Anyone cook with a smoker?

well if you want i could give you advice on how to make your own. You will never want to smoke on anything else again. See that black smoker next to the ND one? Never ever gets used. I beat professional BBQers and caters with that lil guy. They all laughed at me when i showed up with my ND barrel and a Rasta barrel i made for my buddy. I got the last laugh though.

where the hell do you buy a clean drum?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need to get ahold of a food grade barrel. Make sure it is food grade. I was lucky enough to find a guy who has a boat load of them for sale. He sold me refurbished barrels for 8 bucks a barrel. New ones are expensive. Try and find one on craigslist or ebay. If you need me to send you one of mine i will. But i would try and find one yourself. I would go by some restaurants and see if they have some that they want to get rid of. Once you find a barrel I will walk you through the process it will take you about 2-4 hrs to build one. Minus the paint of course.

Turned out great Echo, thanks. Didn't get too crusty, most of mustard combo seemed to just slough off once I started cooking. I could only find honey mustard in a pinch, so maybe it was a bit thin, who knows. But it came out super moist, fell right apart. Didn't even use sauce like I usually would.

Let's hope it is still as good after eating it four days straight, it was a 10 pound shoulder, I have a ton left over!

Turned out great Echo, thanks. Didn't get too crusty, most of mustard combo seemed to just slough off once I started cooking. I could only find honey mustard in a pinch, so maybe it was a bit thin, who knows. But it came out super moist, fell right apart. Didn't even use sauce like I usually would.

Let's hope it is still as good after eating it four days straight, it was a 10 pound shoulder, I have a ton left over!

You definitely wouldn't get any crust in an oven, but Im glad it turned out well. Ive never used the mustard recipe in anything but a smoker. I think the mustard is used for flavor, but more importantly as a means of getting the rub to stick to the meat better...

BBQ is a classic one up topic.. Everybody thinks they are the best.. That said my chicken will clown you guys.. oh ribs too.. :bolt:

The Drum Idea is great, those make the best BBQ's IMO there is a local guy in Portland that makes them and my Cousin has had his for years. He taught me everything I know.

I have many options I want to share how you guys are doing it wrong but then I would be going against my first sentence.

well if you want i could give you advice on how to make your own. You will never want to smoke on anything else again. See that black smoker next to the ND one? Never ever gets used. I beat professional BBQers and caters with that lil guy. They all laughed at me when i showed up with my ND barrel and a Rasta barrel i made for my buddy. I got the last laugh though.

So what goes into making one of these? What are the two valves on the bottom?

Those are just 3/4 inch nipples and caps on two of them. The third one is a 3/4 ball valve. that is one of the most expensive parts the ball valve if you want brass is 12 bucks. You can make one for 50 dollars in parts. Let me know if you want a parts list.

Those are just 3/4 inch nipples and caps on two of them. The third one is a 3/4 ball valve. that is one of the most expensive parts the ball valve if you want brass is 12 bucks. You can make one for 50 dollars in parts. Let me know if you want a parts list.

I do! Found a brand new barrel for $25...

Forever,

What does the inside look like ?

Forever,

What does the inside look like ?

http://i50.tinypic.com/qqsjn7.jpg

It might be hard to tell but, it is a weber 22" grill, then I made a basket for the charcoal out of expanded metal, then I use a regular oil pan to catch the ashes from the basket. Really simple but it works more efficient than any other smoker I have ever used.

3- 2" Carriage bolts to hold the grill in place

1 Oil pan to catch the ashes.

4- castors for easy moving

3- 3/4" nipples

2- 3/4" caps

1- 3/4" Ball valve "plastic or brass, I like brass"

1- Cabinet handle for the handle on top.

4- 3" carriage bolts with nuts. to drill into the oil pan to off the ground

Then you will need to buy some expanded metal to make your basket. Or used an old farming disc. I made the circumfrence 18" inches on mine and loved it. You can weld that together if you know how or just wire tie the bottom of the basket to the sides of the basket. I would by a Uni bit. Drilling through the barrel is a bitch without one.

That should get you started I will walk you through the process when you are ready. I have measurements that i will give you. Let me know.