BOT Meeting w/ Kelly

One thing I can't understand is that ndnation gets pub.

I get the Notre Dame Alumni magazine and ndnation is listed in the Winter edition as a popular site that ND fans flock to. Why in the heck would the ND Alumni magazine highlight that overcritical, narcissistic, borderline ND hater website in their magazine? I just don't get it. Sometimes I wonder who edits that thing....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From most of what I see it's pretty positive. Now what is the difference between this site and Irish Envy? I don't go there anymore since they've split, but are they ran by the same person/people? What's the deal?

I check out IE occasionally and it's not to bad. some are pretty critical but it seems like they don't care for Nation at all either. I dont do pay sites so the 2 I check most are IE and here. The info is pretty quick and ususally spot on or close. The main reason I left Nation is stuff i read here does not show up there until a day later. ( after tea and crumpets).

I check out IE occasionally and it's not to bad. some are pretty critical but it seems like they don't care for Nation at all either. I dont do pay sites so the 2 I check most are IE and here. The info is pretty quick and ususally spot on or close. The main reason I left Nation is stuff i read here does not show up there until a day later. ( after tea and crumpets).

I tried ND nation once. It was shortly after Weis was hired. When I opened my mouth and said I would have to wait and see since Weis never had a HC job before I got brow beaten, dragged out to the cornfield and left for dead. I was banned after that and never went back.

Two guesses:

1. Kelly wants some changes and has been fairly outspoke about them. BOT wants to get his pitch for these changes (field surface, TRON!!!!, etc.) and give them their feedback on what is plausible moving forward.

2. Board wants Kelly to tune down the sideline behavior as it has been somewhat bad publicity for the University.

I agree with you on option 1. And I think it is time for ND to catch up with the rest of the nation. I would love to see a big tron in the staduim but don't really care for the fake grass I like the muddy slippery games it's football imo.

I can't believe that they get mad about the way he acts on the sidelines. IMHO I love it!! It shows how much passion he has and how much he wants to win. BK is demanding the best from his players and when they get better he wants more from them. I like they way he coaches and I think his resume proves that he knows what he is doing. He acted like this everywhere he has been just hasn't had a camera in his face at the other schools! GO IRISH

Two guesses:

1. Kelly wants some changes and has been fairly outspoke about them. BOT wants to get his pitch for these changes (field surface, TRON!!!!, etc.) and give them their feedback on what is plausible moving forward.

2. Board wants Kelly to tune down the sideline behavior as it has been somewhat bad publicity for the University.

Two guesses, if I had to put my life on it, I'd guess it was option 1. That being said, it was probably just a state of the union (topical!) meeting which would be unsatisfying and somewhat mundane.

I mostly agree with Pregame here. IF a meeting took place with Kelly, a sort of a State of the Program address, Kelly probably outlined the unique limitations he has in place at ND, despite the unique advantages, in an attempt to

1. Give himself some breathing room so that he's not prematurely put on the hot seat by an understandably impatient national fanbase who is in no position to suffer a 4th straight disspointment (which is not my expectation btw). To this point, I'm sure the BOT mentioned that their expectations for him are not to win an NC every 4 years, but to be very competitive in order to remain the coach at ND (9-3 each year or however else you want to quantify it). That doesn't mean Kelly's expectations are anything but NC's and it doesn't mean the administration won't do everything it can, short of lowering standards, to help him reach that goal.

2. Obtain any additional support he may want through the administration, BOT, alumni, etc. Whether that be investment in the stadium (Tron) or larger budget for recruiting, training table, masseuses, early entree requirements, gawdy alternative uniforms, etc. I don't begrudge him doing this. I think it's shrewd and CEO like.

Where I disagree with Pregame is that the powers that be in the administration or BOT or whatever, should not interfere with Kelly regarding his sideline persona. If anything, they should lean on NBC to refrain from constant highlight of his angry tirades. Lots of coaches do this, NBC isn't doing it's partner team any favors by harping on it. Unfortunately, we're not in a position of strength with NBC like we might have been 20 years ago.

Lastly, I like NDNation, but just not Rock's House. The Back Room there can be fantastic.

No...it was this one nut job who said that the admin was fine with 9-3 and in fact promoted it. Basically he was saying that nobody in position of power cares if we do well in football anymore. He tried to act like it was inside info... come to find out, it's this one nutty poster who hates Kelly.

My favorite part of this was the last line...I started laughing out loud really because I thought that description fit MOST of NDnations posters!:der:

Sadly I admit I do go to NDNation occasionally. Of course I think I check about five different ND boards for information and articles, the regularity depends on the time of year and "hot" topic of the day. This board however is the first I always check into for information and one of two that I even post on. Feel special everyone as I impart my wisdom onto you ;)!

Its interesting to view the various sites and to see or get a feel for the flow of the boards and their members. Each definitely take on a life separate from each other that's for sure. I remember years ago when I thought about trying to post on Nation and take part in the madness, I was instructed that I could not participate because I was a newbie and couldn't post on Rock's House with the rest of the "big boys". God that pissed me off and that type of crap really turned me off to their site. Sometimes they can have good information and some of their posters are pretty clued in...some of them lol. Mostly I like to go there to witness the total meltdowns and the boards getting nuked.

It's a terrible format, absolutely unreadable. A bunch of girls trying to be sports fans. They will actually delete ("nuke") the entire board if they go overboard with emotion. Imagine us deleting every post and thread here because one thread went bad. lol There's only ONE poster from there I wish came here and stayed, Omahadomer. The rest are sheeple and ass kissers. The Back Room can be interesting though, it's only saving grace.

It's a terrible format, absolutely unreadable. A bunch of girls trying to be sports fans. They will actually delete ("nuke") the entire board if they go overboard with emotion. Imagine us deleting every post and thread here because one thread went bad. lol There's only ONE poster from there I wish came here and stayed, Omahadomer. The rest are sheeple and ass kissers. The Back Room can be interesting though, it's only saving grace.

He would definitely be one of the few I would pick too Speedy. Wonder if if he's ever ventured into our neck of the woods or if anyone has ever invited him over?

BTW, I forgot to mention that board arrogance as being the penultimate ND fan board and how they constantly puff out their chest as the movers in the C4C(call for change) when it came to Ty's firing and the removal of Monk at the top. Talk about arrogance.

He would definitely be one of the few I would pick too Speedy. Wonder if if he's ever ventured into our neck of the woods or if anyone has ever invited him over?

BTW, I forgot to mention that board arrogance as being the penultimate ND fan board and how they constantly puff out their chest as the movers in the C4C(call for change) when it came to Ty's firing and the removal of Monk at the top. Talk about arrogance.

A blind squirrel finds a nut. They call for change the day after any coach gets hired. I hate them so very, very much. I mean, who stifles speech besides dictators? They're truly un-American over there.

Totally agree. Omahadomer is really the only poster over there worth reading. Also, Frank Leahy's son posts over there too and has some good things to say. Other than those two, the remaining posters are a bunch of self-indulgent jerks who would probably prefer to see ND lose a game just to prove that their claims about Kelly and the ND administration are accurate. It's a rather appalling group-think over there.

Totally agree. Omahadomer is really the only poster over there worth reading. Also, Frank Leahy's son posts over there too and has some good things to say. Other than those two, the remaining posters are a bunch of self-indulgent jerks who would probably prefer to see ND lose a game just to prove that their claims about Kelly and the ND administration are accurate. It's a rather appalling group-think over there.

Leahy! That's the other one I really like there.

FWIW, I posted this over at NDEZ and some of it ties into tchris555 post:

Small point here that I just had an epiphany on. In ND illustrious history of football has there ever been an "above average coach"? What I mean is this, we have had great coaches in Rockne, Leahy, Ara, Devine, and Holtz, all of whom won a NC or multiple during the tenures. We've also had abysmal coaches Ty, Faust, etc. We are a program of extremes, feast or famine. Coaches like Weis and even Davie showed signs of promise at one point or another, even Faust in his first year looked promising from those who remember(I was too young). However that promise quickly began to fade into mediocre .500 +/- a game records during the rest of their stay, often coupled with huge blow-out losses to opposing teams.

Now here we are after Kelly's second year. Two seasons above .500, but not just a win above, and debatable improvement in the program. Allegedly this 9-3 is good enough is floated to Kelly, and the mention of not expecting/stressing championships for FB anymore. Does that necessarily mean that the BOT or school no longer wish to have NC and football glory, I don't know. I certainly don't think that they would turn that type of success and publicity away from the school. Is it more of a statement that we don't expect it, realize it's a difficult job to do, and we aren't putting pressure on you expecting a NC or you're gone. Is it more of a statement that FB success at 9-3 will be tolerated and is more of the benchmark for consistency to not getting yourself fired ala Ty and Charlie?

Honestly hitting 9-3 consistently and as an average over say 7-10 years isn't a bad mark at all IMO. Without checking the exact facts, I'd say our recent successful coaches Ara, Devine, and Holtz probably averaged around that mark over their stay here. Over the course of say 5-7 years historically ND should be a serious contender for a NC at about 1-2 of those years and around a 1-3 loss team a couple of others, and allow for the "down year" or two at 10-3 or 9-4 type season with bowls.

I don't know if these conversations were ever spoken or not and at this point its all rumor and conjecture. Kelly is still only two years in and I really don't know how things will work out for him. History will ultimately be the judge of how good he was or wasn't and the direction of the program. If he gets us a NC or in the NC game within his 5 years, while averaging 9-3, I'll be happy and hope that he's retained. Broken down he would obviously have to only average about 1-2 losses over the next three years with one unbeaten team, which is a tall task facing him. If he maintains 8-5 he may or may not be retained, its not 9-3 nor is it 6-6. I just don't know if it'll keep him here, it probably won't in the fans eyes, but the school may decide differently after all the coaching changes in the past 15. Is a 9-3 five year average without humiliating multi game blowout losses to Tier 1 teams, no NC's or BCS's, with close losses also against "inferior" teams we are clearly more talented than, enough to retain ones job?