Global Warming

piratey

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love argument by anecdote. What a pile crap on both sides. It's the "liberals" - give me a break.

If there has been a money grab- it's been by fossil energy producers going back to the Rockefellers. And they will milk that cow until it is dry. Then find another cow.

Jez - green energy, if economically viable - and it is getting more and more viable, is a damn good investment if it ONLY means more energy independence from the instability in the Middle East or the increase harnessing of oil and coal producing nations by China. Fossil fuels are always ultimately controlled by the biggest user and we've been funding China's capital bank to do so by buying all their products and selling them all our debt.

By the way, the biggest investors in green energy my friends?? It is not by "liberals" - nope they are pouring it into TIAA CREF Social Investment mutual fund. The biggest investors in green energy are - TA DA - the big bad energy companies. Biggest wind farms in Texas are owned by that bastion of liberalism, T. Boone Pickens -- a commie-pinko and an A&M fan, which is even worse.

So take all your anecdotally fed opinions, combine them with my anecdotes above and focus your personal energy on more productive arguments like whether Golson should grip by the laces.

Global Warming is a lot like God.

Some believe. Some don't.

In our own lifetimes, we will not know the truth. The answer will be revealed sometime down the road. Thought I'd throw the religion thing in there just to stir up the pot and see where it goes. :winking:

Except in the case of God, if you don't want to pay your tithes, you don't have to...

Global warming forces you to pay your tithes. Be it through taxes on your energy...the gas for your car...the hike in cost applied on products from companies that have to pay a carbon tax...the cost of gov't spending on funding for places like Solyndra...

Except in the case of God, if you don't want to pay your tithes, you don't have to...

Global warming forces you to pay your tithes. Be it through taxes on your energy...the gas for your car...the hike in cost applied on products from companies that have to pay a carbon tax...the cost of gov't spending on funding for places like Solyndra...

Wait when did we start paying GOD?

Ahh ... first world worries about Global Warming.

Science suggests there will be an increase FREQUENCY of severe storms, and the weather pattern changes will also make less land arable, and growing seasons different.

These issues will affect the poorest of the world (Bangladesh especially, Many parts of Africa, and probably the Phillipines, and parts of China).

But hey... that's okay... just so long as you don't have to adjust your lifestyle and energy consumption pattern.

Science suggests there will be an increase FREQUENCY of severe storms, and the weather pattern changes will also make less land arable, and growing seasons different.

These issues will affect the poorest of the world (Bangladesh especially, Many parts of Africa, and probably the Phillipines, and parts of China).

But hey... that's okay... just so long as you don't have to adjust your lifestyle and energy consumption pattern.

Typical Lib response.. We can save everybody by throwing money at it. Climate change is part of a natural cycle that happens within our planet. We cant manipulate it, only adapt or die. Life is futile and fragile, even more so for than those less fortunate. If you haven't noticed the countries that you listed that will be affected the most are either corrupt or total dictatorship/commie countries. We cannot afford to save the world, nor is it our responsibility. If you feel so bad for these people donate YOUR time and MONEY to them, do not try to legislate MY money because I don't give a **** about people that wont fight for their inalienable rights.

Piratey, you're clearly not a scientist.

Global "Warming" is happening, and you can't pick on a data point to say the science is flimsy.

The planet's climate has been trending up since the industrial age hit in full force, and it is well correlated to CO2 levels in the atmosphere and oceans.

http://climate.nasa.gov/

Humans, as the most adaptable species, will survive... many others will not. Many parts of the planet will suffer from more FREQUENT and EXTREME weather events.

Follow the trends, not the data points... like stocks.

I don't buy this stuff for a minute. I see all the billions of dollars going to phony companies like Sollendra and I know for a fact that the liberals are just lying so they can line their pockets. Everybody gets paid, even the phony scientists.

The problem is so much of this money is pumped back into Obama and his cronies. Yeah, everybody should at least know this guy is a con artist living high on our dollar. He's sold out our country. We can never recover from all the money he spent. He screwed our kids. Global warming my butt......

I don't know why I bother in this discussion... i believe positions are hardened, and there's no amount of evidence i could present to change opinions.

The counter arguments to the theory that the observed global warming over two centuries is (largely) man-made seem to fall in the following categories.

1. I don't believe the "alarmist" scientists. 99+% of scientists, people who are trained skeptics, who really don't profit from their analysis (not like a banker or industrialist), are frauds. BUT, even the Koch Brothers sponsored study of a climate skeptic eventually concludes that climate change is "likely" man-made.

http://www.businessinsider.com/koch-brothers-funded-study-proves-climate-change-2012-7

Another well-known skeptic is an MIT professor named Richard Lindzen, who gets a lot of promotion through right-leaning think tanks - the Heartland Instituted (Koch Brothers) and the Cato Intstute.

He is largely alone, and many scientists refute his arguments, but unless you are sufficiently informed and critical, you will need to choose who to believe - Lindzen or the rest of the scientific community... the counter arguments are summarized here:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Lindzen_Illusions.htm

more scientific conventional wisdom is here

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/sunspots-do-not-cause-climate-change-say-scientists-1839867.html

http://solar-center.stanford.edu/sun-on-earth/glob-warm.html

2. It's a liberal political gambit to tax carbon consumption; they are playing into the green economy deep money. BUT, government has been overwhelmingly subsidizing oil exploration and oil companies that are massively profitable... to this day.

http://news.yahoo.com/history-u-oil-subsidies-back-nearly-century-215500548.html

"The American Chemical Society cites a report by Double Bottom Line Venture Capital that explains how the oil industry has reaped benefits from subsidies. From 1918 to 2009, the average annual subsidy was $4.86 billion. By comparison, the nuclear energy industry gets around $3.5 billion per year."

In contrast, people cite Obama's craven political interest in Solyndra - a failed solar concern that effectively received $587 million in loan guarantees.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ciocentral/2013/02/14/government-subsidies-silent-killer-of-renewable-energy/

Some additional context, from 1994 to 2009, oil received $447 billion in subsidies versus $6 billion to renewables.

Let's just end all subsidies for energy.

3. Survival of the fittest baby... the US is strong and well-positioned to weather (no pun intended) any effects due to climate change - manmade or not... the weak will be eliminated from the gene pool.

Why should I care what happens elsewhere? Well, if you're fine with a rise in famine and pestilence events (assuming the climate change conventional wisdom is true), that's on you... these events promote and accelerate social collapse, and I guess I saw it as unnecessary and preventable (although I am less optimistic now). Social collapse has the cascading effect of spreading to more stable regions, through more disease (influenzas, antibiotic resistant diseases) and mass migrations.

So many freak out over Mexicans crossing the border... but look at what is happening in the middle east and elsewhere, largely just from war and standard corruption - boats of refugees flooding Italy and Australia. Eventually, people have nothing to lose and then there's more chaos. But hey, that's okay, we have bigger guns than them...

People aside, we lose biodiversity... SO WHAT? Well, we find a lot of solutions to modern problems in nature - like many medicines. But hey, no big deal.

4. It just snowed in Egypt moron ... how is that global warming?

One data point does not define a trend...

----

Alright, I'm done. Back to football, I guess.

Unproven science.

And your cute little diatribe about "first world problems" is sweet. It's always easy to offer up someone else's money. Typical liberal.

Unproven science.

And your cute little diatribe about "first world problems" is sweet. It's always easy to offer up someone else's money. Typical liberal.

Ah, typical social darwinist.

Your position is easy to defend... you don't want to be responsible or burdened for the troubles of others. The science can't "prove" anything to your satisfaction, because these complex systems and scenarios will played out over decades... so you can be safe and smug in not being proven wrong.

If there is environmental and social collapse, you'll point to other confounding issues - weak political systems, weak people, ignoring the fact that the lack of usable land resource accelerates social collapse.

And really, I am confident, you probably think there are too many people anyway, so a good cleansing - man made or not, is in order.

Life doesn't have to evolve completely around money, but i guess that's your measure of life. enjoy.

guess, i couldn't keep away.

I find it funny that the first snow in 112 years is a non-usable data point, but a single storm like in the Phillipines is a harbinger of things to come, despite many of the most powerful storms on record being recorded 50-60 even 80 years ago.

http://centerforoceansolutions.org/climate/impacts/cumulative-impacts/storm-intensity/

climate science suggests an increase in frequency and intensity of storms. it predicts more extreme weather events... the snow storm could fall into this pattern.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/extreme-weather-global-warming-intermediate.htm

http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Threats-to-Wildlife/Global-Warming/Global-Warming-is-Causing-Extreme-Weather.aspx

But, really, do you care?

Ah, typical social darwinist.

Your position is easy to defend... you don't want to be responsible or burdened for the troubles of others. The science can't "prove" anything to your satisfaction, because these complex systems and scenarios will played out over decades... so you can be safe and smug in not being proven wrong.

If there is environmental and social collapse, you'll point to other confounding issues - weak political systems, weak people, ignoring the fact that the lack of usable land resource accelerates social collapse.

And really, I am confident, you probably think there are too many people anyway, so a good cleansing - man made or not, is in order.

Life doesn't have to evolve completely around money, but i guess that's your measure of life. enjoy.

guess, i couldn't keep away.

http://users.gtpla.net/forum/attachments/2a0ca-good_good_let_the_butt_hurt_flow_through-jpg.88719/

They've been doing this chicken little climate thing for over a hundred years. Deciding weather(pun intended) it's getting hot or cold. Now they've thrown their hands up and said Climate "Change" and said the heat will cause cold. And a science that they can't use to predict weather 3 days out is predicting decades in advance. Face it. It's a crap shoot. They have egg on their face from the hockey stick graph and falsifying data points to pound home a message.

I forgot that we never had natural disasters before. Hurricane's(pssst they are at historic lows this year) and Typhoons didn't exist before man made global warming.

You wanna argue climate "change"? Fine, the climate is always changing. But it's the MAN MADE part they can't even remotely prove.

Edited by piratey

http://centerforoceansolutions.org/climate/impacts/cumulative-impacts/storm-intensity/

climate science suggests an increase in frequency and intensity of storms. it predicts more extreme weather events... the snow storm could fall into this pattern.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/extreme-weather-global-warming-intermediate.htm

http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Threats-to-Wildlife/Global-Warming/Global-Warming-is-Causing-Extreme-Weather.aspx

But, really, do you care?

But, but, but.....global warming "caused" hurricane Katrina so where the hell have all of the hurricanes been since? Heck, the US should be hit with at least 2 dozen of those by now. Oh yeah, we have had a record LOW landfalls in the last 2 years. So the hippies will have to wait until the next major disaster to cry global warming.

I also laugh when the global warming types say that extreme weather is caused by global warming. So to set things straight, unless the weather patterns are exactly the same from now until the end of eternity, we have a massive problem ensuing. If historical data said June temperatures in the midwest in 1955 were 81F and this year it was 88F...we are all doomed.

It is December now and we have February weather in the Midwest. I saw last week that 63.3% of the US was under snow cover. I suppose that is an effect of global warming? Last year it was a normal winter. The year before that it was 60F in South Bend in Feb. So which is it? Oh right, the blanket, easiest explanation is that the FLUCTUATIONS are now because of global warming.

In the 70's the earth was too cool and the scramble was on to try and figure out how to warm it up. This planet is 4.5 billion years old and we are flipping out over data that is 100 years old....and the board's resident liberal is lecturing us on perspective and morality. Perfect.