Seriously Overpaid Coaches

Thought I’d start a new topic on this since the discussion of Jimbo and A & M was distracting from the recruiting board. 

I’m not a big fan of Jimbo Fisher, think he’s overrated as a coach and definitely overpaid! His contract is fully guaranteed, which means if A&M were to let him go after this season, they would owe the entire contract as a buyout - something like $94 million.  That’s crazy.

The other coach who comes to mind is Mel Tucker at MSU. What has he ever accomplished as a HC to deserve that contract? Bupkis, I think.

I don’t necessarily root against these 2 coaches per se, more I would like to see the schools giving out these massive contracts rue the day they thought this was a good idea. 

• Heart 1

Mel Tucker is overrated. 

No issue with JImbo. SECW is clearly the best division in CFB, in the clearly best conference in CFB... 

It's the market. 

And will take $$ to convince any guy.... come to SECW and play Saban every year... Look at the SECW coaches...

• Saban
  • Kelly
  • Kitten
  • The Pirate
  • Jimbo
  • Sam Pittman (rising guy, previous UGA AHC)
  • Bryan Harsin (long term Boise St HC)

IMO, Kitten will get lured away soon by more $$... Could see FSU or Miami... 

7 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Mel Tucker is overrated. 

No issue with JImbo. SECW is clearly the best division in CFB, in the clearly best conference in CFB... 

It's the market. 

And will take $$ to convince any guy.... come to SECW and play Saban every year... Look at the SECW coaches...

• Saban
  • Kelly
  • Kitten
  • The Pirate
  • Jimbo

I agree with your money assessment on the SEC west. I don’t agree with your Jimbo assessment. He’s bad. I don’t care that he won that fake championship. Crab legs Winston was the only reason they won that. Also, ask any FSU fan and they’ll give you Kelly vibes on his coaching and the state of the program after he left. The difference however is Jimbo left FSU in shambles on the offensive line. And They have been terrible ever since. At least till this year.  Think about this, in Willie Taggert’s lone year they averaged 2.3 yards a rush for the year!  If you followed that program you would see how the talent started declining the more Jimbo stayed there. 
Anyways, Texas ATM shouldn’t be surprised with their record or program. They were losing 3-4 games a year prior to Jimbo and while in the b12. What made them think moving to the SEC and hiring Jimbo was going to change that?  Foolish in their part if they did.  

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, jimbo said:

Thought I’d start a new topic on this since the discussion of Jimbo and A & M was distracting from the recruiting board. 

I’m not a big fan of Jimbo Fisher, think he’s overrated as a coach and definitely overpaid! His contract is fully guaranteed, which means if A&M were to let him go after this season, they would owe the entire contract as a buyout - something like $94 million.  That’s crazy.

The other coach who comes to mind is Mel Tucker at MSU. What has he ever accomplished as a HC to deserve that contract? Bupkis, I think.

I don’t necessarily root against these 2 coaches per se, more I would like to see the schools giving out these massive contracts rue the day they thought this was a good idea. 

Technically it doesn’t matter how much Jimbo’s salary is worth.  If they fire him, that the end of it.  You can’t sue A&M (or any other state agency in Texas) for breach of contract in these circumstances.  Mike Leach found that out at Texas Tech.

That said, as far as I am aware, Texas state agencies do not have a practice of breaching contracts.  It’s not a good business practice if you ever want to enter another contract.

Edited by TexasDomer

15 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Mel Tucker is overrated. 

It's the market. 

• Saban
  • Kelly
  • Kitten
  • The Pirate
  • Jimbo

Who is the Kitten and who is the Pirate?  

25 minutes ago, TexasDomer said:

I think the Pirate is the aforementioned Mike Leach

The Pirate is the best thing to happen to whatever team he coaches.  Texas Tech fans still rue the day the school dumped him.

The dude can flat out coach.  And he's completely entertaining.  Just says whats-what.  

He might enjoy a cocktail or two, but other coaches (I'm talkin' to you, Sark) have been known to knock back a few as well.

Edited by AnTostal

22 hours ago, coltssb said:

I agree with your money assessment on the SEC west. I don’t agree with your Jimbo assessment. He’s bad. I don’t care that he won that fake championship. Crab legs Winston was the only reason they won that. Also, ask any FSU fan and they’ll give you Kelly vibes on his coaching and the state of the program after he left. The difference however is Jimbo left FSU in shambles on the offensive line. And They have been terrible ever since. At least till this year.  Think about this, in Willie Taggert’s lone year they averaged 2.3 yards a rush for the year!  If you followed that program you would see how the talent started declining the more Jimbo stayed there. 
Anyways, Texas ATM shouldn’t be surprised with their record or program. They were losing 3-4 games a year prior to Jimbo and while in the b12. What made them think moving to the SEC and hiring Jimbo was going to change that?  Foolish in their part if they did.  

Like I said I'm not a big fan of Jimbo. 

Tell you me this. Who, realistically, TAMU would get better. Someone with big name, that would go to SECW, and play vs Saban every year, within that division?

4 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Like I said I'm not a big fan of Jimbo. 

Tell you me this. Who, realistically, TAMU would get better. Someone with big name, that would go to SECW, and play vs Saban every year, within that division?

That’s for them to figure out. Just because it’s a big name doesn’t mean they are the right fit for that program. Lance Leopold for all I know could be a good hire. Luke Fickell- Harbaugh-Day- Meyer are your “big names” that could jump. Then there’s the pro ranks. That’s for those multi-millionaire athletic directors to figure out. It’s the same discussion we’ve had on countless times of Kelly. So so single minded thinking on coaching hires. Has to be a big name and has to of won a championship for it to be a good hire nowadays….

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, coltssb said:

That’s for them to figure out. Just because it’s a big name doesn’t mean they are the right fit for that program. Lance Leopold for all I know could be a good hire. Luke Fickell- Harbaugh-Day- Meyer are your “big names” that could jump. Then there’s the pro ranks. That’s for those multi-millionaire athletic directors to figure out. It’s the same discussion we’ve had on countless times of Kelly. So so single minded thinking on coaching hires. Has to be a big name and has to of won a championship for it to be a good hire nowadays….

Harbaugh and Day are not realistic. Not leaving current schools. 

Meyer is toxic right now. 

Leopold isn't big enough, yet, for TAMU. Buffalo and Kansans.. nope.

Fickell is the only guy came to my mind the other night. But I don't see BOT, boosters, and fans would be good either. 

Mike Leach doesn’t need a five star quarterback. His system take low 3 star quarterbacks and makes them look like world beaters. Ridiculous passing numbers for all of his QB’s. Every year.

Would be interesting to see how he would do at a traditional powerhouse school, with real money, 4 and 5 star recruits, and a school dedicated to winning. 
He certainly might flame out, but as this thread title suggests, it happens. 

6 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Harbaugh and Day are not realistic. Not leaving current schools. 

Meyer is toxic right now. 

Leopold isn't big enough, yet, for TAMU. Buffalo and Kansans.. nope.

Fickell is the only guy came to my mind the other night. But I don't see BOT, boosters, and fans would be good either. 

Sigh. Here we go again. You asked for names and it doesn’t fit your narrative so it’s not realistic. 
Coaches get bored and like to try new things all the time. Although unlikely, it’s not unheard of. Harbaugh almost left for Minnesota this last season.  He’s already jumped to three different schools. So he’s been willing. Day has been talked about numerous times of waiting for that perfect NFL job. Leopold has won everywhere he’s been. Just like Kelly. May need that school to give him a chance. 
Look, Jimbo was never going to leave his FSU where he coached many years. It happened. Kelly said you have to back the brinks truck up for him to leave. It happened. Saban wasn’t going to Alabama. He wasn’t leaving LSU. He wasn’t going to Miami. It happened. 
This day and age nothing is unrealistic. Riley was happy at Oklahoma till they gave him a private plane. Do I continue?