Pat Connaughton

I hate to say it Okie, but The Con is just not on. He's not showing me any improvement at all on offense. I actually think he's regressing....I have to wonder if he's just ready for baseball season? For the most part, he's playing good, fundamentally strong defense, but he's not driving the ball at all, and not shooting the 3 well either. He needs to get focused, and find his game here soon!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it Okie, but The Con is just not on. He's not showing me any improvement at all on offense. I actually think he's regressing....I have to wonder if he's just ready for baseball season? For the most part, he's playing good, fundamentally strong defense, but he's not driving the ball at all, and not shooting the 3 well either. He needs to get focused, and find his game here soon!

So sadly I have to agree. I thought this kid had the potential to be a big time scorer. He's just not aggressive and isn't looking for his shot. If he had developed I think we could have had 3 or 4 more wins.

I think Brey should bench him. I dont necessarily mean that he shouldnt play in games at all. But I do think Cameron Biedscheid is a much better offensive player and gives us a little more height and length. Connaughton could potentially be a big spark off the bench too.

I think PC has a complete game but has not been dominant in any area particularly.

He is more team playing glue guy I think than POY type.

His biggest athletic assets are his freakish wing span and leaping ability on top of his 6'5" frame.

I think he will be a starter the next two years and his best days are in front of him. I would just like to see him score more consistently. My belief is that he should focus on scoring more inside in the beginning of a game and then move his shot outside as the game goes on. I think some players are just more effective after some bumps. Jarious Jackson comes to mind in football. Until he ran the ball in a game and had contact, he was erratic passing.

I think PC has a complete game but has not been dominant in any area particularly.

He is more team playing glue guy I think than POY type.

His biggest athletic assets are his freakish wing span and leaping ability on top of his 6'5" frame.

I think he will be a starter the next two years and his best days are in front of him. I would just like to see him score more consistently. My belief is that he should focus on scoring more inside in the beginning of a game and then move his shot outside as the game goes on. I think some players are just more effective after some bumps. Jarious Jackson comes to mind in football. Until he ran the ball in a game and had contact, he was erratic passing.

The game last night is why this thread was started. This is what PC is capable of. Maybe he will continue this kind of play during the tournaments. He was 6 of 8 from three and had 21 points. He had a couple of impressive drives. If he had been more consistent we would have had a much higher seed. Well, it's not too late. Let's beat Marquette tonight and get excited once more.

He only had one 2 point basket not sure if he can shoot another 3-6 3's tonight but if not Cooley better wake the f%$# up

PC has a very nice stroke but his 3 point shooting has been inconsistent. He has scored big time in a few games when others have not but it has not been consistent. The beauty of PC is that he is valuable even when he does not score.

Cooley's has been in a funk since his illness before the Marquette game. WE sure could use the ole Cooley double double for tonight's game. I am not sure what the issue is right now with him. People are suggesting that he is just playing tired.

If Knight continues to get so many good looks I don't think it will matter much about Cooley. Connaughton may be able to keep it going. I know he has been so inconsistent, but playing in the same building, at the same time against a team he has gone off on before, it could happen. I think it was Marquette that he hit 6 threes last year.

If Knight continues to get so many good looks I don't think it will matter much about Cooley. Connaughton may be able to keep it going. I know he has been so inconsistent, but playing in the same building, at the same time against a team he has gone off on before, it could happen. I think it was Marquette that he hit 6 threes last year.

Good call Oklahoma!!! Now do you guys see why I get so excited about Connaughton. Coach needs to tell him to keep shooting and take it to the hole where good things happen. He has a 40 inch vertical and a huge arm span. Do it again against Louisville and we're in the championship game. The more games we play the better we get. Remember Knight, Sherman and Auguste are in the early developmental stages. Improvement is evident.

Pat made the All Tournament team for his play in the Big East tournament. In three games he averaged 16 points and 4.3 rebounds. This is exactly what I have expected. it is starting to look like he will be more and more consistent. He could average 15 a game next year and 5 rebounds. With Grant, Atkins, Knight, Auguste and Sherman returning we could take a big step up.

Pat made the All Tournament team for his play in the Big East tournament. In three games he averaged 16 points and 4.3 rebounds. This is exactly what I have expected. it is starting to look like he will be more and more consistent. He could average 15 a game next year and 5 rebounds. With Grant, Atkins, Knight, Auguste and Sherman returning we could take a big step up.

Is he going to play the 4? I hope not because I want Knight, Auguste, Sherman and Katenda to do that. I want us to play big.

Is he going to play the 3? I hope so but CB is going to get minutes as soon as he increases his strength. He mentioned earlier that the length of the college season has gotten to him. His play shows it.

Then there is Burgett. He very well might be our best 3 point shooter. He came in from HS with about a 45% 3 point shooting percentage. Brey has compared him to Abro. He is expected to be 6'9" or more when he stops growing.

Then there is Beacham. Big log jam at the 3.

I like the competition.

Never thought about it but maybe Pat wasn't as aggressive late in the season because he was to worried about baseball and getting injured? He already is going to play Monday or Tuesday which is crazy fast considering it took him weeks after the season last year. Really if he has a great season this year I think he quits basketball and focuses on baseball.

That's a crazy turnaround. The kid has a lot on his plate that is for sure. Good for him for dedicating himself to being a true student athlete. It's hard to tell what he will do. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

• Join Domer Domain

Members receive fewer ads and can participate in the forums.

• Topics

• The players are getting paid because there is a market that wants to see success on the field.  Because that market watches, advertisers pay a lot of money to be seen while that market watches.  In return, that advertising money comes back to the school in the form of millions of dollars in various ways.  Paying for better players means even more value for advertisers and more money for Notre Dame to build buildings or fund programs. The average student who goes to Notre Dame doesn’t generate millions of dollars for the school.  If they decide not to go there, someone else will fill the spot so they can have access to the excellent education funded by the football program and its players.  I don’t see why the university would pay students to come (except for the absolute brightest) when supply and demand is in Notre Dame’s favor in a big way.  The alums are part of the market that wants results on the field so their money goes towards those results which in turn increases value for Notre Dame, too.  Paying kids to come doesn’t have much benefit to those alums either… I get what’s being said about working hard to pay for your kid to go to college, but there are just too many folks in the same boat while a big source of revenue for schools is football…the value of the school increases if football thrives.  It’s simple business, unfortunately, and ordinary students are the consumer.  Nobody pays consumers if they want to stay in business.
    • OK, fine, I'm getting excited.   We've been winning a lot of these. My take:  Golden commit forces Zackery hand?  Takes the last ND DB spot? It's nothing but expeditious!  Was always the answer.  No other reason to move up his commitment.   I expect he will commit to his dream school for a shot at the Natty!  The synergy is real here.  It's the staff, too, but it's bigger.  Like minded kids.  And they're all conspiring to come together for the title shot, and this staff has them convinced it's in South Bend!  
    • Slight nit, take the government out of guaranteed student loans.  Single handedly has been the biggest cause of soaring tuition and crushing debt for borrowers. Otherwise I'm in between as far as NIL.  It's chaos currently and we are still in Flux with the changes that have happened and stuff that's still to come.  We are far from settled in this shifting landscape of college athletics.
    • Can't wait to see someone try and block a punt and end up with internal hemorrhaging...