What are we looking for against Clemson?

I love watching this defense play so I am looking for them to dominate again.  Clemson's offense doesn't really look too scary to me so it should be another dominating performance.

On offense I want to see them prioritize getting the playmakers involved, mainly Tyree.  The dude is a highlight reel waiting to happen every time he touches the ball.

What say you?

• Heart 2

All three phases of the game making plays, and working together synchronously in order to win.

Basically, the exact same thing they have been doing the last two games, because ever since USC, they have seemed like a different team!

Go Irish!!! 🍀🏈

• Cheers 2

I was way off last week, so take this with a grain of salt...

Clemson has a really, really good defense. They are ranked 6th in total defense (266.9 yards/game), 15th in rushing defense (99.1 yards/game), 9th in passing defense (167.8 yards/game), and 12th in passing efficiency defense.

But Clemson's offense has held them back, which is why they're 4-4. They have put up respectable numbers: 49th in total offense (ND is 41st) and 63rd in scoring offense (ND is 12th), but they cannot hold on to the ball. They rank 106th in turnovers lost with 15 (10 fumbles and 5 INTs). Clemson is also banged up. Their star RB, Will Shipley, is likely out with a concussion. And two of their WRs are hurt as well. Clemson's OL is not great, so I think the ND defense will have a great performance. 

The major question is how the offense plays. ND has played a lot of good defenses (OSU, Duke, Louisville are all Top 25 in total yards and points against) and have largely struggled. I think they actually performed well against OSU - put up nearly 100 yards more offense against them than OSU allows on average - but just couldn't convert on some key 3rd and 4th downs. 

Hartman had great success against Clemson last year, throwing for 337 yards, 6 TDs, and 0 INTs, but his WR corps at ND is nowhere near as good as what he had at Wake. And losing Evans is going to be tough to overcome, even though the WRs are finally getting healthy and playing better. ND has to be able to run the ball like they did against OSU (176 yards). Clemson is similar statistically to OSU's run defense: Clemson is ranked 15th (99.1 yards/game) and OSU is 16th (99.8 yards game). If ND is forced to rely solely on the passing game, it could be a long day, as Clemson's secondary is very good (although, it sounds like one of their safeties will not play). 

Clemson is 4-4, but that includes an OT loss to #4 FSU and a 2OT loss to 6-2 Miami. They lost to Duke in the first game of the season, despite outgaining them (they had 3 turnovers), and lost to NC State last week when they had 160 yards more offense (but lost the turnover battle 2-0).

I expect Clemson to play well at home, especially with all the noise this week (Dabo having to defend the program). The positive side is that this is a noon kickoff, so I don't expect the crowd to be a huge factor, especially if ND can get control of the game early on. I think it'll be low scoring and very close. The turnover battle will be huge, and ND has a major advantage there. If Hartman protects the ball, I think ND wins. I don't see Clemson scoring more than 2TDs.

ND 20-13.

• Trophy 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Leprechaun 1

I expect this to be a very tough game. Clemson is not bad, they are a good team that has had bad luck. The offensive and defensive numbers (yards for and against) are similar to ND with the big difference being points for and against....which can be attributed at least in part to turnovers (ND has been really good in this area and Clemson not so much).

I read a break down of Clemson a week or so ago (I think it was on ESPN....so not the best source) and they talked about how odd is was that their record is this bad when their hidden stats (not just yards and points, but the stats like efficiency, win rate, 3 and outs etc..) were so good. It even went as far as to say that Dabo is in a weird position because there is no glaring issue to fix....maybe he needs to wear 4 leaf clover underwear or get a bucket of KFC (Major League reference).

Having said that, I expect this to be a very tough and low scoring game. Though Clemson has home field advantage (and anyone saying it won't be that bad because it is noon is crazy....those people wake up in face paint and yelling) I think ND has the edge due to turn overs and special teams. **If Shipley is out (or limited) Clemson may not at all score.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, IrishGuy said:

I expect this to be a very tough game. Clemson is not bad, they are a good team that has had bad luck. The offensive and defensive numbers (yards for and against) are similar to ND with the big difference being points for and against....which can be attributed at least in part to turnovers (ND has been really good in this area and Clemson not so much).

I read a break down of Clemson a week or so ago (I think it was on ESPN....so not the best source) and they talked about how odd is was that their record is this bad when their hidden stats (not just yards and points, but the stats like efficiency, win rate, 3 and outs etc..) were so good. It even went as far as to say that Dabo is in a weird position because there is no glaring issue to fix....maybe he needs to wear 4 leaf clover underwear or get a bucket of KFC (Major League reference).

Having said that, I expect this to be a very tough and low scoring game. Though Clemson has home field advantage (and anyone saying it won't be that bad because it is noon is crazy....those people wake up in face paint and yelling) I think ND has the edge due to turn overs and special teams. **If Shipley is out (or limited) Clemson may not at all score.

I have the same feeling.  I hope I am wrong but I see this game probably being a battle regardless of their 4-4 record.  They still have talented players all over the field.  ND should win, I just don't know if it is going to be a Duke win or a USC win.  Hopefully Klubnik continues his turnover woes.

• Flames 1