The Walking Dead

I've heard hinting that each season might connect to common threads, ultimately leading to a grand conspiracy

not sure if you have read the Dark Tower...Yellow King, Crimson King?

May be similar to Stephen King, the Crimson King has connections to villains in many books. Kind of an over-arching villain from many different novels.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure if you have read the Dark Tower...Yellow King, Crimson King?

May be similar to Stephen King, the Crimson King has connections to villains in many books. Kind of an over-arching villain from many different novels.

True Detective uses this set of stories and a fictional play, called The King in Yellow, within the stories as its overall theme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_in_Yellow

It's... dark, and weird, and definitely fits the "weird fiction" genre it resides in. But supposedly the connection between it and True Detective is pretty strong. The setting of the stories themselves is Carcosa, which should sound very familiar.

I think you have to suspend reality for every TV show. I think there is so much more you can do with this show. You can always add new people for a different dynamic, kill them off it they don't fit in. Any character can be offed so it can stay fresh.

I think the real problem is too many episodes. Season 1 was just six shows long. Now they do like 16. Great for ad revenue and these episodes with only a few characters at a time and a handful of walkers cut cost.

I'm starting FF through these last episodes.

I definitely agree that reality has to be suspended (especially in a show about flesh eating zombies lol) and don't get me wrong, I'm definitely interested where the new characters will take the show, I just feel like the broader plot points have been somewhat repetitive and I would like to see something a little more fresh.

+1 for True Detective. It will be tough to dethrone the Wire and Breaking Bad for writing, storyline, characters, etc. but the acting is very good. Surprised to see the year McConaughey has had. I used to think he was just an ok actor...now he's shot straight to the top. Hope he keeps it up.

Not sure when Matthew McConaughey became a great actor, but he freaking unreal in that show.

I couldn't agree more. He's amazing on True Detective. That's as good as acting gets. McConaughey has become one of the best actors on the planet after his run of chick flicks a few years back.

I still love The Walking Dead, but they keep bringing on bad actors/actresses that are killing the show. I have no idea why they let some of these people join their cast. Breaking Bad, Ray Donovan, True Detective all have great actors as guest actors. The Walking Dead grabs somebody cheesy and gives them a legitimate, recurring role. Its as if they're actively trying to ruin the show. Plus losing Jon Bernthal sucked because he was great. Even Dale was a solid actor...David Morrissey and a few others were fantastic...even though I didn't love the direction the show went when they all joined. That trio that just joined; the scientist and the "commando" chick who wears no clothing are ridiculous. It pains me to see them on that show. The bow and arrow girl from Woodberry was as bad as it gets as well.

Put my vote in for True Detective....am loving that show and the chemistry between the two of them. Great writing.

Also am getting a little bored of the way they're winding this season up but am sure the last two episodes will make up for it..

FYI, anybody interested in knowing the song played the end of the last episode (like I was), it's 'Blackbird's Song' by Lee DeWyze..

So apparently that is really it for Woody and Matthew on the show. They will NOT be recurring characters from what the lead writer says. He has retained the literary rights to those two characters and says he may bring them back in a series of books...

Off topic but Robert Rodriguez is revisioning "From Dusk to Dawn" in a series that premiers tonight on El Rey (cool channel that combines action sports, Kung Fu movies, and Robert Rodriguez shows I guess)

Not a huge vampire/zombie fan but always looking for another good show.

So apparently that is really it for Woody and Matthew on the show. They will NOT be recurring characters from what the lead writer says. He has retained the literary rights to those two characters and says he may bring them back in a series of books...

I approve of that move...out on a high note.

now only if they would kill off 'CoooooooaaaaRL'

I couldn't agree more. He's amazing on True Detective. That's as good as acting gets. McConaughey has become one of the best actors on the planet after his run of chick flicks a few years back.

This is why you only do one chick flick...two at most. Get the girls hooked then go serious drama / bad *** route. One example is Ryan Gosling. Did The Notebook and then does movies like Drive, Ides of March, Gangster Squad, etc. The best example is Brad Pitt. Got noticed in Thelma & Louise and then never went the chick flick route. Instead he's a bad *** in every single movie from Fight Club to River Runs Through it to Seven to Oceans 11,12,13. Guys lose respect for actors after too many chick flicks and we can never take them seriously after that.

True Detective is for real, best new show in quite a while. McConaughey will be a strong candidate for the Oscar-Emmy double. Having Woody as his straight man was most excellent.

I also agree with the original premise of Walking Dead sucking, post-prison. It is an endless series of setup episodes to attach viewers to new cast that will ultimately be killed off in the finale. It's like the new mole in CTU.

On the plus side, I have managed to get through the season by running a Walking Dead fantasy league at work. Simple premise, straight up draft, whoever has the most characters living at the end of the season wins. Lost the Governor at midseason finale, and think Tyreese is f*cking toast in the next episode.