Signing day?

1 hour ago, coltssb said:

Ok sticking my chest out here. I used to argue all the time that Kelly sucked as a recruiter and everyone always blamed academics, weather, girls etc. I called bs and always reference Weis was able to still recruit high talented recruits regularly with an even crappier team. 
Freeman just proved my point. And…and…this is during NIL which is even more difficult. I can’t imagine Kelly trying to navigate with NIL at ND. We would be 3 Star U. 

I joined in 2021 so can't speak about the years before the 2020 season. Since I've been a part of Domer Domain, most of the comments I remember regarding Brian Kelly as a recruiter were that it was one of his weakest areas, he was generally not very good at it, and/or he didn't make enough effort.

That's what has me most excited regarding Freeman. He feels like a guy who will go that extra mile to make players feel wanted, valued, and is the type of coach you want to play for. I'm eagerly waiting to see the fruit of his labors in this department. What @tneun89 shared above matches exactly how I've felt Notre Dame's recent recruits have been.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, coltssb said:

Ok sticking my chest out here. I used to argue all the time that Kelly sucked as a recruiter and everyone always blamed academics, weather, girls etc. I called bs and always reference Weis was able to still recruit high talented recruits regularly with an even crappier team. 
Freeman just proved my point. And…and…this is during NIL which is even more difficult. I can’t imagine Kelly trying to navigate with NIL at ND. We would be 3 Star U. 

Spot on about Kelly. Never showed up until the very last minute, then it was too late in many recruiting battles. As a matter of fact, he was on the final in-home visit with Merriweather and when he left he told the staff he was going to LSU. Surprised Merriweather even honored his commitment with that BS happening. Freeman can really stick to Kelly if he can convince Dembrcok, whom  he and several ND coaches have coached with, to come back to ND to be its OC!!!!!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, coltssb said:

Tom Loy agrees with you opining that Kelly took alot of soft takes (heavy leans) early only to try and fail to rally late

• Laughing Leprechaun 1

17 hours ago, coltssb said:

Couldn't agree more!

• Cheers 1

This used to be the most exciting day on this board, back before the days of early enrollees, transfers, etc.

There would be a 20-page thread, waiting for those California signees, lots of anxiety, and some cheers along the way. 

I kind of like the quietness at the present moment.

I feel we came out really clean from the transfer portal and recruiting, especially considering the early fiasco with WRs.

It is fun to watch the drama of the Georgia QB flip away followed by the safety flip  from FSU to Georgia, etc

• Heart 3

4 minutes ago, 97domer said:

This used to be the most exciting day on this board, back before the days of early enrollees, transfers, etc.

There would be a 20-page thread, waiting for those California signees, lots of anxiety, and some cheers along the way. 

I feel we came out really clean from the transfer portal and recruiting, especially considering the early fiasco with WRs.

It is fun to watch the drama of the Georgia QB flip away followed by the safety flip  from FSU to Georgia, etc

Totally agree... nice not having a signing decommitment (kinda) this year

• Leprechaun 1

3 hours ago, 97domer said:

Ahhh those were the days back in the late 90's and early 2000's on a board or two I was on prior to DD.  I miss them to an extent, but I do like quiet signing days too.

1 hour ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

This dude right here is my hope. Cam Represents an athlete that we have not really had since Mike Floyd.

Agree.  The athletics and polish of a WR coming in as a freshman.  Claypool as an example, was a heck of an athlete, but he didn't have the polish initially as a WR.  One can hope he as big of a beast Floyd was, or dare I say better.

16 hours ago, 97domer said:

Yeah, not much drama this time around. It seemed the class has been pretty settled for a while now and the staff was more involved with the transfer portal. ND doesn’t seem to win many of those recruits who ‘pick the hat’ on signing day, so maybe the focus this year was on securing commitments earlier? 

I’m impressed there weren’t any decommits with the departure of Stuckey and Parker. Tells me they have done a really good job of ‘selling the ND experience’.