WR Corps Preference

An interesting conversation came up in a podcast I was listening to yesterday.

Do you think an offense needs to have that alpha dog WR to be successful or would a group a very good, not elite, WR's be just as successful? I don't mean against inferior opponents...

I love the way our WR's and weapons are being used by Parker and Hartman.   To me, it makes the job of opposing DC much harder when you can't zero in on one target.  In order to do that though, you need big time QB play.  The last few seasons we had to go to the well way too often in Mayer because we didn't have the QB to spread it around.  This year is much different with Hartman under center.

I guess for me the short answer is you don't need that alpha dog at WR, you need it at QB.  if you have an elite QB then either situation, when it comes to the WR corp,  could be successful.

What say you?

• Heart 2

I think you need a go-to guy the qb can look for when he needs it. Maybe alpha dog isn’t the right word for me to use, but I would use “go-to” guy. A great qb can mask some of that for sure, but when qb play is average or below average (like we saw last year, even with Mayer) it’s a struggle 

• Heart 1

I think these last two years are a perfect example

2022: One dominant pass catcher and the QB focuses on him (Mayer)
2023: No dominant pass catcher, but there are so many good ones

I think I would prefer 2023, especially when you consider pretty much all of the WRs from 2023 have multiple years of eligibility left to improve.

• Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NDhoosier said:

I think these last two years are a perfect example

2022: One dominant pass catcher and the QB focuses on him (Mayer)
2023: No dominant pass catcher, but there are so many good ones

I think I would prefer 2023, especially when you consider pretty much all of the WRs from 2023 have multiple years of eligibility left to improve.

Well said. Me brain no work well, you say better.

• Laughing Leprechaun 3

I think before the season, ND fans wanted the receivers to step up.  I think that generally they have.  I would love to have a superstud, but if Hartman is consistently sharing the wealth such that defensves do not know who to cover and defend, it makes our offense more effective.  

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Leprechaun 1

Some of the QBs we've had in the past like Book and Pyne needed that 1 guy because they tended to lock in on them early in the play.  Hartman is so well trained at scanning the field for the open guy, which is the big difference.  So many coaches and OCs I've listened to over the years all talk about keeping the defense off balance, so spreading it around creates a lot more problems for the defending team.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 2
  • Leprechaun 1