Pre-spring football predictions

It's finally quiet (as much as it gets) - thankfully!  Classes started this week.  Early enrollees are getting into the swing of things, training table, study, Landow is putting the hurt on guys in the weight room, and the staff is busy as ever traveling the nation for recruiting.  No spring schedule release yet, but figure we're only about 8 weeks from Spring Football practices.

I know it's early, but give me predictions for the following:

1) '24 class immediate impact players.  Who makes the 2-deep, or coaches are excited, shakes up the rotation...maybe even starts??

2) Non-starter last year (or rotation role player) who makes a big jump - most improved kinda thing.

3) Breakout player (we can call it the Watts factor).

Realizing I was under recruiting, so feel free to "reclassify" the topic, editors.

I'll submit:

1) Freshmen: KVA is obvious.  I'm also watching Cam Williams and Micah Gilbert.

2) Eli Raridon.  Charles Jagusah.  Boubacar Traore.

3) Jayden Thomas.

• Heart 1

Do the transfer-ins count?

If so:

1) Oben, Leonard, Mitchell, Clark

If not:

1) KVA; Carr by mid-October

2) Greathouse, Jagusah, Wagner

3) Faison.  Crazy, I know, but he seems to be a beast that is fearless, fast, catches everything, and is overlooked.

• Heart 2

Fair enough on Thomas.  Ashton Craig then.  He made Correll quit already.

However, I think Thomas could double his best season, 25 catches for 361 and 3 TDs.  That would be a breakout IMO.  Particularly with a deeper, more seasoned group.

I see him and Greathouse being the ones that keep working their routes across the field on scramble plays to bail out Leonard.

13 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

Do the transfer-ins count?

If so:

1) Oben, Leonard, Mitchell, Clark

If not:

1) KVA; Carr by mid-October

2) Greathouse, Jagusah, Wagner

3) Faison.  Crazy, I know, but he seems to be a beast that is fearless, fast, catches everything, and is overlooked.

Transfers will impact, but I figure they're former starters, so maybe as breakouts?

Carr is interesting.  Brings a pro approach.  I could see him elevating mid-season.  

Amil Wagner - we're gonna need him.

Faison is a good call.  Leonard will like him, too.  Side note, but I don't know how these kids balance 2 sports.

1. KVA starting and Cam Williams 2-deep.

1a. Transfers: Oben and Mitchell starting, and Collins 2-deep.

2. Jadarian Price, Jeremiah Love, and Christian Gray.

3. Eli Raridon.

3a. I would have said Faison, but I feel he already broke out last season, specifically during the Sun Bowl.

I’m already super excited for 2024! 🙌🏼

• Cheers 1

On 1/19/2024 at 12:41 PM, JeffV said:

It's finally quiet (as much as it gets) - thankfully!  Classes started this week.  Early enrollees are getting into the swing of things, training table, study, Landow is putting the hurt on guys in the weight room, and the staff is busy as ever traveling the nation for recruiting.  No spring schedule release yet, but figure we're only about 8 weeks from Spring Football practices.

I know it's early, but give me predictions for the following:

1) '24 class immediate impact players.  Who makes the 2-deep, or coaches are excited, shakes up the rotation...maybe even starts??

2) Non-starter last year (or rotation role player) who makes a big jump - most improved kinda thing.

3) Breakout player (we can call it the Watts factor).

1. KVA and Lambert once he arrives makes the 2 deep.  

2. Price and Live at RB make big jumps.  Raridon at TE.  Wagner and Pendleton at OL.  Traore and Vernon at DL. Bowen and Ausberry at LB. Shuler and Minich at safety

3. Faison already broke out. So Ill go eith Christian Gray. He becomes a dude at corner

• Flames 1
  • Leprechaun 1

1 hour ago, golson5 said:

1. KVA and Lambert once he arrives makes the 2 deep.  

2. Price and Live at RB make big jumps.  Raridon at TE.  Wagner and Pendleton at OL.  Traore and Vernon at DL. Bowen and Ausberry at LB. Shuler and Minich at safety

3. Faison already broke out. So I’ll go eith Christian Gray. He becomes a dude at corner

Completely agree!

• Heart 1

1) KVA on defense and Cam Williams on offense

2) Eli Raridon - I think he will be a 1st Draft pick when it is all said and done

3) D. Bowen or Faison - I think both of the RBs will be explosive, but I see them a true 1a/1b situation so it may be hard to just pick one.

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

We could use a Christian Gray, Micah Gilbert & Jaden Mickey boost at corner.  I think the group will push each other.  

Couple Ausberry mentions, too.  I can see that, too.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, JeffV said:

I think I'm gonna try to make the spring game.  With so many position battles and young guns in the mix, should be an exciting spring!

Speaking of position battles, I just came across this.

Already so excited for 2024!! 😝

• Heart 1

Watched the end of the Denbrock coaches clinic from the year Cincy beat us.

Denbrock loves pass protection and lets his tight ends call protections against outside blitz

You won't see the number of formations from Denbrock but what you will see is him  placing a real value on QBs being protected

I expect the tight ends to be really involved in the  flat. Raridon, Evans when healthy. Hee loves to let the QB run,  give the QB the option to do so but not really call a run.

So RPO,  Running backs slot.

If ND has a great year it will be because ND has a 1000 yard outside receiver or two 800+ yard guys

We know running backs and defense make for long close games if our receivers can truly break big plays then. We'll have those shorter games against bad teams and easier games against good teams

Louisville can't be able to lock us down man to man like they did.

So pick your receivers Collins and Smith,  Cam Williams Mitchell , Harrison. Run by somebody and make a play.

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 2