Does Nick Saban retiring hurt or help ND?

I think its an obvious answer in recruiting.  it helps ND but also helps alot of other schools.  Kids went to Bama because of Saban, not because of the attraction of Tuscaloosa.  I expect a major dip in recruiting and possibly a mass exodus.  We already see Ryan Willaims decommit.  Where it could hurt is them potentially poaching our coaches..  What do you guys think?

Don't know either way.  It may certainly help because of the expected drop off Bama is inevitably going to have following this.  Outside of Georgia, everyone else is probably at least a two loss team in the conference IMO, which could help with playoff spots a bit.

Recruiting, we don't typically go head to head with Bama for recruits, at least the ones they really want like Keely.  We do shop down a little different isle than them, but Freeman appears to be willing to put in the work to get those top guys we gave up on years past.  Additionally the portal and NIL is still evolving and staffs are having to adjust with the knew paradigm, which Freeman and ND seem to be working through.

A sure fire way to fill in the gap for us is to keep winning and put kids in the NFL.  Saban obviously had a great track record of that and without him those kids are going to spread around for those coaches/teams who can fulfill that role.

I don't think we're in danger of losing coaches there.  Rees would have been a fool to not jump at the chance to study under Saban even if it was for just one year.  Now that he's gone, I don't know that anyone will just jump to Bama unless there's huge piles of cash.

• Cheers 1
  • Leprechaun 1

1 hour ago, Show Me The Irishman said:

Unless Alabama steals Marcus Freeman, it can only help.

I know money talks, but can you imagine the pressure of fellowing in Saban’s footsteps?  If you’re not immediately and sustainably successful, you’re branded a failure, even if you do reasonably well.

see Shaw, David

Edited by TexasDomer
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, TexasDomer said:

I know money talks, but can you imagine the pressure of fellowing in Saban’s footsteps?  If you’re not immediately and sustainably successful, you’re branded a failure, even if you do reasonably well.

see Shaw, David

I agree 100%

On balance, it's probably more helpful. Saban was 1/1. No longer competing with him makes things a bit easier for everyone. If another top coach (say, Dabo) goes there, he will probably struggle to handle the situation, and his previous employer (Clemson) would likely suffer a dip, too. So, that would make two weakened competitors (in theory).

If they take Freeman, it hurts big. I believe in what Freeman is building, but I don't think it would survive his leaving without taking a big hit.

19 minutes ago, Tailgate Approved said:

On balance, it's probably more helpful. Saban was 1/1. No longer competing with him makes things a bit easier for everyone. If another top coach (say, Dabo) goes there, he will probably struggle to handle the situation, and his previous employer (Clemson) would likely suffer a dip, too. So, that would make two weakened competitors (in theory).

If they take Freeman, it hurts big. I believe in what Freeman is building, but I don't think it would survive his leaving without taking a big hit.

But Belichek, Saban, and Carroll are on the market now.  I'm certain we could convince one of them to come.  Heck we may even convince Charlie Tuna to come back and OC for BB again...

1 hour ago, jessemoore97 said:

But Belichek, Saban, and Carroll are on the market now.  I'm certain we could convince one of them to come.  Heck we may even convince Charlie Tuna to come back and OC for BB again...

I admire your optimism. I disagree that any of those coaches would be interested in wading into CFB for ND, but it would be interesting if they would.

5 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

ROTFLMAO!!  Sorry, I thought my sarcasm was pretty obvious on this one folks!

• Laughing Leprechaun 1