Position Battles

The right Tackle competition is the one I'll be watching.

The right tackle is typically your big guy for outside run blocking

In Rees' offense that looked like Tosh Baker. Rees would call a run 2 out of three plays and 1 of them would be behind right tackle. Way over 6'5 way over 300 lbs would be the norm. Blake Fisher was the incumbent. Weakness of the larger right tackle? Feet. Agility. Pass blocking

Enter Mike Denbrock.

Theory "Believe it or not more space helps the running game" Does that suggest Amil Wagner could win right tackle. In this 9 year old play now a young version of McGlinchey, Nelson etc  they kinda missed alot of people here and the QB scores easily. I'd be tempted to put Wagner in there given he has good feet.

Example

Faith needs to get out of 2015, I here it already. 

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

2 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

The right Tackle competition is the one I'll be watching.

The right tackle is typically your big guy for outside run blocking

In Rees' offense that looked like Tosh Baker. Rees would call a run 2 out of three plays and 1 of them would be behind right tackle. Way over 6'5 way over 300 lbs would be the norm. Blake Fisher was the incumbent. Weakness of the larger right tackle? Feet. Agility. Pass blocking

Enter Mike Denbrock.

Theory "Believe it or not more space helps the running game" Does that suggest Amil Wagner could win right tackle. In this 9 year old play now a young version of McGlinchey, Nelson etc  they kinda missed alot of people here and the QB scores easily. I'd be tempted to put Wagner in there given he has good feet.

Example

Faith needs to get out of 2015, I here it already. 

Good evaluation, Faith!

I would agree that RT will be an interesting position battle to watch. I think it will be for LG as well. I also want to see how MLB shakes out. Will it be Villiamu-Asa or Bowen? I’m thinking Vlilliamu-Asa, but we shall see. Same goes for Vyper. Will this be Botelho’s year, or will he be passed up by Tuihalamaka or Traore?

And don’t worry about bringing up 2015 again. It was a super fun season, and if a few plays would have went NDFBs way, they would have been in the CFP!

6 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Good evaluation, Faith!

I would agree that RT will be an interesting position battle to watch. I think it will be for LG as well. I also want to see how MLB shakes out. Will it be Villiamu-Asa or Bowen? I’m thinking Vlilliamu-Asa, but we shall see. Same goes for Vyper. Will this be Botelho’s year, or will he be passed up by Tuihalamaka or Traore?

And don’t worry about bringing up 2015 again. It was a super fun season, and if a few plays would have went NDFBs way, they would have been in the CFP!

I think thats split too.

on 1st and second down(stop the run, watch for playaction) Bowen and KVA would be fine.

Now depending how tricky(deep in the playbook) he wants to go on 3rd down I'm guessing it will be kizer and sneed in the 4-2-5 without a true MLB.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

I think thats split too.

on 1st and second down(stop the run, watch for playaction) Bowen and KVA would be fine.

Now depending how tricky(deep in the playbook) he wants to go on 3rd down I'm guessing it will be kizer and sneed in the 4-2-5 without a true MLB.

All good points, and I could see it that way too.

I think Bowen wins the MLB battle, but the entire LB group will be fun to watch. Everyone has talent and I will be curious to see how they rotate and play each of them. 

Bowen, Sneed, Kiser, Ausberry, and KVA will see a bunch of time; then you have Kia and Zinter as your "2nd tier guys" who would be starting in most other years at ND. Rezac and Kahoun are interesting prospects; while I do not think either of them will see time this year, I am optimistic about both being productive players before they leave.

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 1