I was quite thankful that Miles did not give him the ball more.

Take out the names from the conversation. If you are coaching in a tight game where the opposing offense is limiting your snaps, and you have a back that broke one for 89 and was averaging ~5 yards a carry outside of that, does he end the game with 11 carries?

They very well may be overrated but Fournette sure as hell isn't. He is a man amongst boys and I think ND will have to get through them to win it all.....

But, I do think CJ is similar to Fournette. They would have quite a face off.

Edit: Just looked at some stats Fourtnette has about 37 more carries, and (assuming CJ gets 7.1 yards per carry) He would only be <100 yards behind Fourtnette if CJ had just as many carries.

That doesn't mean anything, but CJ and Him are similar in many ways, big, fast, and hard to tackle.

Edited by WeaverIrish