12-Team CFP (14 Team?)

It sounds like 12 team playoffs as soon as next year I saw one place.  Thoughts?

I'm kind of old school on this.  At most I was in favor of a +1 championship game after bowl season.  I miss the good old days before super conferences, tearing apart historic rivalries, etc.  More and more its becoming just about revenue streams at all costs, more NFL-like, which is why I prefer college and all the what may soon to be gone pageantry etc.

Explanation will still have its detractors and won't make everyone happy for who's in and who's out.  Soon they'll expand it again.  I like that losing games has consequences and if you've lost 2-3 games in a season are you really deserving of a playoff spot?

Oh, it will be so much fun to see 5 SEC teams in the 12 team playoffs every year.  

And Tulane or some other traditional football powerhouse get in at 12 or 11 because they had a good year in their terrible conference.  But, hey, ND has been stomped in the playoffs, so why not let the Tulanes of the world suffer the same?

What actually would be fun, however, would be to see how Draft Kings changes ESPN when they either buy it or partner with it (talks are in the works: https://www.axios.com/2022/11/01/espn-possible-draftkings-deal-jimmy-pitaro ).  I have to think this would actually affect how teams are ranked in a given year.  Could get wild.

3 hours ago, AnTostal said:

Oh, it will be so much fun to see 5 SEC teams in the 12 team playoffs every year.  

And Tulane or some other traditional football powerhouse get in at 12 or 11 because they had a good year in their terrible conference.  But, hey, ND has been stomped in the playoffs, so why not let the Tulanes of the world suffer the same?

What actually would be fun, however, would be to see how Draft Kings changes ESPN when they either buy it or partner with it (talks are in the works: https://www.axios.com/2022/11/01/espn-possible-draftkings-deal-jimmy-pitaro ).  I have to think this would actually affect how teams are ranked in a given year.  Could get wild.

I actually look forward to see multiple teams from conferences. It will be reality. It will either confirm conference dominance, or prove it wrong. 

Let's project/guess the top 12 (not looking to argue on the top 12, just a guess).. 

1. UGA
  2. Michigan
  3. TCU
  4. USC
  5. OSU
  6. Bama
  7. TN (let's assume Hooker is still healthy)
  8. Penn State
  9. Clemson
  10. Washington
  11. FSU
  12. LSU

So the big 4 games would be 

LSU/OSU vs 4USC

FSU/Bama vs 3TCU

WA/TN vs 2Michigan

Clemson/PSU vs 1UGA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, we'd end up with OSU/USC, Bama/TCU, TN/Mich, and PSU/UGA

Then OSU/UGA, and Bama/Michigan

I'd enjoy that... regardless who won. Best teams, not most deserving. 

Edited by OKelleyIrish
  • Cheers 1

For context

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35155431/college-football-playoff-expansion-need-know

Finally.

A process that began with a news release on June 10, 2021, came to a resolution this week when the College Football Playoff announced Thursday it will expand the sport's postseason to 12 teams in time for the 2024 and 2025 seasons.

A whole new set of challenges began this fall, when the 11 presidents and chancellors who comprise the CFP's board of managers took control of the process and voted in early September to expand the field to 12 teams in 2026. Since then, the presidents urged the 10 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick to figure out a way to do in time for the 2024 season.

How does this impact the regular-season schedule?
For now, there aren't any plans to move the season or start at Week 0 in the current contract, but Hancock said conversations about it will continue. It's less a CFP issue than it is a wholistic look at the sport's calendar, which is something that would be discussed at the level of the commissioners.

"No one is very far down the road on that," he said.

Hancock said he doesn't think a 12-team field will have any significant changes on the regular season, other than more meaningful games in November.

With the six highest-ranked conference champions guaranteed a spot in the 12-team field, it's possible athletic directors are more inclined to take risks in the nonconference schedule and add high-quality Power 5 opponents to the slate. There will be less pressure to finish undefeated or with one loss in the new format

What is the format?
The new format would start with the 2024 season, so we'll have two more playoffs under the current format -- this year and next year.

The field will comprise the selection committee's six highest-ranked conference champions and its next six highest-ranked teams. The four highest-ranked conference champions will earn the top seeds and a first-round bye. The other eight teams will play in the first round, with the higher seeds hosting the lower seeds on campus or at another site of their choice.

For the 2024 and 2025 seasons, the four quarterfinal games and two semifinal games will be played in bowls on a rotating basis. The 2024 quarterfinals will take place in the Fiesta Bowl, Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl, while the Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl will host the semifinals. The 2025 quarterfinals will take place in the Cotton, Orange, Rose and Sugar, while the Fiesta and Peach will host the semifinals.

The national championship games will be played Jan. 20, 2025, in Atlanta, and Jan. 19, 2026, in Miami.

Much much much more to read in the link provided.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

So sounds conference champions are given byes (top 4), regardless of record... And they said top 6 conference champions (likely P5 + 1 other), are automatics, regardless of rank... So the winner of #18 Tulane (10-2) vs #22 UCF (9-3)... would likely be #6... 

On 12/1/2022 at 11:36 PM, OKelleyIrish said:

So sounds conference champions are given byes (top 4), regardless of record... And they said top 6 conference champions (likely P5 + 1 other), are automatics, regardless of rank... So the winner of #18 Tulane (10-2) vs #22 UCF (9-3)... would likely be #6... 

It’s my understanding that the P5 and 1 other champions are guaranteed admission to the playoffs, but not guaranteed top 6 seeds. 
The 4 highest ranked conference champions get the 4 top seeds and first round byes. 
The other two conference champions are in, but then it goes by ranking as to where they’d fall regarding seeding in the tournament. 
This year Tulane, for instance, would be in, but not the number 6 seed. 

Which also means that unless ND joins a conference, they’ll always play and need to win at least one more playoff game than the top 4 conference champions. 
Maybe that’s okay since ND doesn’t play a conference championship game. 

Edited by AnTostal
  • Heart 1

11 hours ago, AnTostal said:

It’s my understanding that the P5 and 1 other champions are guaranteed admission to the playoffs, but not guaranteed top 6 seeds. 
The 4 highest ranked conference champions get the 4 top seeds and first round byes. 
The other two conference champions are in, but then it goes by ranking as to where they’d fall regarding seeding in the tournament. 
This year Tulane, for instance, would be in, but not the number 6 seed. 

Which also means that unless ND joins a conference, they’ll always play and need to win at least one more playoff game than the top 4 conference champions. 
Maybe that’s okay since ND doesn’t play a conference championship game. 

The rules are not 100% set, but see the NYGD post where he posted articles. Doesn't specifically say about the non-top 4, but it would be strange if the 2 conf champs were not 5 and 6. For instance, giving the 3rd and 4th seed to some CCs, but not auto seeds to the other (especially the other P5 school)... 

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Baldy said:

With all this news, when does everyone expect Notre Dame Football to win a National Championship?

I’m going to say by the 2025-2026 season.

Saban and Harbaugh leaving certainly opens up possibilities.  Georgia, to me, seems like the only certain conference champion.  ND has favorable schedules over the next several years.  Keep recruiting at this level, keep getting optimal transfers, and keep a solid coaching staff, you may be right!

• Heart 2
  • Leprechaun 1

1 hour ago, AnTostal said:

Saban and Harbaugh leaving certainly opens up possibilities.  Georgia, to me, seems like the only certain conference champion.  ND has favorable schedules over the next several years.  Keep recruiting at this level, keep getting optimal transfers, and keep a solid coaching staff, you may be right!

So many factors, health is a big one.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, AnTostal said:

Agreed! And thanks, because that is really how I see it!

16 minutes ago, jessemoore97 said:

So many factors, health is a big one.

Too true!

Then you have Stephen A. Smith saying stupid crap like this.

I watched the video, and all he talked about was what the SEC has done and what Notre Dame hasn’t. But as others have said, they have done a lot more than so many other programs, as is seen above. His take was total garbage, and of course Paul Finebaum was there to just back him up and laugh. Not sure who the other guys was, but he didn’t say anything.

I swear, ESPNs bias for their conference, is showing! That’s ESECPN for ya! Also still trying to figure out how the biggest sports network, whom has voters in so many categories of the sport, and owned by the biggest company in the world, can have ownership rights to a conference!? I do feel ESPN and the SEC has tainted CFB!

Sorry, I’ll get off my soapbox. I just had to vent! 😕

Here’s the video if anyone’s even interested in hearing this trash!

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/39569029

• Laughing Leprechaun 1

This is all looking very bleak for Notre Dame Football to stay independent.

With all these changes, I really can see the team joining a conference very soon!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 10:14 PM, Baldy said:

This is all looking very bleak for Notre Dame Football to stay independent.

With all these changes, I really can see the team joining a conference very soon!

not until at least 2031 which now lines up with the next NBC deal.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39738322/conferences-notre-dame-agree-new-playoff-deal

• Cheers 1

I like that if the Irish make the CFP, they get another $6M which puts them in the SEC/Big 10 territory money-wise. BTW, only independents get that $6M bump. 

I think it was a away of saying that ND could get SEC/Big 10 if they proved they belonged. Probably the best ND could expect given the voting numbers.

• Flames 1