Grading the QB Transfers

Via ESPN Insider.  And yet, we still have 'fans' wanting the Irish to get a delorean and go back and have Buchner be the Irish QB1 for 2023 and 2024

Grade Tier: A-

87.png&h=60&w=60

Sam Hartman, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Transferred from: Wake Forest

2023 stats: 1,712 passing yards, 16 TD passes, 3 interceptions, 2 rushing TDs

How he has fared so far: Hartman was the biggest prize in this year's quarterback transfer market, and he has made the desired impact so far at Notre Dame. The ACC's career leader in touchdown passes has added 16 more to his impressive career total (126) and given Notre Dame the veteran presence and upgraded skills needed to navigate a tricky schedule. Hartman's completion percentage so far of 64.5 marks a career best. After throwing a combined 26 interceptions the past two seasons, he had not thrown any until Saturday night, when Louisville picked him off three times. Despite Notre Dame's limitations at wide receiver, he has clicked with tight end Mitchell Evans and others. The Louisville loss certainly stings and Hartman struggled a bit against Duke, but he has given Notre Dame a boost at QB.

Then....about 24 QBs Down the List

Grade Tier: D-

333.png&h=60&w=60

Tyler Buchner, Alabama Crimson Tide

Transferred from: Notre Dame

2023 stats: 61 passing yards, 0 TD passes, 0 interceptions, 1 rushing TD

How he has fared so far: Buchner transferred late to Alabama, after Notre Dame offensive coordinator Tommy Rees left for the same position at Alabama and Sam Hartman transferred to Notre Dame. Buchner sat behind Jalen Milroe for the first two weeks, then got a shot against USF in Week 3. Buchner completed 5 of 14 passes for 34 yards and no touchdowns and was eventually replaced by Ty Simpson in the game. Milroe was again named the starter, and Buchner hasn't played since.

221.png&h=60&w=60

Phil Jurkovec, Pittsburgh Panthers

Transferred from: Boston College

2023 stats: 818 passing yards, 6 TD passes, 3 interceptions, 1 rushing TD

How he has fared so far: Jurkovec has had a rough go of it at Pitt and was benched for backup Christian Veilleux prior to the seventh game of the season against Louisville. Pitt started the season at 1-5 with Jurkovec as the starter and ranked 108th of 133 FBS teams in passing yards per game during those five games. The team ranked 103rd in offensive points scored per game and Jurkovec ranks No. 73 among all FBS quarterbacks in passing touchdowns this season while completing a little more than 50% of his passes on the season. Despite talk of a position switch, Jurkovec is now backing up Veilleux, a Penn State transfer, at QB.

Edited by NDLincPark
  • Heart 1

I was a total Buchner fanboy coming out of covid.  I couldn't wait to get him on the field in a gold helmet.  My god was I so mistaken.  Nothing against Tyler as a person, I'm sure he's a great kid.  I'm just glad he is no longer a starting option for the Irish.  I would have had no problem with him as a backup.  We're moving on to bigger and better quarterbacks, so, with all due respect...good riddance.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1