Get Ready for Brianna Turner

This 6' 3'' power forward may well be the best player to ever suit up for Notre Dame. She is ranked the number one player in the country in high school. She likes to play the high post and can pop a jumper from 17 on in. She can drive to the basket and can finish with either hand. She is a great defensive player and when she blocks shots she manages to keep them in play.

She will enter the lineup immediately upon arriving at Notre Dame. She will average a double double every night. She will fit in so well with Muffet's share the ball mentality. She could easily have double digit assists. Connecticut will lose the 6' 5'' Dolson and we will outrebound them. We will beat them with regularity. I would love to develop the 6' 4'' Diamond Thompson at center and have a high low post. It would be unstoppable. Instead of Ariel Braker, you have Brianna Turner. Lindsay Allen and Jewell Loyd will be superb. Taya Reimer will benefit with all the attention given Turner. Can you say UN FREAKING DEFEATED.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UConn still has Breanna Stewart, the best women's player in college basketball. (just won ESPN women's basketball player of the year) She's proven, where as Turner hasn't played one second.

She is a great player no doubt but without Dolson she may have to play the post. Her biggest threat is the three ball. We have beaten Stewart 3 our of 4 times, still, she scares me to death, but we can finally out rebound them. Turner runs the floor so well we could have her in there with Taya Reimer and a big post player all at the same time. We could be the best rebounding team in the country.

Jewell Loyd will be a scoring sensation. Lindsay Allen will be asked to score more and will easily. She shoots so well and can drive. Taya Reimer could be better than Achonwa. I really liked what I saw of Diamond Thompson last game. She is so lanky and much quicker than I expected. She could get a ton of garbage.

Not seeing any height in Connecticut's recruiting class.

PS: Jewell Loyd was the Big East newcomer of the year last year, not Breanna Stewart.

PS: all that matters is the present. ;) Stewart = POY, First Team AA. Lloyd, Second Team AA...

Yeah, I've been salivating on the future. We can beat them this year. Stewart has to hit the threes to have a great game. I expect a great game out of Jewell.

PS: all that matters is the present. ;) Stewart = POY, First Team AA. Lloyd, Second Team AA...

Loyd should have been first team. Are you kidding me? ND had the highest RPI in the country but Loyd is relegated to second team why, because she plays team ball? Stewart is phenomenal, but I'll take our Jewell any day.

She is a great player no doubt but without Dolson she may have to play the post. Her biggest threat is the three ball. We have beaten Stewart 3 our of 4 times, still, she scares me to death, but we can finally out rebound them. Turner runs the floor so well we could have her in there with Taya Reimer and a big post player all at the same time. We could be the best rebounding team in the country.

Jewell Loyd will be a scoring sensation. Lindsay Allen will be asked to score more and will easily. She shoots so well and can drive. Taya Reimer could be better than Achonwa. I really liked what I saw of Diamond Thompson last game. She is so lanky and much quicker than I expected. She could get a ton of garbage.

Not seeing any height in Connecticut's recruiting class.

PS: Jewell Loyd was the Big East newcomer of the year last year, not Breanna Stewart.

UConn is banking on getting the number #1 player in the 2014 class (Hoopgurls is a more accurate ranking and has Turner at #2) 6'5 A'ja Wilson. Wilson hasn't declared where she's going (basketball's late signing day is in April), and is down to a final 4 of UConn, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

If Geno doesn't land Wilson, he has to go all out on posts in the 2015 class, as UConn's only center will be graduating. That will be a setback for UConn as they would have to depend on freshman posts for Stewart's senior year. That's not a championship recipe, considering ND will have experienced posts in Reimer, Thompson, Nelson, Turner, and Westbeld.

UConn is banking on getting the number #1 player in the 2014 class (Hoopgurls is a more accurate ranking and has Turner at #2) 6'5 A'ja Wilson. Wilson hasn't declared where she's going (basketball's late signing day is in April), and is down to a final 4 of UConn, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

If Geno doesn't land Wilson, he has to go all out on posts in the 2015 class, as UConn's only center will be graduating. That will be a setback for UConn as they would have to depend on freshman posts for Stewart's senior year. That's not a championship recipe, considering ND will have experienced posts in Reimer, Thompson, Nelson, Turner, and Westbeld.

I was aware of Wilson but thought Turner was a better player at this point. It could change things if they get her but hoping she stays in the south. I'm hoping she won't want to play in a nobody conference when Louisville leaves.

They talk about McGraw being a great recruiter. The truth is, before Skylar, ND was not getting the blue chips like Geno, Pat, Vanderveer, or even Gail Goestenkors of Duke. Muffet won the National Championship in 2001, and, still, it was UConn, Tennessee, Duke, and Stanford pulling in the best recruits. The Irish made it to the sweet sixteen a few times, but that was it between the National Championship and 2010.

Then came Skylar, and, say what you want about her being overrated, but Skylar took the Irish to a sweet sixteen and then three straight final fours in her four years on campus; and she brought them recruiting cache which, with the consistent foundation of work established by Carol Owens over the last fourteen years and the more recent and fiery contribution of Niele Ivey, has elevated the Irish to the top of the recruiting food chain.

McGraw took longer to develop her team and her recruiting chops. As a result she has been put in a position to do just about as much as Auriemma with far less talent over the last five years. Now the scales are swinging over to the the ACC, over to the Irish, and over to McGraw.

I do not know how good Turner is, but she is very good. Coach McGraw ruminated on how exciting it would be to see her dunk in a game. She is the highest rated player to ever select ND: higher rated than Reimer, Diggins, and Lloyd. Not only that, but they brought in another 5 star post player in the same class, Kathryn Westbeld, who graded out higher than Reimer did last year as the 4th ranked player in the country. And they are in the running for the number one ranked recruit in next year's class.

A lot of things can happen. Most notably, injuries. But I am confident that with McGraw's coaching prowess and experience along with the staff that she has developed (don't sleep on Beth Cunningham for one second) and the depth of quality talent she has brought in it could actually become a rare season when the Irish don't reach the Final Four.

Edited by 2lakes

I was aware of Wilson but thought Turner was a better player at this point. It could change things if they get her but hoping she stays in the south. I'm hoping she won't want to play in a nobody conference when Louisville leaves.

Both were scouted at a major combine last summer and Wilson got the edge over Turner. But when you're talking about the #1 and #2 players in the class, you're splitting hairs on how good they actually are. ND is still getting a great player.

I do not know how good Turner is, but she is very good. Coach McGraw ruminated on how exciting it would be to see her dunk in a game. She is the highest rated player to ever select ND: higher rated than Reimer, Diggins, and Lloyd. Not only that, but they brought in another 5 star post player in the same class, Kathryn Westbeld, who graded out higher than Reimer did last year as the 4th ranked player in the country. And they are in the running for the number one ranked recruit in next year's class.

You've got Reimer and Westbeld mixed up. Reimer was #4. Westbeld was #21. And I think you mean the #2 player Samuelson. Most people out this way think she's following her sisters to Stanford.

Both were scouted at a major combine last summer and Wilson got the edge over Turner. But when you're talking about the #1 and #2 players in the class, you're splitting hairs on how good they actually are. ND is still getting a great player.

You've got Reimer and Westbeld mixed up. Reimer was #4. Westbeld was #21. And I think you mean the #2 player Samuelson. Most people out this way think she's following her sisters to Stanford.

Westbeld is ranked #21 but received a grade of 98 and a fifth star from Hoopgurlz. Reimer had five stars but a grade of 97 even though she was ranked 4th in her class.

It's early, but both #1 rated Asia Durr and #7 Napheesa Collier of the 2015 class appear to be seriously considering Notre Dame.

Westbeld is ranked #21 but received a grade of 98 and a fifth star from Hoopgurlz. Reimer had five stars but a grade of 97 even though she was ranked 4th in her class.

It's early, but both #1 rated Asia Durr and #7 Napheesa Collier of the 2015 class appear to be seriously considering Notre Dame.

You sir, are correct on the rankings. My mistake.

I'm a bit skeptical that there are so many highly ranked players this year. If you scroll back through prior years, there were usually 1-3 players rated 98. This year there's 21. I see a 98 as a game changer...a kid who can step on to campus day one and make you account for them as a starter or a 6th person off the bench. I looked back to see who all was ranked a 98 since ESPN and Hoopgurlz merged. Here's the list:

Maya Moore - UConn

Chiney Ogwumike - Stanford

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis - UConn

Breanna Stewart - UConn

Mercedes Russell - Tennessee

Kaela Davis - Georgia Tech

Diamond DeShields - North Carolina

Other than Russell, all of the girls have had an instant impact, and of course, the only 99, Brittany Griner, rewrote the entire game for her 4 years. Giving 21 girls that rating is saying there's no difference between #1 and #21, and that you should expect as much from them as similarly rated players from prior years. That's a lot of expectation to heap on these girls.

17 REBOUNDS gentlemen, in the title game. This is going to be fun to watch. I just also want Diamond Thompson in the mix. She looked much quicker and more agile than I anticipated. Can you imagine her, Turner and Reimer all on the floor together. Reimer would be the slowest girl out there. Poor little 5 star!

Forget Hoopgurlz, Taylor was just named Gatorade National Player of the Year. Ogwumike was the last Houston area native to get the award. Maya Moore surprised her by delivering it in the middle of her English class.

http://m.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Manvel-s-Brianna-Turner-named-Gatorade-Player-of-5334403.php

Gators, yuck.

Awesome!!! I bet the 6' 5'' girl can't dunk but our 6' 3'' girl can. Next year is going to be amazing. Imagine dominating the boards. Jewell is a great rebounder though not tall because she is such a superior athlete. Lindsay Allen will be getting steals. I want Thompson at the post at 6' 4''. We can dominate with put backs, blocks and layups. Mabrey and Madison bombing from afar. Even Jewell and Lindsay Allen can hit a high percentage of threes. Get over UCONN.

Forget Hoopgurlz, Taylor was just named Gatorade National Player of the Year. Ogwumike was the last Houston area native to get the award. Maya Moore surprised her by delivering it in the middle of her English class.

http://m.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Manvel-s-Brianna-Turner-named-Gatorade-Player-of-5334403.php

Gators, yuck.

Nice. like I said...splitting hairs. Also why I had issues with so many players getting that 98 ranking.

Awesome!!! I bet the 6' 5'' girl can't dunk but our 6' 3'' girl can. Next year is going to be amazing. Imagine dominating the boards. Jewell is a great rebounder though not tall because she is such a superior athlete. Lindsay Allen will be getting steals. I want Thompson at the post at 6' 4''. We can dominate with put backs, blocks and layups. Mabrey and Madison bombing from afar. Even Jewell and Lindsay Allen can hit a high percentage of threes. Get over UCONN.

You would lose that bet Okie. There's a couple of articles out there about Wilson dunking in practice. Plenty of girls can dunk, but they choose not to in games. Why, I don't know. Check out this video. Its the pregame for the WNBA all star game, but you can see Maya Moore, Glory Johnson, and Candice Parker throwing it down.

Edited by JayPfromSB