Postgame - #9 Notre Dame vs Central Michigan (Win 41-17)

Estime, Estime, Estime.

Hartman with another great game and fantastic on deep throws.

Defense has some cleaning up to do.

Little sloppy on penalties again.

That game seemed a lot closer than it was, but in the grand scheme of things ND outgained CMU by 300+ yards. 

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, TexasDomer said:

Is anyone else concerned that Estime relies on that jump too much?  One of these days someone like Ohio State is doing to hit him mid-air and wreck him.

No not really. He seems to have a damn good grasp on when to hurdle and when to lower his shoulder and go through

• Flames 1

Offense: Hartman played well, but not spectacular. Made some good throws when it mattered, and controlled the game just enough. Maybe CMU going for his knees a few different times rattled him a bit, because there were some off throws.

Defense: A terrible first half. However, I blame most of it on the horrible, horrible officiating, which can be demoralizing! As I saw others say, JD plays a factor. I was disappointed in both Kiser and Sneed. They both just couldn’t tackle and we’re a step off, so not good! I will say, there was good second half adjustments by Golden, because the defense played much better in the second half!

Special Teams: Got close at times to a punt block, but still can’t get there. They seemed to take a big step back later in the game. I will give it to Tyree, he is doing a great job at punt returns. Maybe not on yards, but in selling the punt catch and when the right time it is to catch the ball.

Overall, could have been better, but at least ND held CMU to three points in the second half! 😅

On to Ohio State!

20 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Were there any updates on Hartman?  I know I say it a lot, I have to watch with no sound while at work.  So idk what may have been said or not said during the broadcast.  It is obviously nothing too serious since he kept playing.  But was anything mentioned at all?

20 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Oh, Kiser too...

I haven’t seen anything yet.

• Cheers 1

The game seemed a lot closer than it should have been.  Self inflicted penalties were a bit of a problem and need to be cleaned up.

Hartman seems to always want that big gainer type throw, which is nice at times because it's far removed from what we are used to.  We need to be able to hit that underneath stuff too and screens.  OSU will probably not allow him that much time in the pocket without pressure.  We need some quick hitters too, more TE involvement.

Estime is a beast.  I think the plan was to be a bit vanilla today with the offense and not have to use him that much.  But plans changed.  Love is developing nicely and had some good runs.

Glad to see Merriweather involved more today with targets and building him up before OSU.  Thomas is Mr Reliable and he was so close to have gotten a TD on that long pass.  Tyree looked good.  I really love the underneath stuff to Staes and hope we us it this week.

Defense was lousy at times.  I think Bertrand being out caused a far amount of confusion and consternation.  I think the plan was to get a lot of guys time too which can cause issues with chemistry and communication.  Still the tackling was very sloppy and needs to be rectified.  Marist had another good game I thought.  Onye needs more PT.  He's a big body that needs to be on the field to help against the run game and he seemed to get pressure too.  Baptiste also played well and hopefully he's fired up to take on his old team!

ST again serviceable.  We definitely have booming legs for punts, KOs, and FGs.  Tyree did a great fake on the one PR fair catch that allowed a touch back.

Coaching.  Still growing here.  I agree with Faith that we should have pin and punted rather than 59 FG try, flipping the field.  Golden blitzes a bit too much for me.  It gets unimaginative when we always do it or it comes from the same guys, aka the LBs down after down.  The ones we used Harper twice in a row were effective and appropriate, in addition to not being a LB.  I think Morrison got sent once too.  We lost contain a number of times on some of those blitzes which can be brutal.  Like seeing Freeman getting on the refs more.

• Flames 1