another obama vacation wtf

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not unique to our current President and the only source that they have comes from this sentence from the Washington Post:

"Obama’s trip could cost the federal government $60 million to $100 million based on the costs of similar African trips in recent years, according to one person familiar with the journey, who was not authorized to speak for attribution."

There is literally no data or reputable sources to back it up.

There are way juicier things to complain about in Washington right now.

This is not unique to our current President and the only source that they have comes from this sentence from the Washington Post:

"Obama’s trip could cost the federal government $60 million to $100 million based on the costs of similar African trips in recent years, according to one person familiar with the journey, who was not authorized to speak for attribution."

There is literally no data or reputable sources to back it up.

There are way juicier things to complain about in Washington right now.

No a SINGLE vacation is not...but a vacation...during a scandal **** storm?

Obama took 13 vacations in his first term, which spanned all or part of 83 days, his annual vacations to Hawaii alone have cost taxpayers at least $20 million during his first term. In 2011 alone, Michelle Obama may have cost taxpayers $10 million on vacations herself.

I imagine the lion's share of the costs comes from this:

Hundreds of U.S. Secret Service agents will be dispatched to secure facilities in Senegal, South Africa and Tanzania. A Navy aircraft carrier or amphibious ship, with a fully staffed medical trauma center, will be stationed offshore in case of an emergency.

Military cargo planes will airlift in 56 support vehicles, including 14 limousines and three trucks loaded with sheets of bullet*proof glass to cover the windows of the hotels where the first family will stay. Fighter jets will fly in shifts, giving 24-hour coverage over the president’s airspace, so they can intervene quickly if an errant plane gets too close.

I don't think Obama has any say in how much protection he gets on his vacations. Also of note, the safari that was planned was cancelled:

But officials said Thursday that the safari had been canceled in favor of a trip to Robben Island off the coast of Cape Town, South Africa, where Nelson Mandela was held as a political prisoner.

When The Post first asked White House officials about the safari last week, they said no final decision had been made. A White House official said Thursday that the cancellation was not related to The Post’s inquiries.

“We do not have a limitless supply of assets to support presidential missions, and we prioritized a visit to Robben Island over a two-hour safari in Tanzania,” said spokesman Josh Earnest. “Unfortunately, we couldn’t do both.”

Internal administration documents circulated in April show that the Obama family was scheduled to go to both Robben Island and the safari park, according to a person familiar with the plans.

It's not like he's just going on vacation to relax and sight-see.

White House officials said the trip was long overdue, marking Obama’s first visit as president to sub-Saharan Africa aside from a 22-hour stopover in Ghana in 2009. The emerging democracies on the itinerary are crucial partners in regional security conflicts, Rhodes said.

Obama will hold bilateral meetings with each country’s leader and seek to forge stronger economic ties at a time when China is investing heavily in Africa. He also will highlight global health programs, including HIV/AIDS prevention.

The first lady, who toured South Africa and Botswana without the president in 2011, will headline some events on her own during the week. The stops will add to the logistical challenges, because she will require her own security detail and vehicles, the planning document shows.

We (taxpayers) are spending a comparitively large amount of money to keep the leader of the "free" world safe as he pushes to strengthen relationships between us and sub-Saharan African nations.

(All above quotes taken from http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obamas-trip-to-africa-poses-special-challenges-enormous-costs/2013/06/13/29d9270a-cd29-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_print.html)

A quick Google search yielded this Yahoo! article concerning Presidents and vacations during their first 31 months in office: http://news.yahoo.com/comparison-recent-presidential-vacation-time-160400657.html

Obama: 72 days after his winter stay in Hawaii in winter 2011/2012

Bush 42: 180 days

Clinton: 28 days

Reagan: 112 days

(Bush 40 data is missing from the article, may try to find better data later).

This is not unprecendented at all.

Obama has taken less vacation time than any president in recent history. Dubya was the king. Criticizing for taking for excess when he takes less vacations, wtf.

http://m.theweek.com/article.php?id=235844

The article above debunks 5 of the top myths promulgated by right wing political correctness about Obama.

Right wing PC?? Your kidding right?? The reason people get sick of Obamas vacations has to do with our unemployment rate.

The right wing grabbed the politically correct nonsense baton from the left 20 years ago. It stuns me that they can't see that.

McConnel answered the question on why his troops were not working with Obama on the trashed economy caused by Bush. McConnel said his job was not to put Americans back to work. His job was to put Obama out of work so they spent all their time blocking any legislation to trigger jobs. Unemployment is down, the market is at an all time high, houses are recovering their values but we still really need to rebuild our infrastructure.

How can the right not realize their entire body of thought is nothing but politically correct noise making? It never ceases to amaze me at how immune they think they sre from such a shortcoming while at the same time their politicians are not allowed to show any independent thought for fear of being branded a rino or an oath breaker. If they stray from their shallow politically correct thinking, they are considered traitors.

The right wing grabbed the politically correct nonsense baton from the left 20 years ago. It stuns me that they can't see that.

McConnel answered the question on why his troops were not working with Obama on the trashed economy caused by Bush. McConnel said his job was not to put Americans back to work. His job was to put Obama out of work so they spent all their time blocking any legislation to trigger jobs. Unemployment is down, the market is at an all time high, houses are recovering their values but we still really need to rebuild our infrastructure.

How can the right not realize their entire body of thought is nothing but politically correct noise making? It never ceases to amaze me at how immune they think they sre from such a shortcoming while at the same time their politicians are not allowed to show any independent thought for fear of being branded a rino or an oath breaker. If they stray from their shallow politically correct thinking, they are considered traitors.

It's not a partisan issue. Both parties are controlled by lobbyists. There are very few politicians that come to mind that HAVEN'T been bought and are actually in it to serve the American public. Off the top of my mind: Elizabeth Warren and Rand Paul. I'm on mobile right now but when I get my computer back from the shop, I'll make a better argument to support this, with links and everything.

I think you are referring to the get money out of politics movement. I like that. I hope they start with Citizen United. At least with the lobbying abuses they have to disclose where the money is coming from. PACs do not have to disclose their donors.

I thought the issue was bashing Obama for (gasp) taking a vacation while people are unemployed. I was pointing out that it just right wing politically correct Obama bashing. He has taken less vacations than any president in recent history. Plus, in the face of starve the beast evangelism his administration somehow kept the unemployment dollars flowing, auto jobs going and more.

Getting the obscene amount of dollars out of politics so content instead of filling election coffers is the compelling interest of an elected official just makes a lot of sense.

Wow, I don`t know where you get your information but it must be from the WH.

ObamaCare is taxing everything and the cost of insurance is going through the roof. The insurance deductibles are so high that families can not let their kids play sports. And the worse will kick in in January.

Unemployment is down ONLY because millions have been out of work for so long that they are not counted. There has never been as many foreclosures as we have now. And the 400 plus, job killing regulations took a master mind.

There is nothing that you can buy that cost less than two years ago and the Federal government is the largest employer in the world and still growing. Even the Czars that Obama put into key places are federal employees and they answer to No one.

NASA or the IRS will be reading this post and now I will get an audit for answering a stupid post.

Wow, I don`t know where you get your information but it must be from the WH.

ObamaCare is taxing everything and the cost of insurance is going through the roof. The insurance deductibles are so high that families can not let their kids play sports. And the worse will kick in in January.

Unemployment is down ONLY because millions have been out of work for so long that they are not counted. There has never been as many foreclosures as we have now. And the 400 plus, job killing regulations took a master mind.

There is nothing that you can buy that cost less than two years ago and the Federal government is the largest employer in the world and still growing. Even the Czars that Obama put into key places are federal employees and they answer to No one.

NASA or the IRS will be reading this post and now I will get an audit for answering a stupid post.

You are right on BAMA. If Obama Care was so good why does OBama and Pelosi let their constituents opt out of it!!! Just wait till the dollar is no longer the standard by which everything is judged. China, Germany and others are now opting to deal in other currencies. This is because of Obama's insane fiscal policies. Top economists are expecting double digit inflation and total collapse of the economy once the feds quit printing money. People, we are in trouble. Obama is not for us.

Insurance has always been through the roof. America spends over 9000 a year per person in health care. We are the only industrial nation that does not have a universal care system. Finland is second on health care per person costs. They spend a little over 3,000.

No industrial country on earth wants our health care model because it would destroy their economy and deliver poor health. In short, the collective wisdom of the citizens of every single industrialized nation on earth thinks our system is ridiculously unaffordable. Where on earth are you getting your information from that suggests otherwise? Is this just more right wing politically correct nonsense.

How on earth can the right wing be so myopic that they ignore the successes of every single industrial nation on this issue. How do they ignore that there is no credible opposition in those countries where their citizens seek to adopt our model.

The only problem with ObamaCare (aka as Heritage Foundation Care since they were the architects of it) is that the right wing refused to cooperate and find ways to make it work so the left had to do it alone. Unbelievable. 32 of the 33 nations on earth have universal care models the right wing could use as paradigms and the they ignored all of them. Instead, they just made a lot of free market evangelism noise that our system was the envy of a world which has clearly rejected it.

The whole industrial world has rejected our model. Think about that. Despite that, the right wing rank and file think they all envy us. And you think your view is not just right wing politically correct talking points.

We pay three times per person more than any other country on health care and our life expectancy is ranked lower than other countries.

We need a public option but it scares the heck out of the insurance companies because they can't compete with it. They can't come close to providing as much care for the price as every single industrial nation on earth.

They can't even accept the German model.

Edited by REMND

Insurance has always been through the roof. America spends over 9000 a year per person in health care. We are the only industrial nation that does not have a universal care system. Finland is second on health care per person costs. They spend a little over 3,000.

No industrial country on earth wants our health care model because it would destroy their economy and deliver health. In short, the collective wisdom of the citizens of every single industrialized nation on earth thinks our system is ridiculously unaffordable. Where on earth are you getting your information from that suggests otherwise? Is this just more right wing politically correct nonsense.

How on earth can the right wing be so myopic that they ignore the successes of every single industrial nation on this issue. How do they ignore that there is no credible opposition in those countries where their citizens seek to adopt our model.

The only problem with ObamaCare (aka as Heritage Foundation Care since they were the architects of it) is that the right wing refused to cooperate and find ways to make it work so the left had to do it alone. Unbelievable. 32 of the 33 nations on earth have universal care models the right wing could use as paradigms and the they ignored all of them. Instead, they just made a lot of free market evangelism noise that our system was the envy of a world which has clearly rejected it.

The whole industrial world has rejected our model. Think about that. Despite that, the right wing rank and file think they all envy us. And you think your view is not just right wing politically correct talking points.

We pay three times per person more than any other country on health care and our life expectancy is ranked lower than other countries.

We need a public option but it scares the heck out of the insurance companies because they can't compete with it. They can't come close to providing as much care for the price as every single industrial nation on earth.

They can't even accept the German model.

The Bush and the left wing **** is getting very old. The Democrats have had control for the last six years while Bush was president and five years under Obama. Eleven straight years of control by the Democrats. The unemployment and inflation is because of the failed programs of the Democrats. All of the Housing problems and the high cost of insurance is caused by the Democrats. Obama let the Bush tax breaks expire on companies buying new equipment to expand and hire new employees.

Where is the pipe line from Canada? The same one that Obama said that he would approve the first week of his second term. Speaking of Canada, ask them what they think of National insurance. Government run insurance? I know you are joking with us when you said that.

Every single industrial nation on earth has rejected our health care model. Can you explain that?

As far as the right wings performance since Obama has become President, it has been obstruct everything. Make sure nothing gets done. Despite that he is getting things done and we are all better off than when he began. We would just be even better off if the right would just get rid of their extremism. Why on earth would we not criticize that.

I think the right's performance is best exemplified by their rejection of the grand bargain that David Brooks called the Mother of No brainers. People are still criticizing Bush and the right wing because they flat out earned it with their extremism. I am curious do you know that this present NSA upset is about Bush's Patriot Act where he allowed himself to spy on us with no oversight. Fortunately, OBama went for oversight to make sure there is a check and balance system in place. Odd, unfettered domestic spying on Americans by Bush to combat terrorism. The right says that was a good thing. Obama does the same but basically has to be monitored by a panel to protect citizens to combat terrorism. The right says the scandall of the century.

I am curious, did you notice that Bush cancelled an overseas trip recently because it was threatened that he would be arrested as a war criminal. I bet you're tired of the international sentiment that rejects him and our right wing as well. Seems to me you should spend more time looking into why virtually the entire world has rejected Bush's legacy and our right wing than being sensitive about attacks against the rights dogma.