Updated: Riley Leonard May be Out for Winter Conditioning

Not sure why every ND beat writer is picking this up today, but Riley Leonard will miss winter conditioning after having surgery on his right ankle, which he injured in Duke's game against ND on September 30. He is not expected to miss Spring Practice.

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

Not sure why every ND beat writer is picking this up today, but Riley Leonard will miss winter conditioning after having surgery on his right ankle, which he injured in Duke's game against ND on September 30. He is not expected to miss Spring Practice.

I hadn't seen any reporting prior to today that he was undergoing surgery for this injury.  Granted I don't remember clarifying info about the exact nature of his injury either.  Like most, I presumed it was a bad strain/sprang which takes time to heal.

1 hour ago, jessemoore97 said:

I hadn't seen any reporting prior to today that he was undergoing surgery for this injury.  Granted I don't remember clarifying info about the exact nature of his injury either.  Like most, I presumed it was a bad strain/sprang which takes time to heal.

I hadn’t either, and but saw it earlier from an unreliable source. I thought it was fake until I saw what tneun posted from Hanson, and then this from Blue and Gold via Horka.

21 hours ago, tneun89 said:

Good news is we'd rather it be fixed correctly now, then have it linger like Duke ended up doing last year.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Good news is we'd rather it be fixed correctly now, then have it linger like Duke ended up doing last year.

Agreed!

I wonder if this might be that surgery that Bryce Young made popular....the tightrope procedure? Just speculating, but given the nature of his injury that came to mind (also, would be more than ready by Spring).

Edited by IrishGuy

1 hour ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

"Had the procedure earlier this month" as in sometime earlier in January?  Why wouldn't he have it as soon as his season with Duke ended?  Or at least once the semester was finished?  Give himself more healing time.

I was trying to figure that out too. Maybe they didn’t know he needed it until after enrolling at Notre Dame, and after the ND medical staff could take a look and realize it was necessary.

1 hour ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

"Had the procedure earlier this month" as in sometime earlier in January?  Why wouldn't he have it as soon as his season with Duke ended?  Or at least once the semester was finished?  Give himself more healing time.

he was probably exhausting every non surgical option first

• Heart 3

So, it sounds he did have some "cleanup" apparently, which is not a big deal. However, it sounds like he will participate in winter workouts and should be full-go for spring. I think this story is coming down to "semantics."

He did have something done, but doesn't seem to be a big deal like some are making it out to be.

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 2

12 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

So, it sounds he did have some "cleanup" apparently, which is not a big deal. However, it sounds like he will participate in winter workouts and should be full-go for spring. I think this story is coming down to "semantics."

He did have something done, but doesn't seem to be a big deal like some are making it out to be.

Regardless, no need to push hard while he is healing.  There's no rush  and have it re-aggrivated.  

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 2

He's still getting training, playbook install, rest.  Sounds like he'll be able to throw soon, and he'll have all spring/summer to work on route timing and his own conditioning.  

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Significant reason to question the BGI story. Head athletic trainer Rob Hunt comments. I may add a question mark to the title guys.

Thanks, Faith. That's fine - I think this current title works better. Pete Sampson also reporting that he will miss "the majority" of winter workouts. 

https://theathletic.com/5239285/2024/01/30/riley-leonard-injury-notre-dame-surgery/

I think Rob Hunt took issue with the article because it stated that the injury was new and that he would miss part of spring practice (in addition to winter workouts), neither of which is true according to other beat writers.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

Thanks, Faith. That's fine - I think this current title works better. Pete Sampson also reporting that he will miss "the majority" of winter workouts. 

https://theathletic.com/5239285/2024/01/30/riley-leonard-injury-notre-dame-surgery/

I think Rob Hunt took issue with the article because it stated that the injury was new and that he would miss part of spring practice (in addition to winter workouts), neither of which is true according to other beat writers.

I thought it was interesting that Rob Hunt said something.

He's had sort of a long running sports media conversation going on.

I really trust Hansen and Sampson too. Young Horka got put in the penalty box again

• Flames 1