What's the final verdict on today?

3 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Or a sign that Freeman had everyone locked up on the early signing day in December

That would appear to be correct, because these were the only two I saw sign today.

• Heart 1

It's a class that, barring transfers, will have a lot of long-term, big-time contributors, I think.  Some top-line performers, and many who will get plenty of playing time as good depth pieces.  The transfer portal always beckons, but I think this class helps fill some substantial holes.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1
  • Leprechaun 1

As others have said, ND wrapped up their class on the December ESD, which has become the de-facto NSD that has the typical drama (last-minute flips, elite recruit announcements, etc.). For example, for February NSD, there was only one player ranked in the Rivals Top 250 who announced. The timeline is just much different than it was 10 years ago because most of the elite recruits are graduating HS early and enrolling in college in January. Over the last few classes, well over half of ND's recruits have enrolled early.

As far as ND goes, I've written this in other threads, but this class moves the needle for me. ND finished with more Top 50 and more Top 100 recruits (regardless of which service-Rivals, 247, On3-you look at) since the 2013 class, which as most recall was the best BK class by far (the only one that finished ranked in the Top 5). While this class has loads of top-end talent that was atypical under BK, the bottom half of the class is not as good as usual, IMO, which is why the class is in the bottom half of the Top 10. There also weren't a ton of mid-range 4-stars in this class (i.e., ranked between 150-250), and I think ND reached for a few more guys than necessary.

Final Team Rankings

Rivals: #9

247: #9

On3: #11

Again, I think the 2024 class moves the needle. ND got a Top 5 QB (CJ Carr), two very good RBs (Aneyas Williams, Kedren Young), one potentially elite WR (Cam Williams) and two other very good WRs (Micah Gilbert, Logan Saldate), a future NFL OT (Guerby Lambert), a potential monster on DL (Bryce Young) and another guy who could be great with time to develop (Loghan Thomas), a Top 3 LB (KVA), and an athletic freak at S (Brauntae Johnson). Of the lower ranked guys, I really like Leonard Moore (CB), Peter Jones and Anthonie Knapp (OG, OC), and Teddy Rezac and Brodie Kahoun (two smaller LBs who will need time to develop but are very athletic).

• Heart 4