Geek out

piratey

I remember when I played video games... seems like a distant memory.....

In 2011 I still managed to rock out an hour of COD or Battlefield every night on my PS3 after my daughter was born. But then came my twin boys 15 months later... so I sold my PS3 and bought a couple cribs....

Then I took a further step away from being awesome and sold my 4x4 for Chrysler Town & Country. I'm pretty sure that thing castrated me as soon as I sat in it.

Now I'm a full time Dad and my video-gaming nerd rests in peace.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when I played video games... seems like a distant memory.....

In 2011 I still managed to rock out an hour of COD or Battlefield every night on my PS3 after my daughter was born. But then came my twin boys 15 months later... so I sold my PS3 and bought a couple cribs....

Then I took a further step away from being awesome and sold my 4x4 for Chrysler Town & Country. I'm pretty sure that thing castrated me as soon as I sat in it.

Now I'm a full time Dad and my video-gaming nerd rests in peace.

Till they're old enough to play them with you! See my strategy is simple, my kids won't be allowed to play the new games till they beat the old games first. The number of pre-pubescent boys on FPS is absurd and the parents should be flogged for allowing it. I'll have my kids trained on my extensive SNES, NES and Genesis before they are allowed to play the more adult games on the next gen systems.

Till they're old enough to play them with you! See my strategy is simple, my kids won't be allowed to play the new games till they beat the old games first. The number of pre-pubescent boys on FPS is absurd and the parents should be flogged for allowing it. I'll have my kids trained on my extensive SNES, NES and Genesis before they are allowed to play the more adult games on the next gen systems.

I like that strategy.

Mine is SNES, NES, Genesis...I've valued my collection at over $1500-2500 depending on the market.

Have a client that recently sold his entire NES collection for huge bucks. He tells me he was missing just a few rarities. Some of the games he described I'd never even heard of...

My eight year old legitimately beat me 5-1 on NHL hockey last night...no more pretending to cough it up in my end anymore...

NHL 94??

BF0dA0dCYAAcCay.jpg

As a lifelong Wings fan, Detroit fan and hater of all things Chicago...The '94 Blackhawks and Jeremy Roenick are the third most powerful force in video game history.

(behind)

http://arolemodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/doom-bfg.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSc7Bt-KC5Iu-zkvWRKroTOOzZW1sVRT_e3terQw-8NDWnd0bOe

I totally agree with this. In my opinion, you cannot full appreciate the games of today without playing the games of the past. Games now focus so much on the visual aspect and hot perrdyy it looks. Games like COD have sequels every year and as a result the quality suffers.

I mostly stick to sports games now, although there are usually 1-2 non sports games a year i will dive into. I still have all of my old systems and used to break them out with my friends every once in a while for a little nostalgia. One of these days i need to dust off the PS2 and break out my FFVII, which is in my opinion the best RPG ever.

Played WoW for a little while, never tried to get too into it bc i knew i would get obsessed and play too much (saw this happen to several family members).

But seriously i would like to see anyone on this board challenge me to NCAA13...cant be beat. Heck i'd even spot you 10.

This is a really nice thread tho, first time i have seen it. You better believe i will be googling everything you guys have been talking about in my next class.

I totally agree with this. In my opinion, you cannot full appreciate the games of today without playing the games of the past. Games now focus so much on the visual aspect and hot perrdyy it looks. Games like COD have sequels every year and as a result the quality suffers.

I mostly stick to sports games now, although there are usually 1-2 non sports games a year i will dive into. I still have all of my old systems and used to break them out with my friends every once in a while for a little nostalgia. One of these days i need to dust off the PS2 and break out my FFVII, which is in my opinion the best RPG ever.

Played WoW for a little while, never tried to get too into it bc i knew i would get obsessed and play too much (saw this happen to several family members).

But seriously i would like to see anyone on this board challenge me to NCAA13...cant be beat. Heck i'd even spot you 10.

This is a really nice thread tho, first time i have seen it. You better believe i will be googling everything you guys have been talking about in my next class.

PS3? We should set up an online league when 2014 launches!

Check out Heavy Rain, you can get it for 20 bucks on walmart.com

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/heavy-rain-directors-cut/97992?gclid=CL_M4Inpz7YCFdNzMgod624AEg&affid=9797&cid=ppc_60000004

It's unlike any video game I've ever played, it's truly an "adult" video game. Not in the sense of gore or nudity, but in that it has a grown up story and is "mature" in the true sense of the word. It's fantastic. Definitely recommend it for everyone with a PS3.

PS3? We should set up an online league when 2014 launches!

Check out Heavy Rain, you can get it for 20 bucks on walmart.com

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/heavy-rain-directors-cut/97992?gclid=CL_M4Inpz7YCFdNzMgod624AEg&affid=9797&cid=ppc_60000004

It's unlike any video game I've ever played, it's truly an "adult" video game. Not in the sense of gore or nudity, but in that it has a grown up story and is "mature" in the true sense of the word. It's fantastic. Definitely recommend it for everyone with a PS3.

Unfortunately I am an Xbox 360 guy, but I would definitely be interested in making an Online Dynasty for anyone with an Xbox for NCAA14. That game looks intriguing, i will prob borrow a PS3 from a friend and check it out.

I'm in for a PS3 online league. I've been playing Skyrim pretty much exclusively since I got it about a month ago. I dabble in NBA Jam, Mario, and Donkey Kong on my SNES, though.

About the "showing your kids old school games first", just realize that they might do what I did- go to a friends/neighbors house and play GTA3 all the time.

I saw Jurassic Park 3D last weekend and I giggled like a little girl the entire time. It was excellent. Anybody else see it yet?

Has anyone read Ender's Game? Freaking love that book.

Hahahahaha epic... and apparently 100% improvised.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5BBhNkywMJY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just saw it...fantastic!

Patton is a champion of nerdom:

[ame]

[/ame]

Also, in United States of Tara in a scene, he's reading Planetary(badass comic) to his kid as a lullaby.

Edited by piratey

• 2 weeks later...

Just throwing this out there, but for those who don't know, last year DC Comics rebooted their entire "universe" They essentially hit a partial reset switch on everything that's happen, so things like Barbara Gordon(Bat-Girl) having her spine broken by the joker and being confined to a wheelchair, didn't happen, ect. It was a good jumping in point for comic readers who didn't want to deal with 60 years of canon...

Anyway, so the highlight of this reboot is the FANTASTIC work that is being done on Detective Comics and Batman. Issue 1 of new 52 Detective Comics has the Joker willingly having his face cut off:

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/batmandetective1d-jokers-face-worst-page-ever.jpg

http://www.geekologie.com/2013/02/05/joker-face-cut-off.gif

Only to eventually retrieve it and put it back on...

http://www.thehiddenblade.com/sites/default/files/pictures/picture-528-1362009202.png

Edited by piratey

• 2 weeks later...