Marcus Freeman vs Brian Kelly - Recruiting

Good article....obviously Brian left ND with some talent....Marcus is adding to it...time will tell. Still think with either we have missed out on those 5 stars ND needs to really compete to win a Championship and not just appear in one.  I do however think if ND gets it's act together with NIL then we will have a chance.

Notre Dame Has Absolutely Improved Its Recruiting Under Marcus Freeman - Sports Illustrated Notre Dame Fighting Irish News, Analysis and More

• Heart 1

Marcus Freeman's first two classes signed 45 total players. Of that group, 82.2% were four or five-star recruits.

In Brian Kelly's five seven classes, only 54.4% of the signees were four or five-star recruits.

Good post @1Redrum now we'll see how it translates to wins and losses but thats a 28.8 percent advantage.

• Heart 2

It’s not really a fair article. Truly Freeman can only claim credit for the current incoming class. He was DC for the previous class, so that credit really belongs to Kelly. Freeman probably made a difference but he can’t get all that credit in that class. 
He does seem to be an excellent recruiter. I’m not sure how much that means anymore, though, in this age of NIL and transfers. Recently reading articles about women on Miami’s basketball team getting $800,000 NIL deals makes me think it truly is a ‘show me the money’ world now. If one school offers $400,000 and the other offers 800,000 deals, the kid’s likely to go to the $800,000 offer no matter how great the recruiter is. 

All this has me loosing my enthusiasm for the sport. And I know I am not alone. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, TexasDomer said:

And a $400k head start helps overcome a disadvantage from getting a degree from a school with less academic prestige 

Absolutely.....though many pro's end up broke.  The reality is the easy path for many leads to bad decisions.