Notre Dame Hires Mike Brown to WR Coach

Sources confirm to Football Scoop: Notre Dame has its new WR coach

After Marcus Freeman made the seemingly unpopular and most definitely unexpected decision to fire Chansi Stuckey as Notre Dame's wide receivers coach days ago, Freeman now has his new coach for the position.

Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Mike Brown, who previously coached alongside Freeman at the University of Cincinnati, has been tabbed to fill Stuckey's role with the Fighting Irish. Brown was WR coach and associate head coach at Wisconsin this year unser Luke Fickell

Matt Zenitz, of 247Sports, was first to report that Freeman and Notre Dame had dialed in their focus to hire Brown.

• Heart 2
  • Leprechaun 1

Wonder if there’s some other changes coming…hard to pull a wr coach that also has the associate head coach moniker to make a move as only a wr coach. I dig it though, supposedly a relentless recruiter and highly thought of among young coaches

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, IrishGuy said:

I heard Stuckey had some weird practice routines.....this guy looks like he has a bucket on his hand 🙂

Up next, players wearing blindfolds and trying to dodge wrenches. 

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!

I'm not entirely sure how that's helpful for wide receivers - maybe Brown has a different take on it. If you can catch a wrench, you can catch a ball 😆

• Laughing Leprechaun 4

4 hours ago, Mike said:

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!

I'm not entirely sure how that's helpful for wide receivers - maybe Brown has a different take on it. If you can catch a wrench, you can catch a ball 😆

What a classic! 😂🤣

• Cheers 1

Hopefully as good a recruiter as CS, a better fundamentals coach, and not as polarizing - what has come out so far is that some of 'the room' loved CS, and some really didn't - nothing substantiated.

Elsewhere, Elko has brought his Duke S&C to A&M, so Balis won't show up there.

I cling to the low % hope that he comes back, but consider it a win that he won't be coaching  (even for 9 months) our early season opponent. He's that good, and to me S&C has probably become the 2nd most important slot (behind HC) on staff. You can't cook a great meal with sub par groceries, no matter how good the chef. JMO

• Flames 1

9 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Has this hire been confirmed by the school yet?  I don't see anything on the football team's official IG or X

Just a formality I think, several WR commits have made posts that line up with the leaked information.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Wharton70 said:

Hopefully as good a recruiter as CS, a better fundamentals coach, and not as polarizing - what has come out so far is that some of 'the room' loved CS, and some really didn't - nothing substantiated.

Elsewhere, Elko has brought his Duke S&C to A&M, so Balis won't show up there.

I cling to the low % hope that he comes back, but consider it a win that he won't be coaching  (even for 9 months) our early season opponent. He's that good, and to me S&C has probably become the 2nd most important slot (behind HC) on staff. You can't cook a great meal with sub par groceries, no matter how good the chef. JMO

From what I have heard of him in both Irish Breakdown and Irish Illustrated podcasts, he is a great recruiter and has produced 3 NFL WRs the past few seasons so he should clearly be a better fundamentals coach than Stuckey.

• Heart 2
  • Leprechaun 2