Geek out

piratey

With the world set to end this afternoon, figured I should start up a thread to take the pulse on here to find out who else is a big giant nerd.(Or even just a little bit nerdy) So what's your poison? Me? Well just about everything. I've always been a closet nerd and my interests are about as deep seeded as it gets.

-I read Invisible/Walking Dead monthly, Ultimate Spider-man(until they killed Peter Parker), Deadpool, X-Men...previous favorites include Y:The Last Man, Amazing X-Men, Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Planetary, 100 bullets, Queen and Country.

-JRPG and old school video games are my jam. I dig some of the newer titles(Mass Effect, Skyrim, Dark Souls) but my true love is the 90s. Lucas Arts point and click games? Yes please. Anything where you had to blow in it to get to work. Counter Strike? Warcraft II? Command and Conquer? Age of Empires II? 1337 stuff right there. I even shed a tear at the end of the first disc of Final Fantasy 7.

-Partially recovering Otaku...Anime and I go way back, back to the days of Saturday Anime on Sci Fi channel where they played Iria, Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll...I used to order fansubs on tape cassette back in the 90s. Favorites include, Evangelion, Code Geass, Rurouni Kenshin, Slayers, Hellsing OVA, anything studio Gilbi and Hayato Miyazaki(Mononoke, Spirited Away, Nausicaa)Kare Kano, Berserk. These days, I mostly read Manga online, hence the recovering.

-I read lots of books, mostly science fiction and historical fiction. But I do love some Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms... I love Dan Simmons work, especially the Hyperion quadrilogy, his take on the future is second to none. I've gotten really snobby about it too, interstellar space travel bugs me, the logistics are impossible without bending space/time.

So you wanna make a confession? Or do I stand alone?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no one responded to you yet, so I'll take a turn. I am a huge geek when it comes to cartoons, movies, toys, comics, etc.

-I don't collect comics hardly at all anymore. It got too expensive for me starting a family. I still pick up collected editions every once in awhile. I started reading GI Joe religiously when I was younger(HUGE Snake_Eyes and Storm Shadow fan). I moved into superhero stuff mainly Superman, Justice League, Batman, mainly DC universe stuff, but I read my friends X-Men back when Jim Lee was working on it. Was a huge Battle Chasers fan. Never got into the Vertigo stuff much, though the Walking Dead show(LOVE IT) has got me thinking about picking up the collected additions of that book.

-Big Sci-Fi and Fantasy movie fan, Star Wars, Star Trek, Blade Runner, Aliens, Predator, superhero ones, Dune, Close Encounters of 3rd Kind, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc.

-Video games, loved Diablo 1+2, Final Fantasy 7+8, currently playing DC Universe online, Command and Conquer, NCAA Football in any year, Age of Empires, Alpha Centari.

-Books, Hobbit and LOTR, Star Wars by Timothy Zahn, Tom Clancy stuff, History involving WWII especially(just read Beyond Band of Brothers by Dick Winters and loved it), Harry Potter series, etc.

Maybe I'll think of some more geek stuff later. My idea of a possible dream vacation besides seeing ND, which I did last year, is to go to San Diego Comicon.

I collect Rankin-Bass Christmas stuff...

I love anime like Gunsmith Cats, Akira, Lupin III, Star Blazers, Robotech...

Huuuuge Twin Peaks fan...huge...

I collect high res Notre Dame images with the veracity of a sports card collector...

Oh yeah, friends and I have Risk tourney each boxing day. Tradition dates back about 20 years...

Edited by Rocketsan

I collect Rankin-Bass Christmas stuff...

I love anime like Gunsmith Cats, Akira, Lupin III, Star Blazers, Robotech...

Huuuuge Twin Peaks fan...huge...

I collect high res Notre Dame images with the veracity of a sports card collector...

Oh yeah, friends and I have Risk tourney each boxing day. Tradition dates back about 20 years...

Risk tourney's, that brings back lots of found childhood memories during Christmas at Grandpa and Grandma's with my cousins. After eating diner and opening presents, we boys would lock ourselves away and play Risk for hours on end. Good times! I just started teaching my 8 y/o Risk the other day.

I'm into music collecting, cd's, records, tapes, especially very early psyhedelic often european, like " Grove 1856- " Agemo's trip to mother earth", Mystic Siva and Earth and Fire, also little known zydeco and country music like "Donna the Buffalo, and The Mosquitos.

I too collect not so mainstream music. And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead... The Melvins... Sonic Youth...

Unfortunately, 4 kids take time away from my nerdom, but I still dabble on occasion.

I used to love playing D&D, have LAN parties, rock an old school NES (Final Fantasy I for you "Old Timers").

I actually find newer video games too involved. I love me some Skyrim/Final Fantasy/Oblivion/DragonQuest, but you can't just put in 30 minutes anymore and come back later. I get too involved.

I love listening to all sorts of fantasy books. From young adult stuff (Septimus Heap, Rangers' Apprenctice, Last Apprentice, Gregor the Overlander, The Secrets of the immortal Nicolas Flammel, etc.) to more "advanced" adult fantasy (Callahan Chronicles, GOT, LOTR, really, anything that looks interesting at the library).

I'll dabble with some Brian Greene or Stephen Hawking once in a while when I want to feel dumb.

Still shiek to geek?

Mid to late 30s so my best geek outs likely to come....maybe I'll tackle one of those ship in a bottle projects soon here as time frees up.

Currently:

ND media guides and game programs

jerseys (you see a guy rocking a Watters Eagles jersey, likely me...and I hate the Eagles)

indy music, mostly hip hop

old audio equipment and vinyl

Cartoons and comics from the 80s

Shaw Bros. kung fu movies

Graffiti

Noticed you like kung fu movies, try Asian horror movies especially the Korean movie the "Housemaid" and a Japanese gem " Throne of Blood" by Akira Kurosawa, with Toshiro Mifune and the legendary Isuzu Yamada, she plays the most scheming evil pressence on film, all with the demeanor and facial mannerisms of an angel.

Noticed you like kung fu movies, try Asian horror movies especially the Korean movie the "Housemaid" and a Japanese gem " Throne of Blood" by Akira Kurosawa, with Toshiro Mifune and the legendary Isuzu Yamada, she plays the most scheming evil pressence on film, all with the demeanor and facial mannerisms of an angel.

Appreciate it, always looking for new ways to get my nerd on.

I see no one responded to you yet, so I'll take a turn. I am a huge geek when it comes to cartoons, movies, toys, comics, etc.

-I don't collect comics hardly at all anymore. It got too expensive for me starting a family. I still pick up collected editions every once in awhile. I started reading GI Joe religiously when I was younger(HUGE Snake_Eyes and Storm Shadow fan). I moved into superhero stuff mainly Superman, Justice League, Batman, mainly DC universe stuff, but I read my friends X-Men back when Jim Lee was working on it. Was a huge Battle Chasers fan. Never got into the Vertigo stuff much, though the Walking Dead show(LOVE IT) has got me thinking about picking up the collected additions of that book.

-Big Sci-Fi and Fantasy movie fan, Star Wars, Star Trek, Blade Runner, Aliens, Predator, superhero ones, Dune, Close Encounters of 3rd Kind, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc.

-Video games, loved Diablo 1+2, Final Fantasy 7+8, currently playing DC Universe online, Command and Conquer, NCAA Football in any year, Age of Empires, Alpha Centari.

-Books, Hobbit and LOTR, Star Wars by Timothy Zahn, Tom Clancy stuff, History involving WWII especially(just read Beyond Band of Brothers by Dick Winters and loved it), Harry Potter series, etc.

Maybe I'll think of some more geek stuff later. My idea of a possible dream vacation besides seeing ND, which I did last year, is to go to San Diego Comicon.

Ahhhh Jim Lee.... The best comic artist ever in my opinion. Anyway, i used to collect comics religiously and still have most of em. Back in my hayday of collecting Image comics just hit the scene. Spawn.. Youngbloods.. Wildcats... Etc so you can see its been a while since ive collected. As far as games go i still play some but mostly sports games at this point. I started with Atari and have pretty much had every system since. My question is, am i the only thats ever played/heard of the old system Intelevision?(sp). Every time i mention it people look at me like im crazy.

My question is, am i the only thats ever played/heard of the old system Intelevision?(sp). Every time i mention it people look at me like im crazy.

No, definitely heard of Intelevision. I think that came out right around the time we had a Texas Instrument. Man I loved that cheap, knockoff Pacman.

• 3 months later...
Also collect vintage gaming systems like TurboGrafx16, Sega Master System, Sega Saturn etc.

How you doin'?

http://i.imgur.com/kkFeNh1l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WmtqPX0l.jpg

Mine is SNES, NES, Genesis...I've valued my collection at over $1500-2500 depending on the market. Gems like Earthbound with the box and the guide go a long way($300), I could get 80-100 for my Chrono Trigger!

Edited by piratey

I'm a Batman Nerd, I have a bunch of the graphic novels and I'm thinking of trying to get some of the different collections (like the new 52) Also I wear my Batman fandom with pride as I have a Batsymbol (from the Nolan series) tattoo

I just recently caught up with all of the The 52. I loved the direction of Detective Comics and the main Batman title but I have serious issues with some of the other Batman titles, especially Batman Inc, it's too difficult to understand how everything fits together and Batman as a character seems so radically different depending on who's the writer, they don't have a uniform voice or personality for him. The Batman in JLA is not the Batman in Detective Comics is not the Batman in Batman Inc.

For my moneys worth, you can't possibly get better than the Holy Trinity of Batman Comics: The Killing Joke, The Dark Knight Returns and The Long Halloween.

Like Walking Dead, if anyone wants to read one of those three titles, let me know. The Killing Joke is straight evil Joker, it's considered the finest "Hero vs. Villain" comic of all time. The Dark Knight Returns on the same side is considered maybe the finest graphic novel of all time, many an argument has started comparing DKR and The Watchmen. You don't get The Watchmen without DKR though, DKR is considered the father of the modern Adult Graphic Novel. And the Long Halloween? It's Batman, early career, in a fantastic noir setting. I could have put Year One(many would) but I already have a Frank Miller title on there!