Do you tip?

I was a server all through university.....the way it more or less worked at every place I worked was that you had to tip out both the back of the house (chefs, dishwashers, etc) and the front (bar, hostess) and it was a percentage of your sales. Most common was 2% to the back, 1-1.5% to the front. Therefore, it REALLY SUCKS when people don't tip on account of an error by the chefs (e.g. overdone steak and you don't say anything to get it re-done and instead take it off the tip) because if you leave no tip it ends up costing the server money to serve you. In Canada, servers make less than minimum wage because of the potential for tips.

And remember - when you use gift cards, credit, etc to tip on what the bill would have been, not what it was with everything taken off!!! Usually the server still has to pay out a percentage on the original bill

Had a great meal last night. The waitress wasn't all that attentive. looked like she had some regulars there and spent a lot of time yucking it up with them. They could be big tippers who knows.

Despite that, the food was excellent and because of it I tipped pretty good. Now I wonder if I should have tipped the chef? They cooked the food, the waitress just brings it out. Is tipping the cook a thing?

Do you always tip the same or do you let the service and/or food determine what you leave?

sounds like you are leaning towards the Mr Pink mode of thought when it comes to tipping.

For me it starts at 20% and goes down for poor service, which is pretty much standard these days. Also probably why I prefer to cook more and more.

I try not to ever tip less than 15%. I think it's more a reflection of me as a consumer than the crappy service.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...