Anyone cook with a smoker?

I didn't see this addressed yet so I figured I would chime in. When you use a smoker make sure you get your coals good and hot and then add a DRY seasoned piece of wood. The goal in doing this is to get a BLUE smoke, not a white smoke. White smoke will make your meat taste only like smoke while a blue smoke you will get a smoke ring on the outside of the meat but you still have the flavor of the meat with the smokiness. VERY IMPORTANT TO GET BLUE SMOKE. A blue smoke is basically invisible while a white smoke you will be able to see billowing out of the smoker. I can't count how many times that I see someone smoking meat and they are putting way too much wood on the coals creating billows of white smoke thinking that is good when in fact is the exact opposite of what you want.

Obie, I agree with you on the smoke. I start my fire and let it get up to temp for about 20 min before I ever put any meat on. I then add what I would call "blocks" of hickory or apple wood and let em go until they are almost gone before adding another. I will occassionally use some "chips" that are soaked in water to either cool the fire or add a little extra smoke to a larger, thicker cut of meat.

Also, I tend to continue with the wood all the way through when I am smoking but i have heard that the meat will only take smoke until it reaches a certain temperature. I have always had great smoky meat flavor so I don't intend to change what I do, just wondering if any of you knew the answer to that?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget, you can smoke vegetables too - my personal favorites are corn on the cob and stuffed/bacon wrapped jalapeno peppers (ask DJ, there incredible)

How about dinosaur eggs? Fat, hollowed out jalapenos stuffed with mozzarella cheese. Coat the entire pepper with deer sausage so it looks like a big egg. Smoke away. Mmmmm...

Obie, I agree with you on the smoke. I start my fire and let it get up to temp for about 20 min before I ever put any meat on. I then add what I would call "blocks" of hickory or apple wood and let em go until they are almost gone before adding another. I will occassionally use some "chips" that are soaked in water to either cool the fire or add a little extra smoke to a larger, thicker cut of meat.

Also, I tend to continue with the wood all the way through when I am smoking but i have heard that the meat will only take smoke until it reaches a certain temperature. I have always had great smoky meat flavor so I don't intend to change what I do, just wondering if any of you knew the answer to that?

For some reason, a lot of smoking websites recommend soaking wood chips for 30 mins. I soak em for at least 6 hours to avoid the potential of catching fire and raising the temp....

Also, I have never used charcoal. My smoker consists of 2 trays of wood chips directly above linear burners. Above the chips is a large water basin to maintain moisture.

Here are a few pics of my handiwork. That brisket on the bottom was about 14 lbs. It took almost 16 hours to cook.

[ATTACH]289[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]290[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]291[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]292[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]293[/ATTACH]

When you smoke pork (loin or shoulder), try rubbing the entire thing in a heavy layer of brown sugar mustard and wrapping with saran wrap to sit in the fridge overnight. The next day, add the dry rub, let it get to room temp, and then smoke it. It creates an insanely crispy crust. You probably already knew about this gem, but if not---give it a shot!

For some reason, a lot of smoking websites recommend soaking wood chips for 30 mins. I soak em for at least 6 hours to avoid the potential of catching fire and raising the temp....

Also, I have never used charcoal. My smoker consists of 2 trays of wood chips directly above linear burners. Above the chips is a large water basin to maintain moisture.

My smoker, the old Brinkmann, is completely wood and charcoal. I love to use it for ribs and shorter projects. I set up my ez-up, run cable tv outside to watch football, stock a cooler and sit by the smoker to keep an eye on things. I use hardwood lump charcoal. I usually use Cowboy charcoal or Royal Oak hardwood lump charcoal. I buy my wood chips from a local apple orchard or a couple local hardware type stores that sell smoking supplies. I do soak the smaller chips for temp control and it can be tedious at times, but I feel like it is a truer form of smoking than setting the temp on a gas or electric smoker and coming back to it in however many hours it takes to complete your project.

Now brisket on the other hand, I do that in my Bradley and let it do it's thing overnight while I get a little shut eye.

When you smoke pork (loin or shoulder), try rubbing the entire thing in a heavy layer of brown sugar mustard and wrapping with saran wrap to sit in the fridge overnight. The next day, add the dry rub, let it get to room temp, and then smoke it. It creates an insanely crispy crust. You probably already knew about this gem, but if not---give it a shot!

Echo, would that work even if I was just going to cook it slow in the oven for 10 hours? I'm doing a 10 pound shoulder tomorrow that I would like to try this on, I don't usually get too crazy.

What goes into the mustard rub? Obviously brown sugar and mustard, but what variety of mustard and in what ratio?

Echo, would that work even if I was just going to cook it slow in the oven for 10 hours? I'm doing a 10 pound shoulder tomorrow that I would like to try this on, I don't usually get too crazy.

What goes into the mustard rub? Obviously brown sugar and mustard, but what variety of mustard and in what ratio?

Actually, the mustard can be bought as is. French's makes a brown sugar spicy mustard that works out well. If not, yellow mustard is fine too. Expect to use almost the entire bottle for a 10 lb. shoulder. You want it to be a generous layer.

As for the oven, you're not going to get the crispy crust or taste that you'd get with smoke, but I don't see why you can't cook it that way. Just make sure you put an oven-safe container that can hold 6-8 cups of water (I use a glass casserole dish) on the rack directly beneath your pork. It will keep the moisture level high and stop it from drying out, especially with a long cook time like that. I'd keep the temp around 215-220 in the oven throughout the cooking time. The shoulder should be done when the internal temp is 180 degrees. I always ignore what websites tell you about temp---for shoulders 180 is perfect IMO...

For the rub, try this:

1 tbsp paprika

2 tbsp all-seasoning

1/2 tbsp coriander seed (ground up)

1/2 tbsp fennel seed (ground up)

1 tbsp cumin

1 tsp whole peppercorns (ground up)

1 pinch of cayenne pepper

It's a simple rub but it's pretty easy....if you have them, wear disposable (surgical) gloves when applying the rub to the pork so it doesnt stick to your hands as you rub it in...

Good luck and let me know how it turns out...

Actually, the mustard can be bought as is. French's makes a brown sugar spicy mustard that works out well. If not, yellow mustard is fine too. Expect to use almost the entire bottle for a 10 lb. shoulder. You want it to be a generous layer.

As for the oven, you're not going to get the crispy crust or taste that you'd get with smoke, but I don't see why you can't cook it that way. Just make sure you put an oven-safe container that can hold 6-8 cups of water (I use a glass casserole dish) on the rack directly beneath your pork. It will keep the moisture level high and stop it from drying out, especially with a long cook time like that. I'd keep the temp around 215-220 in the oven throughout the cooking time. The shoulder should be done when the internal temp is 180 degrees. I always ignore what websites tell you about temp---for shoulders 180 is perfect IMO...

For the rub, try this:

1 tbsp paprika

2 tbsp all-seasoning

1/2 tbsp coriander seed (ground up)

1/2 tbsp fennel seed (ground up)

1 tbsp cumin

1 tsp whole peppercorns (ground up)

1 pinch of cayenne pepper

It's a simple rub but it's pretty easy....if you have them, wear disposable (surgical) gloves when applying the rub to the pork so it doesnt stick to your hands as you rub it in...

Good luck and let me know how it turns out...

I'll try that. I usually cook it at 225 until I get a 200 internal temp, I'm just guessing 10 hours for this one, I don't know for sure. I usually make pulled pork out of it and have found I get a much better "pull" that way than I do when I cook to 180-185, though I usually stop at 175 if I am slicing it, so maybe that is the difference. What do you usually do with it once it is done, slice or pull?

I'll try that. I usually cook it at 225 until I get a 200 internal temp, I'm just guessing 10 hours for this one, I don't know for sure. I usually make pulled pork out of it and have found I get a much better "pull" that way than I do when I cook to 180-185, though I usually stop at 175 if I am slicing it, so maybe that is the difference. What do you usually do with it once it is done, slice or pull?

Yeah, it's really all about personal preference. I like 180 because it shreds easily and it's very moist. I usually take a set of tongs to hold the shoulder in place while I rake it with an oversized fork. Tough on the forearms but it's my preferred style.....

Yeah, it's really all about personal preference. I like 180 because it shreds easily and it's very moist. I usually take a set of tongs to hold the shoulder in place while I rake it with an oversized fork. Tough on the forearms but it's my preferred style.....

Do you make your own BBQ sauce? I've tried but never gotten it right. I like that tang of a vinegar based sauce, but always seem to get too much. What do you use?

Do you make your own BBQ sauce? I've tried but never gotten it right. I like that tang of a vinegar based sauce, but always seem to get too much. What do you use?

I never use it unless Im dealing with a crowd who wants it. In that case, I just buy the Jack Daniels Brown Sugar sauce. The most I ever use personally is the leftover mop sauce...

I never use it unless Im dealing with a crowd who wants it. In that case, I just buy the Jack Daniels Brown Sugar sauce. The most I ever use personally is the leftover mop sauce...

Ahh, so you rely on the flavor of your cooking. I'm a cheater, I cook it until it overdone and slather it in store bought sauce.

Someday I'll master the fine art of BBQ, maybe that day will start tomorrow, we'll see. Thanks!

Ahh, so you rely on the flavor of your cooking. I'm a cheater, I cook it until it overdone and slather it in store bought sauce.

Someday I'll master the fine art of BBQ, maybe that day will start tomorrow, we'll see. Thanks!

I can only really rely on taste alone when I am using a smoker. I love the taste of the different flavors of wood chips.

When I don't have time to use the smoker, I use a badass crockpot recipe for pulled pork. You put a 4-5 pound pork loin in a crockpot, then use an automatic chopper (or finely dicing by hand) to grind up 5-6 large cloves of garlic and half of a white onion. Slather the mix over the top of the loin and add a few shakes of hot sauce and a liberal sprinkling of all seasoning. Finally add one bottle of jack Daniels brown sugar BBQ sauce and let it cook on high for 4 hours. When it's done, it will literally fall apart if you graze a fork over it. Shred the meat, put it back in the crackpot, and add one more bottle of the BBQ sauce. Frigging amazing.

http://i45.tinypic.com/oqki9i.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/30uvehy.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2zdve2u.jpg

She is a lil beat up but she never lets me down. I make smokers so if anyone wants one let me know. Yours will look brand freakin new, you wont even want to cook on it. We can put the ND sign on it if you want.

Edited by foreverirish34

well if you want i could give you advice on how to make your own. You will never want to smoke on anything else again. See that black smoker next to the ND one? Never ever gets used. I beat professional BBQers and caters with that lil guy. They all laughed at me when i showed up with my ND barrel and a Rasta barrel i made for my buddy. I got the last laugh though.

Foreverirish knows how to smoke for sure. He made me a SF Giants smoker with custom stenciled on painted World Series Champions (typing that never gets old) logo. The ugly drum smokers are the only way to go. Easy to smoke in, efficient on the charcoal and wood, and easily transported. Foreverirish taught me what I know so I have to give the credit to him, I have smoked a cranberry brine turkey in my ugly drum, baby back ribs, tri tip roasts etc. All have turned out great. Smoking-meat.com is a good place to start, but I would not buy any recipes. There are a ton of recipes available online or via word of mouth.

photo-1.thumb.jpg.7ffe4f176143959d8411ec579870d2d1.jpg

photo-3.JPG.98f89e0e6a84ca366b3df34127409117.JPG