Pat Connaughton

Last year Pat C. showed the ability to take over a game. He can hit 6 or 7 treys easily when he gets hot. The problem was consistency. I was thinking this year he just might, just maybe, become a lot more consistent. But he is also starting to show the ability to take it to the hole with authority. He is 6' 5'' and can jump out of the gym. His arms are extraordinarily long. Basically, he is getting much better and has the ability to be a prolific scorer.

He can rebound very well for his size. He can block shots because he is a quick and stout leaper with the long arms. Basically, this kid can develop into a go to dynamite game changer. If he can get that 3 point shot up to about 42-44 per cent, look out.

Only now, if the shot isn't falling, take it to the hole. Imagine a game where he is doing both with authority. He could score 30 plus easily. Right now he is not counted on to be that guy, but the potential is there. Just watch his scoring average increase. Not yet in double digits, but should be soon. This can be one great basketball team if these guys just develop.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One reason Notre Dame is a much better basketball team this year is Pat Connaughton. Last year he had a total of 34 assists. This year he already has 42. This kid is capable of going off for 6 or 7 threes in a game but really plays within the system now. Everyone returned from last year and everyone is playing better. Cooley is starting to hit his free throws at a 90% clip over the last 20 shots. Martin has peaked and can take a game over. Atkins is poetry in motion in finding the open man and taking care of the ball. He can score when needed. Grant is a star. He could score 25 a night if we didn't have so much balance. Seriously, tune it.

• 2 weeks later...

When Connaughton plays well we always win. He disappeared against Connecticut and St. Johns. This guy is so important to getting on a roll. He was inconsistent last year and is a better player this year. He is not there yet. He needs to take it to the hole more. Last night is typical of what he is capable of. I think he had 17 points, 5 rebounds and guards the top player on opposing teams. He is deceptionally athletic. Knight really helped last night. Sherman is a no show, again.

• 3 weeks later...

I started this post to monitor Pat Connaughton. I thought he could become a formidable consistent star for the Irish. Last year he exploded a few times hitting treys. I thought this year he could become the glue of this team as he learned to take it to the hole, play defense and rebound. I am somewhat disappointed with his progress, but the victory over Louisville shows what he is capable of. Despite rolling his ankle he returned to the lineup and ended with 16 points, 12 rebounds and 7 assists. The ankle limited his rebounding in the second half. He was the one that hit the pressurized free throws down the stretch. He is becoming what I anticipated, just not as quickly as I wanted.

Next year's team is going to be very athletic with Connaughton, Beidschied and Auguste. I was worried about losing Cooley and Knight, but I now feel better about Auguste and Sherman. Connaughton can be a very special player. Remember he is only a soph.

I agree... He CAN be good, but he has a long way to go. His spot shooting has been a little off. I would also like to see him develop a pump fake more and drive it in the lane. He's got the athelticism to do it.

He definitely showed his mental toughness Saturday night.

I started this post to monitor Pat Connaughton. I thought he could become a formidable consistent star for the Irish. Last year he exploded a few times hitting treys. I thought this year he could become the glue of this team as he learned to take it to the hole, play defense and rebound. I am somewhat disappointed with his progress, but the victory over Louisville shows what he is capable of. Despite rolling his ankle he returned to the lineup and ended with 16 points, 12 rebounds and 7 assists. The ankle limited his rebounding in the second half. He was the one that hit the pressurized free throws down the stretch. He is becoming what I anticipated, just not as quickly as I wanted.

Next year's team is going to be very athletic with Connaughton, Beidschied and Auguste. I was worried about losing Cooley and Knight, but I now feel better about Auguste and Sherman. Connaughton can be a very special player. Remember he is only a soph.

Knight will be a 5th year senior during the 13-14 season (if Brey wants him). PC is tough and a little inconsistent (like the rest of the team). I think he has the tools to be an 18 pts 8 rbs can of guy by his senior year.

Knight will be a 5th year senior during the 13-14 season (if Brey wants him). PC is tough and a little inconsistent (like the rest of the team). I think he has the tools to be an 18 pts 8 rbs can of guy by his senior year.

I would certainly keep Knight, but I thought he was gone.

Did you see that 3 point shot by Connaughton that helped us get to overtime???? We would not have won this game without him stepping up. He should be full bore in time for Providence. Just watched #20 Wisconsin go down. We win against Providence and we jump in the polls. :rapture:Get it???

Pat only had 2 going into OT but it wasn't all him why we won also he has a bad ankle so that didn't help either but Okie you have a big man crush on him

Not really. Just think the potential is there for a consistent star and I'm actually a bit disappointed with him. Kid could get 20 a night if he were more aggressive. When a player can hit the three and take it to the rim he can be special. Pat has a big vertical leap, long arms and the potential to be a real all around player. Score, rebound, dish.....

I agree 100% with BKTM here. I think that about a lot of ND players though. They get too comfortable sitting out there hoping that ball movement is going to get them an open three. Driving more is going to create more open looks all around.

He's already almost done with half his basketball career, by now he should be a consistent performer. Maybe baseball is his better sport if he's a top round pick. Also, if he can't score with Jackson as a guard next year then I'm not sure he ever will.

He's still a puppy. He's a sophomore and has shown he can gooff on you and take over a game. He's hit 6 or 7 threes in a single game. He is learning to drive. He's won games for us that we were certain to lose. Not getting down on Pat at all. Brey said his back to back threes were what gave the team confidence they could come back.

Nobody was scoring. Pat got us going. The future looks pretty good. He is by far our youngest starter. Look how Cooley got better every year.

• Join Domer Domain

Members receive fewer ads and can participate in the forums.

• Topics

• The players are getting paid because there is a market that wants to see success on the field.  Because that market watches, advertisers pay a lot of money to be seen while that market watches.  In return, that advertising money comes back to the school in the form of millions of dollars in various ways.  Paying for better players means even more value for advertisers and more money for Notre Dame to build buildings or fund programs. The average student who goes to Notre Dame doesn’t generate millions of dollars for the school.  If they decide not to go there, someone else will fill the spot so they can have access to the excellent education funded by the football program and its players.  I don’t see why the university would pay students to come (except for the absolute brightest) when supply and demand is in Notre Dame’s favor in a big way.  The alums are part of the market that wants results on the field so their money goes towards those results which in turn increases value for Notre Dame, too.  Paying kids to come doesn’t have much benefit to those alums either… I get what’s being said about working hard to pay for your kid to go to college, but there are just too many folks in the same boat while a big source of revenue for schools is football…the value of the school increases if football thrives.  It’s simple business, unfortunately, and ordinary students are the consumer.  Nobody pays consumers if they want to stay in business.
    • OK, fine, I'm getting excited.   We've been winning a lot of these. My take:  Golden commit forces Zackery hand?  Takes the last ND DB spot? It's nothing but expeditious!  Was always the answer.  No other reason to move up his commitment.   I expect he will commit to his dream school for a shot at the Natty!  The synergy is real here.  It's the staff, too, but it's bigger.  Like minded kids.  And they're all conspiring to come together for the title shot, and this staff has them convinced it's in South Bend!  
    • Slight nit, take the government out of guaranteed student loans.  Single handedly has been the biggest cause of soaring tuition and crushing debt for borrowers. Otherwise I'm in between as far as NIL.  It's chaos currently and we are still in Flux with the changes that have happened and stuff that's still to come.  We are far from settled in this shifting landscape of college athletics.
    • Can't wait to see someone try and block a punt and end up with internal hemorrhaging...