Anyone cook with a smoker?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain "bullet-style" smoker. You use charcoal to heat wood blocks/chips. It maintains temps very well and I've had pork butts on it from 8-14 hours, depending on size and quantity. I've always wanted a Big Green Egg, but I'm good for now. Best of luck, "practicing" smoking is so much fun!

whats funny??

Maybe I miss read the link but it looks like the link was for a electric BBQ???

If so that is funny to me. If you were serious It would be like me starting a thread about wood stove fireplace's and then someone recommends a electric fireplace.

Maybe I miss read the link but it looks like the link was for a electric BBQ???

If so that is funny to me. If you were serious It would be like me starting a thread about wood stove fireplace's and then someone recommends a electric fireplace.

^ not really. that particular smoker has an electric element that heats the wood which makes the smoke. u are stilling using wood to make the smoke. it allows for less babysitting.

Sounds good to me !! I thought it was a all electric grill :(

I had many responses ready like why not use a OVEN??

I take it back tenacious...

Looks like a solid BBQ. I have been using my basic weber for years for Chicken and Ribs and have gas ready for steak and quick hot dogs etc.

Not to brag but If anybody needs an award winning chicken thigh recipe i am not shy to share..

Every year my street has a BBQ contest (about 20 BBQ's enter) I won a couple years ago with $15.00 worth of thighs :first:

not to brag but i just did..

Rocket, I BBQ in competitions. I got first place in ribs in my last comp. I make smokers and I just happen to have a ND smoker for my self. Don't buy a big green egg. There great but way too expensive. PM me and I will send you some photos of the ND smoker. I made a poster on here one when the giants won the world series. I did a pork butt on it last weekend. So good it makes you want to cry.

I have a Bradley smoker, we use it almost every weekend during football season. Ribs, brisket, pork butt, chicken....you name it, we have smoked it. I love my Bradley.

I used to have an older Brinkmann with the side fire box when I first started and it got me hooked. The only problem was that I had to tend to it pretty often to keep even temps. I also had to make some modifications to it, most of the cheaper smokers don't cook evenly. Invest some money or have one custom built. You generally get what you pay for with the cheap smokers.

If you want to try a great recipe, Google "The Bacon Explosion". I have done about 10 of these now and have perfected my recipe to my taste.

here is the link

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

I've never seen the Big Green Egg but by the looks of it I see one big problem...lack of grilling area. Two of my friends have the taller stacked smokers like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16550183?adid=22222222227009130250&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=13223659030&wl4=&wl5=pla

One is charcoal and the other is propane. I highly recommend the propane version because charcoal is so hard to keep the temp consistent. Some people are old school and like to watch over the grill for 8-14 hours. I'm more the propane kinda guy. With both you use wood chips to get the smoky flavor. Plus in the pics above you get tons of rack space so you can grill ribs, chicken, pork all at once for a big party. Really came in handy for ribs for a bbq my brother had last summer. Ribs tasted great too!